Author Topic: James Levy lets see the new rifle  (Read 6875 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
James Levy lets see the new rifle
« on: September 25, 2008, 04:20:45 AM »
James,
How about posting some photos of the new .25 caliber and maybe tell us how it shoots.  How you are getting along with a flintlock!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Levy

Re: James Levy lets see the new rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 04:13:06 PM »
Dennis, after the CLA Show I fully intended to get right home and shoot the new .25 cal. flintlock that Billy Harkins had made for me.  I ordered .24 and .25 cal. buckshot and a dozen flints too.  I found myself concentrating on an upcoming hunting trip to Wyoming and didn't get around to it.  My son and I are back from the trip now and I will be shooting it soon.  It's a beauty!  I'll send the pictures to you and you can post them for me.  I have to admit that I'm a little bit intimidated by the flintlock since most of my 38 years of experience has been with percussion.  I figure it's time to change that.

James Levy

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
Will be glad to post them for you. I am sure you will love the flint after you shoot it a few times.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:23:43 PM »
Dennis, after the CLA Show I fully intended to get right home and shoot the new .25 cal. flintlock that Billy Harkins had made for me.  I ordered .24 and .25 cal. buckshot and a dozen flints too.  I found myself concentrating on an upcoming hunting trip to Wyoming and didn't get around to it.  My son and I are back from the trip now and I will be shooting it soon.  It's a beauty!  I'll send the pictures to you and you can post them for me.  I have to admit that I'm a little bit intimidated by the flintlock since most of my 38 years of experience has been with percussion.  I figure it's time to change that.

James Levy

Jim: Take it from me if you are expecting to flinch due to the flash on ignition don't sweat it..  After you shoot her a while you will not even 'see' the flash.  You will be concentrating on that frt sight and the target and at most you will only 'sense' that the lock flashed and it will not bother you!  assuming she is a light weight rifle do not wrap your support hand around the lock area and get your pinky in line with the vent.  You would be picking black powder out of your finger for weeks..  I've seen it happen!! ::)

Levy

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:32:41 PM »
Roger, Thanks for the words of encouragement on shooting the flintlock squirrel rifle.  I plan on using it all this season in a sincere effort to accustom myself to the flash in the pan.  The recoil will be nill with the .25 cal., so that will not be an issue.  The rifle is long (48" swamped barrel)with a .25 cal. bore, so it is not a light weight.  I don't think my fingers will be burned by the flash in the pan.  Hopefully Dennis will be able to post some pictures for me when he has time.

James Levy

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 12:00:15 AM »
I posted the photos in the Contemporary forum. Probably should be there instead of here in the building forum. I will let James describe it for you.
Dennis

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 12:29:22 AM »
Got a link?

Lazy me.

T
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 12:40:06 AM »
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:46:18 AM by Dennis Glazener »

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 02:38:41 AM »
I have to admit that I'm a little bit intimidated by the flintlock since most of my 38 years of experience has been with percussion.  I figure it's time to change that.

James Levy

Don't let the myth of the flinchlock frighten you. Well tuned flintguns fire about as fast as cap guns.

The mentor who taught me to shoot flintguns insisted that I dryfire every day for a month.  Then flash powder in the pan, to get used to the flash, for another month. Then shoot for group, off hand at short range (25 ft.) with a light powder charge, for another month prior to shooting full house loads.

Hmmm, What would a super light load be for a 25 cal rifle. 1/2 a grain of powder? Maybe a 5 or 10 gr charge?  ???

After completing that three month regimen, I won third place in a field of over 100 competitors  the first time out with a flintgun. ;)

Anyone can shoot a flintgun well, ya just gotta learn to follow through.

Levy

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »
Thanks for the training regimen JD, it sounds like good advice and it certainly worked well for you.

James Levy

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 05:38:29 PM »

James Levy

Put in a wooden "flint" and dry fire it for practice *if* you find you have a problem.
10-20 rounds a night for awhile between shooting sessions. Carefully maintain a follow through.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Levy

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 09:50:40 PM »
Dan, That sounds like a great idea too and it won't wear on the frizzen with the wood for a flint substitute.

Thanks, James Levy