Author Topic: Shoot attendance  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Shoot attendance
« on: October 11, 2010, 06:21:02 PM »
We had fine weather for our local Saturday 1 day line shoot and had 14 shooters,
then yesterday (sunday) we had our local (same club) 1day Sunday line shoot and had 25 shooters turn out.  Question is, how does this compare with your local clubs 1 day shoot with fine weather attendance wise??  

We are wondering which teat we are hanging on to. :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:56:30 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Shoot attendance
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »
I think our club has about 75 dues paying members.  Our monthly shoot (Sunday) draws about 25 shooters.   Every 3 months, we also have a Saturday fun shoot - metallic silhouettes & BP shotgun which of late has 10 to 15 shooters.   Our club is a bit odd in that few of the members live within 50 miles of the range, so if anybody wants to shoot Sat & Sunday both,  they either camp on site or motel it at the local "Baghdad Bob's Motel".   Sunday being the 'normal' shoot (club business meeting, dinner, and target shoot), it gets the larger attendance.

Another measure of how well your club is doing is how often you have folks apply as new members.

SCL

Al Lapp

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »
At our club on sunday (yesterday) at our regular shoot we had 9 shooters. Will probably get more shooters once we get the final approval on the trail (have to meet the inspector tomorrow morning) . I can't see any problem.Also at the same time he is going to look at our low velocity lead range (162 yds). Our club has over 2000 members.Next sunday at the gunshow we are going to have a black powder display. Hoping this plus the trail will bring in more shooters.   Al

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:01:53 PM »
Question is, how does this compare with your local clubs 1 day shoot with fine weather attendance wise?? 

We have around 20 shooters.  Most are "fair weather friends."  If it rains, 3/4 of them will not show up.  If it's hunting season, 3/4 of them will not show up.  If it's cold, 3/4 of them will not show up.  In in reserving the range this year, we eliminated our Nov, Dec, and Jan matches for the above reason.  We need a minimum of 5 shooters to hold a match.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline yip

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:04:51 PM »
      at our club we have 1100 members, and have problems getting 5 shooters. if it wasn't for non members we wouldn't have enough to shoot. can't understand it, we have 25 targets on a trailwalk, plus a 50/50 shoot afterwards. it started out fine but #s fell. the cost is $6.00 to shoot, $5.00 for the shoot and a $1.00 for food and such. i guess its the economy. heck beats me. if anybodys interested check our web page  powderpatchandball.com

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 12:49:57 AM »
There was a time when we averaged 18 to 25 shooters but as of late we're lucky to get 5 or 6. I think we've had 2 new members in the last 2 years and one of those doesn't show up.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Maven

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 01:34:45 AM »
My club began as a hunting club (cneterfire rifle) 50+ years ago, but it's now about 50/50 hunting and shooting.  Many of our 113 members own BP rifles, but  like Hank in WV, we're lucky to get more than 6 participating in our [BP] shoots.  We even allow inlines (but not with jacketed bullets).  In fact, Jim G.* from CT saw my post about our September shoot here and joined us.  Funny thing, we always have extra rifles, RB's, powder, etc. to loan to anyone who wishes to attend the event. :(

Thanks Jim!
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 04:10:29 AM »
One of the clubs I belong to "Looking Glass Longrifles" near Eagle Mi. has a shoot the first Sunday of the month we probably have 30-35 members and we average around 18 ashooters each month.We have a $50.00 dues for the year The club buys  (12 ) $40.00 to $50.00  items for the year.All the shooters that show up have  their name put in a hat, name is drawn for the winner and all the items are written on a piece of paper and he draws to see what  he win.Someone hosts the shoot and they bring something to eat and fill the cooler up with items to drink.The club gives them money for the food they bring.The host determins if it will be a woodswalk or line match or combo of both. The cost to shoot is $5.00 and a $1.00 for each liquid item . We have a covered range and a small cabin with a porch on it to sit and chat.

cahil_2

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 05:21:08 AM »
Our club has around 25 members and about half show up to shoot the first Sunday of the month.  We usually shoot woods walk for beads and don't charge to shoot.  Sometimes have a pot luck.  Plan to try to have more fun shoots next summer.  We can't get to our club in the winter months due to deep snow and no plowing.  We meet April through October.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 04:53:16 PM »
I just went to a woods walk at the Precision Valley Fish and Game Club in Perkinsville, VT. The club is mostly modern firearms owners but there were 18 participants. It was a blanket shoot with an added bonus dollar-a-shot at a hidden x for a 70 pound bucket of lead.

The primitive biathlons we have around here are well attended. The original, in Jeffersonville, draws around 200 shooters over a weekend. And that's generally in brutal conditions - around zero F with wind chill for added charm. The biathlon in Manchester in mid February draws 50+. Local businesses donate prizes but most participants (me included) aren't going to get near enough to the top of the list to win anything. We're just in it for running around in the woods shaking off the mid-winter cabin fever.

Another local muzzleloader club has a spring blanket shoot (woods walk and oddball paper) that draws about two dozen people.