Author Topic: Frankenstein 2  (Read 4135 times)

Offline T*O*F

Frankenstein 2
« on: October 11, 2010, 10:27:50 PM »
Let me preface this by saying you all know what happened to Frankenstein at the end of the movie, and that's how these guns should end up too.

A few years ago, I shaped a stock from the lock panels back and inlet the barrel for a friend.  Forestock left square and no ramrod channel.  Barrel was a 48" swamped one that we cut the front 8" off to make it a straight tapered one.  It was his first real build.

The tapered barrel screwed him up and it was downhill from there.  He put the underlugs on the barrel, measured the thickness and slabbed the forestock off, straight back.  Then he cut the ramrod channel and used it as a guide to drill the hole.  Ended up hitting the barrel with the drill.  In addition, there was no room for the tab of the rear thimble.  He moved to other parts of the build,  and progressively messed up each operation, not completing it, but moving on to another.

I finally convinced him to give me the gun to try and straighten it out.  Have applied various "fixes" to most of the mistakes.  The rear thimble will have to be epoxied in place.  Just found that the rear underlug hangs down into the ramrod hole.  Can you all see any reason why a gun needs 3 underlugs, since the front two and the lock bolt securely mount the barrel to the stock?  It will only be used as a hunting rifle, and believe me when I say there is no other solution.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline A.Merrill

Re: Frankenstein 2
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:55:57 AM »
    DON'T TELL ME, let me guess, his name is Lucky and he is going to name his gun patches. ;D  We got to see how you do this, post some pic's.    GOOD LUCK,  AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline whitebear

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 04:05:52 AM »
You could alwayse drill a fake hole and put a short pin in from both sides to look like the third underlug.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:50:10 AM »
TOF,
I see no reason for the rear lug.  I agree that pics would be interesting.  Pics of the barrel channel, Into the ramrod hole, pics of the other parts of the gonne that are messed up. 
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 08:33:30 AM »
Barrel was a 48" swamped one that we cut the front 8" off to make it a straight tapered one. 

I think I'm going to cry.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:40:36 PM »
    TOF, I think Ryan needs a hug ;D Poor baby. Is it your gun?    AL
Alan K. Merrill