Author Topic: Remington barrel on a half stock.  (Read 5712 times)

Trap4570

Remington barrel on a half stock.
« on: October 13, 2010, 10:01:39 PM »
I just finished repairs on a half stock rifle that was brought to me for repair.  The hammer was bent and a few minor details needed ironed out.  What caught my interest is the barrel is stamped "REMINGTON" at the breech on the lower left side of a flat.  I've included a link to the pictures:
http://photo1.walgreens.com/walgreens/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=4746082003/a=4735127_4735127/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=walgreens/

I'm curious about the time frame that this rifle was made.  I understand that E. Remington made barrels in various degrees of completeness for gunsmiths to assemble.  The lock plate has "Columbus GA " stamped into it and the stock has a banner on the left side that has Geo.W. Horne - who no doubt was the owner.  The rifle has no fancy work, but it is a well crafted piece.  At 11.6 lbs. I am assuming that George was a robust man to have steadied a rifle with such a muzzle heavy barrel.  I have aimed the rifle and it is uncomfortable to hold for any period of time.  I guess you get use to it if it is all you have to use.  I am including the stats on the rifle and I'm sure that someone here will have the patience to enlighten me further on the period of this rifle and possibilities of where it was built and maybe the gunsmith.  Any information or even speculation about this rifle will be of interest.  I also wish to thank everyone here for allowing me to post and learn more about this period of firearms development.  I have been building/restoring firearms for 30 years and now to have 3 muzzle loading arms come into my shop out of the blue has surprised me.  It is giving me the opportunity to learn something new that requires research before picking up a screwdriver. 
Here is the stats on the rifle:

Weight: 11.6 lbs
Barrel length less breech plug: 33 5/8 inches.
Rifleing:  right hand - 1 in 48 twist - hook slant cut
Bore:  .380 
Lands: .366
Barrel: Tapered octagon  1.110 at breech 1.025 at muzzle end before rounding. 
Rounded muzzle: .600 inches in length. 
The breech block is a hook fit with one wedge to secure the barrel.  I was surprised that the breech block loosened by hand, but I can see faint markings on the side flats where the barrel had been in a vice and the plug removed in the past. I did slug the bore and found no loose or tight spots.  I can still see tooling marks from broaching the barrel. 
If any other information or pictures are needed let me know.  I really thank you all for you hospitality.  Bob

scooter

Re: Remington barrel on a half stock.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 04:09:12 AM »
Among the few gunsmiths I have located in Columbus, GA, was
Cadman, Anthony arms dealer. 1861-81, Columbus, Muscogee County. Cadman sold revolvers and single shot derringers of domestic and imported manufacture [Dirs.].
Frankly I have not seen any of his work so no idea if this is his.
I could not pull up any but small lock photo as I lack the secret handshake to get into the others or enlarge.
Remington was predominately a gun barrel manufacturer until at 1840s. This shows how far South their barrels sold.
I assume this was a bench-rest target gun with that weight and tiny caliber.
With a back-action lock I assume c.1850 or after which fits with Cadman.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 05:23:03 AM »
I have a perc. half stock rifle with a Remington barrel, back action lock, double set triggers. Was about 38 cal. but had Jim Goodieon fresh it out to 45. Barrel was straight-1&3/16 across flats. Heavy but a good shooter. The Davis Gun Museum in Clairmore, OK had several that were similer at one time. You might be able to get some info from them. Sorry but I dont know any contact info for them.    Gary

Trap4570

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
Sorry about the pictures Scooter.  I'll try a different route. 
You are correct Gary.  I am familiar with the Davis museum.  Some of their collection was purchased from Ralph Foster back in the thirties.  Ralph Foster also donated his collection of Americana and Native Arts to the now named College of the Ozarks at Point Lookout, MO.  They named the museum after him.  Also the Colonel Sanders Museum in Berryville, Arkansas has a nice collection as well.  ( no relation to the chicken franchise even though both Colonel's looked alike.)  Documentation on the pre-cartridge arms was done long ago and may contain errors unless later attempts have been made that I am unaware of - and that is a good possibility.  I viewed the documentation of this rifle that was purchased from Ralph Foster in 1948 and it is listed as a rifle made in Georgia with a heavy barrel by a unknown maker.  Needless to say when I pulled the rifle down and discovered the name " REMINGTON" on the barrel - I was intrigued.  I asked myself how a New York barrel became mated with a Columbus GA lock for a man who appeared to live in Penn State and who did it?  It also crossed my mind that this could be a after the fact assembly of parts to make a complete rifle.  The fit of the lock and barrel seem exact to me though.  The owner brought me two rifles that have hung on his wall since the forties and he was worried about the condition of the wood and wanted them cleaned.  I have not touched the other rifle as of yet and I'm sure it might also hold some interesting secrets since it was a Ralph Foster rifle as well.  I'm sure I will be posting about it in the future as well as a Leman rifle that I have been asked to rebuild for another person.  The barrel was found in a pile of iron behind a barn and what was left of the stock was found in the barn rafters. Thanks to all for your patience - I'm learning a lot reading your posts.
Bob

Trap4570

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 07:44:13 PM »

I hope these pictures are a bit better

That is about the best focus I can get. 

scooter

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:48:36 AM »
First, I'm sorry I cannot find your connexion to State Penn. I'm interested since it's close where I live and my nephew Dr V E Whisker III is in nuclear engineering there. That said, it is not surprising that parts migrate all over USA. By time this gun was made probably Remington barrels went by train many place. Also, the close up of barrel tip confirms this was a target gun and once had a false muzzle to expedite tight loading. I am perfectly willing to believe that gun was made as suggested in my 1st posting/

westerner

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 01:47:46 AM »
Looks to me like the barrel was turned for a bullet starter only. No vacant holes for a false muzzle.  The screw holding the under rib is unusual. Solder was the standard method of attachment.

Joe.  :)

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 06:16:25 AM »
Remington cast steel barrel blanks were used by gunsmiths just about everywhere, along with those by Hitchcock & Muzzy; J H Johnston; and a number of others.  I would not assume that it was purchased from Remington as a finished barrel. It was probably bored to the desired caliber and rifled by the gunsmith. Remington barrel blanks are found on many Midwestern-made rifles, but if you compare the rifling, they are nearly all quite different.

Yes, the muzzle is turned round for a guide bullet starter, but does not have the dowel-pin holes required for a false muzzle. It was probably intended for use with a picket bullet. A lot of rifles of this type are rifled with gain-twist rifling.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 04:35:51 PM »
Horne Geo. W. 28-May-1919  
this is his date of internment at Linwood cemetary in Columbus GA

Horne George L. 15 Jan 1860  was perhaps his Father??

http://linwoodcemetery.org/visitlinwood.php

Interesting footnote:      Cadman Mrs. 6 Dec 1882
                                       Cadman Jennie 18 Sep 1882

But apparently Anthony may have been buried in a different cemetery... He died in 1881 and these two died within 4 months of each other  in 1882.........Flu epidemic??
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:50:38 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »
Sorry about the pictures Scooter.  I'll try a different route. 
You are correct Gary.  I am familiar with the Davis museum.  Some of their collection was purchased from Ralph Foster back in the thirties.  Ralph Foster also donated his collection of Americana and Native Arts to the now named College of the Ozarks at Point Lookout, MO.  They named the museum after him.  Also the Colonel Sanders Museum in Berryville, Arkansas has a nice collection as well.  ( no relation to the chicken franchise even though both Colonel's looked alike.)  Documentation on the pre-cartridge arms was done long ago and may contain errors unless later attempts have been made that I am unaware of - and that is a good possibility.  I viewed the documentation of this rifle that was purchased from Ralph Foster in 1948 and it is listed as a rifle made in Georgia with a heavy barrel by a unknown maker.  Needless to say when I pulled the rifle down and discovered the name " REMINGTON" on the barrel - I was intrigued.  I asked myself how a New York barrel became mated with a Columbus GA lock for a man who appeared to live in Penn State and who did it?  It also crossed my mind that this could be a after the fact assembly of parts to make a complete rifle.  The fit of the lock and barrel seem exact to me though.  The owner brought me two rifles that have hung on his wall since the forties and he was worried about the condition of the wood and wanted them cleaned.  I have not touched the other rifle as of yet and I'm sure it might also hold some interesting secrets since it was a Ralph Foster rifle as well.  I'm sure I will be posting about it in the future as well as a Leman rifle that I have been asked to rebuild for another person.  The barrel was found in a pile of iron behind a barn and what was left of the stock was found in the barn rafters. Thanks to all for your patience - I'm learning a lot reading your posts.
Bob

Remington was a major supplier of barrels.
Once the railroad was in they probably went all the way to CA.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine