Author Topic: ramrod screws-smoothbores  (Read 3856 times)

Offline bob in the woods

ramrod screws-smoothbores
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:18:56 PM »
After being out this morning with my smoothbore, and digging into my bag for the screw/worm to pull the wad and dump the shot [ I came on signs of bear and wanted a ball down the barrel]  I wondered about maybe fixing one [screw] to the ramrod permanently so it would always be handy. Was this a common practice?  Seemed like a good idea out there in the woods this morning.  If I recall correctly, I seen some worms with a socket attachment on the large end of the ramrod, but don't know about fixing one to the small end .

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: ramrod screws-smoothbores
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
Scour permanently attached to small end that goes in the gun and larger end for ramming.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:12:02 PM »
I have on hand a mid eighteenth century fowling piece with a bailene ramrod and a screw is permanently attached to the end inserted into the stock.

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 06:07:49 AM »
I picked up several of these last time I was in the Hawken shop.  Slick, and very well made.  Kinda depends on the caliber of your smoothie, though.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 06:13:04 AM »
Thankyou all.  I believe that I'll make up and attach a screw to the small end of the rod. 

northmn

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »
I have one that is threaded for ball pulling that has a cleaning jag covering the screw.  It is only 1/4 inch I bought many years ago.  Handy though.

DP

B Staley

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 04:20:18 AM »
I thought about this problem at times myself; why not just drop a ball down the barrel?.....B Staley

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 04:49:19 AM »
I did that once.  The recoil was not something one wants to repeat or even to remember, PTSD being what it is today.  Also I expect velocity suffers.  The gun I was shooting should have, by all that is right and good, exploded as the barrel was very very thin, all the way back.  This was one of the infamous 14 gauge pieces sold by Dixie back in the late 60s. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.