Author Topic: Square to octogon barrel gun  (Read 2899 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Square to octogon barrel gun
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:50:40 AM »
I have a plan for a rifle drawn by Curt Hemlepp in 1976 that was based on a rifle in George C. Neumann's collection that had a square to octagon barrel. Anyone know anything about this piece? Sounds interesting. Would like to see pictures of it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: Square to octogon barrel gun
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:10:58 AM »
  This rifle is pictured in at least one of George Neumann's books. Track of the Wolf sold a modern copy of it a few years ago, and it was available in their on-line archive. The pictures are of very high quality.
                                                                                       Dan

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:11:19 AM »
Over the years I know we made two of these strange barrels, one was built by Dave Dodds, but have no idea of where
it might be.   Lot of fun to make, takes a big piece of steel to do a square barrel........Don

boman

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:40:37 AM »
Dave, I have a copy of that plan also and can"t tell you much about the provenance of the firearm but it was on display at Valley forge when I visited there in 2008.  I looked at it in the case and all I remember is thinking the lock looked  or reminded me of a dutch musket lock.  
FWIW curator told me they have all or most all of the Neumann collection and I was researching fabric used in original cartridge box shoulder straps. got to handle a few of those. :) Word was they were looking for funding and had plans to build a larger building to display more of George's stuff.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 05:07:36 AM by boman »

Offline JDK

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 04:46:31 AM »
Here's a thread that discusses this a little and has a of David Dodds square breech gun....not a great picture, but a picture:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=1235.0

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter