Author Topic: Other makers of hooked breeches  (Read 7203 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Other makers of hooked breeches
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:38:05 PM »
Anyone else make plains style hooked breeches besides Davis & L&R?  Does Pete Allen make one in an 1 1/8th size?
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Online smylee grouch

Re: Other makers of hooked breeches
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:23:34 AM »
You might try The Rifle Shop in Jones, OK. I dont have a current catalog so dont know for sure.   Gary

keweenaw

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Don Stith has hooked breeches for the Hawken rifle kits he sells.  I don't know if he sells he breeches separately but an email would answer that. http://donstith.com/muzzle_loading_rifles.html

Tom

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
Go to TOTW and look at all their hooked breeches.  I think they pretty well show what is available on the market today.  Yes, they do list a variety of 1-1/8" breeches.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline BJH

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:47:45 AM »
The patent breeches with the  Pa in Track of thhe Wolf's item number wiil be Pete Allen breeches.  I'll never use a L&R breech again.
BJH

California Kid

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 02:40:25 AM »
Pete Allan is a member here. Do a search. Great guy, I've known himover 30 years!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 08:04:29 AM »
I keep hearing about L & R's breeches.  Can someone post a picture of one please, and advise where they are sold?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

California Kid

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 08:10:17 AM »
Here it is here.http://www.lr-rpl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78:breech-plugs-a-tangs-model-hpt-fpt&catid=39:miscellaneous&Itemid=67
You can orde from them. I've never used one but have heard negative comments on them. Maybe someone will shed some light on this.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:13:52 AM by California Kid »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »
A patent breech with threads much over 1/2" is probably more trouble than its worth unless its a flint design.Short threads and an angle drilled flash channel is best.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 07:39:25 PM »
Thanks California Kid.  I agree Dan.  I think there are better choices for breeches for Hawken guns.
L & R implies that the slant breech gets it name from the flash channel angling or "slanting" back to the nipple seat, or that is how I understand their ad.  I always thought that it comes from the change from the perfectly perpendicular break-off in early rifles, to the "slanted" breech tang, in later rifles.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:28:55 PM »
There has been a lot of lip service about the quality of L&R's breeches.  Lip service often stems from reasons other than quality.  Since L&R has only recently added this to their offerings and since they also just acquired Baxter's casting business, I would intuit that this is the same breech that was offered previously by Baxter.  If so, then it has a long history of usage by builders and is a proven product.

If we are going to slam someone, let's give actual facts rather than subjective, personal opinions.  Opinions are like arse holes....everyone has one and quite often the person giving the opinion is one.  Enough of us have dealt with consumers to know this to be true.  There are some real wingnuts out there.  My aunt, now deceased, was one.  Much to our embarassment, she ALWAYS found a reason to send food back when eating in a restaurant....regardless of its quality.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline BJH

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
TOF I am not in the habit of damning any one's product. However, one of L&R's patent breeches caused me personal injury when the bottom of the snail blew out, ruining the gun and bestowing a nice blue speckled tatoo on my right hand. If I were a bit more computer literate I would post pictures of the breech. The web of steel on the bottom of the snail under the nipple was paper thin and blew out. Blowing the lock off the gun and fried my trigger hand on the first fireing. Thank God it was me not a customer!

P.S. Since I post under my given name I am certainly not trying to play Hide And Slam sir!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:26:36 PM by B.Habermehl »
BJH

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 12:38:37 AM »
TOF I am not in the habit of damning any one's product.

Since I post under my given name I am certainly not trying to play Hide And Slam sir!
Nor did I mention any names, but rather spoke in generalities.  Therefore I don't know how you might infer I was talking about you.  So, don't make it personal as its not.

Every time the name L&R is mentioned on this board, there is always a litany of complaints based on someone's opinion.  Since yours involved a personal injury, I would assume you would pursue it through insurance or other channels.  Yours may be an isolated incident, or grounds for recall of a particular batch of bad castings.  Or, the casting may well have been part of a bunch of parts they acquired in the purchase.  That is something best handled elsewhere than on this board.  It does not imply that all of their products are $#@*.  Your right to not use them is your personal choice.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline BJH

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 01:11:27 AM »
California Kid, The breech I had trouble with is the one designated for the percussion hawken. Pete Allen saved my hash on the rebuild of this gun as he had one of his breech sets that would fit the L&R lock I had from the first go round. Even though the customer probably got a better gun in the end due to the learning curve, no one wants tohave to rebuild a gun due to faulty parts.
BJH

keweenaw

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »
Some of the problems we deal with are due to the fact that we're using cast parts, not forgings.  I've filed into casting voids in cocks, plates, springs, etc. and found them in parts from some of what are considered the best quality parts.  All were graciously replaced at n/c.  So there could well be occasional voids in cast breeches.  If there was ever a case when proofing off the gun would be appropriate it would be with a cast breech.  I see in L&R's add they state that the breech plugs are x-rayed, presumably to detect those casting voids, but proofing would still be advisable.

Tom
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:10:37 PM by snyder »