Author Topic: neutralizing browning solution  (Read 6372 times)

billd

neutralizing browning solution
« on: September 26, 2008, 02:33:12 AM »
Just want to double check before I screw something up. 

Re: discussion a few weeks back about using ammonia to neutralize browned barrels. I have two barrels browning that will be done tomorrow.  I bought a bottle of regular household ammonia, non scented, non suddsing.  I'm just going to flood the barrel with it instead of a baking soda slurry?  Full strength right from the bottle? Then flood with warm water after that?

Thanks,
Bill

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: neutralizing browning solution
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 02:45:04 AM »
Ammonia! ?  I never tried it.

I know that baking soda in water works so that's what I use.

Don't wanna !$@! on your parade!  I just can't speak for ammonia!

Hope at least one of those barrels is for a log gun.  We need all the chunk shooters we can get to keep that match alive!

billd

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 02:48:58 AM »
Sorry Roger,  One's the .45 you saw me with last month and the other is a short barreled .62 for hunting. 

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 02:07:01 PM »
After not completely stopping the after rust w/ a baking soda solution, I started using  household ammonia and have had no after rust. Use it right out of the bottle and use a paintbrush to apply for a few minutes. Small parts are submerged in the ammonia. A hot water rinse, drying and I then apply Oxyoke patch lubricant on 0000 stl wool and rub lightly.....Fred

Offline rick landes

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »
I use a baking soda and warm water solution. One cup soda to one gallon water...safe, effective.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
Both work fine, but I prfer the ammonia.  The biggest roblem with baking soda is if it's been sitting around a while.  It seems to lose it's strength, and not be as effective.  Same thing happens with bleach.  Good old Bo Peep is what I use.
Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 05:40:58 PM »
I would wash them off with water and let it go at that. I have never had a problem.
Just don't dump boiling water on them. Just good hot to the touch is enough.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 06:44:19 PM »
Both work fine, but I prfer the ammonia.  The biggest roblem with baking soda is if it's been sitting around a while.  It seems to lose it's strength, and not be as effective.  Same thing happens with bleach.  Good old Bo Peep is what I use.
Bill
Yes, Ol Bill is on the mark..   been there - stale b soda is a bummer!! ::)

Black Hand

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 06:46:17 PM »
I use a thick paste of baking soda and water.  Not only does it neutralize the browning, but it is mildly abrasive and helps to get the scale off the metal with a little rubbing.  

I don't particularly like ammonia because of the fumes.  The baking soda I can do in the house in the kitchen sink....

eagle24

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 07:37:06 PM »
The barrel on one of my rifles would rust in places within a couple of hours.  I'd clean and oil and it would be back the next day.  I wiped it down with 50/50 clear ammonia and water and that did it.  No rust at all now.

Offline Frank

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 10:52:25 PM »
I used to always have after rust until I started using ammonia. Ammonia works great. I used a paint brush to apply and rinsed with plain water.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »
If you have some Montana Extreme bore cleaner try that. It contains a pretty strong ammonia for disolving copper. I tried it once and it worked real well but haven't had an opportunity to try it again. Don't open the bottle and take a sniff!

max

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »
I've used both methods and found that they each have their advantages. I found that the baking soda method didn't stop the rusting which appeared for several days after neutralizing the barrel, but the slow rusting helped to even the browning out so that I got a very consistant finish. The slight abrasive quality of the baking soda also helped to smooth out the finish.  The ammonia on the other hand stopped the rusting immediately.   After using either method I always use a good coating of Birchwood Casey's Sheath (aka Barricade) to prevent further rusting.