Author Topic: barrel browning  (Read 15312 times)

ERH

barrel browning
« on: October 21, 2010, 02:05:20 PM »
Look for favorite barrel browning methods

Offline Curt Larsen

Re: barrel browning
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 04:20:32 PM »
I've been happy using Laurel Mountain barrel degreaser and browning solution.  Directions are easy to follow.

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »
Davis Brown and Homer Dangler's products work good for me to get an even dark color when I brown a product.  Just follow the directions.
                                                                                           Roger Sells

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
several coats of Homer Dangler's Browning Solution work quite well for me.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 12:56:51 AM »
Am very happy with laurel mountain ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

ERH

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 01:16:16 AM »
dose anyone ever boil after browning

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 01:37:26 AM »
Boiling after browning will give you a rust blue, but there is a carding process that is involved with it.  I card when I brown too, so that the colour is in the steel rather than on it.  It produces a fine grained finish that way.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline BJH

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 04:06:37 AM »
I have used Wakhon Bay brown and blueing reagents for the last 20 years or so easy to work with and predictable.
BJH

keweenaw

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 04:40:37 PM »
I like a smooth plum brown color and use Oscar Gaddy's formula for my rusting solution.

Tom

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 07:09:28 PM »
I've not caught on to the Laurel Mountain instructions (no offense, Rick) and usually end up copper plating the barrel.

My own best results were with the good old Very Deadly Ted Cash stuff which contained mercury. Lovely brown (and made me what I am today . . . )

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »
Anything that will rust metal will work.  Most use commercial preps for convenience and color variations.  A saturated solution of salt water will work.  Another factor is time.  A friend fills the bores of his barrels with grease and stands them in a wooden barrel in his garage.  They rust naturally and when he's ready to use one, he just cards the rust off and kills it.

As a side note, every period reference I have read mentions that they killed the rust with linseed oil.  It's applied, allowed to dry, and then burnished.  This seals any pitting caused by the rust and prevents further rusting.  Barrels sealed in this manner do not require that the wood in the barrel channel be coated with anything.  Think about it!!!
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »

As a side note, every period reference I have read mentions that they killed the rust with linseed oil.  It's applied, allowed to dry, and then burnished.  This seals any pitting caused by the rust and prevents further rusting.  Barrels sealed in this manner do not require that the wood in the barrel channel be coated with anything.  Think about it!!!

Linseed, nor any other drying oil will "kill" rust.  The oxidizer must be neutralized and since linseed requires oxygen to cure, rusting will continue eventually lifting the oil off the surface just like a bad paint job.

Not sealing the barrel channel or any other part of the wood is irresponsible.
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 11:30:50 PM »
I have used Laurel Mountain, and Davis browning recently. With both, I have trouble killing the rust. I scrub them with baking soda. I have tried putting a baking soda paste on them, and letting it dry before rinsing. I have tried washing them down with Fantastik, that was recently recommended for the purpose, followed by the baking soda treatment.
Still getting after-rust.
Any suggestions?
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

California Kid

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 11:40:04 PM »
Try ammonia.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 06:08:48 AM »
     I have never had a problem stopping rust. Hot soapy water a soft brush, scrub it really good, let barrel cool ( water should be very hot ) Turtle Wax, paste wax for cars is what stops rust for me. Rub it in good, buff off then wax it again. Work in all cracks and groves around sights, lugs, breech plug, then wash in hot mild soapy water again, a tooth brush works great for around sight,lugs,etc. Now heat barrel with blow dryer and rub in 3 in 1 oil. Its all about, rubbing, scrubbing and HEAT. Do it like this and you will only do it one time.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 09:17:29 PM »
I agree with Al that soap and water to wash it well and then dry it well.... in the kitchen stove flame??  I then rub it down with AccraLube and then burnish. finally after a couple of Weeks and periodically coat it with Renaissance wax...seems to work fine.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

keweenaw

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »
If you are having problems stopping rust it's because the agents you are using are very aggressive and are pitting the metal.  It's very hard to kill rust in the bottom of pits.

Tom

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 06:59:25 PM »
Mike Lea's browning solution is my favorite.  Using a variety of the techniques above you can get anything from a grayish color to a deep, almost black, brown tone. 

Guy

Offline Simon

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
I am using Rustoleum rust reformer now. I have used it for several years on truck beds, trailers, and other equipment.  Follow the directions on the container, let dry then paint over or leave it as the final finish.  It drys kind of black in color.  I have used it on two barrels and is seems to be good.  They are both dark and look good to me.   I guess I will know in a few years if they continue to rust.  I have not had any rust show after painting over it.

Mel
Mel Kidd

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 04:05:20 PM »
I used the Laurel Mountain Degreaser/browning solution on my last build and I liked it very much.  I degreased the barrel with hot soapy water and then lacquer thinner before applying the agent.  I dampened some cotton flannel cleaning patches and used a single wipe on each flat just as the instructions state.  The barrel flats did NOT look wet after application but it worked exactly as the instructions said it would.  I carded with burlap and a scrap of wool blanket.  It gave me a very deep, matte brown finish.

As for terminating the reaction, I used hot soapy water with baking soda mixed in.  The soap reduces the surface tension of the water and allows the solution to penetrate deeper into any pores in the steel.  After drying and a rub down with WD-40 I applied bees wax with a propane torch, heating the barrel enough to really liquify the wax.

Now I just rub the barrel down with bear oil after cleaning and the finish seems to stay nice.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

JMC

g rummell

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »
I like a good worn look on my barrels and locks. I begin with Wakhon Bay cold browning solution and keep the metal parts in a sweat box made from plastic rain gutter with a clear plexiglass lid. In the sweat box I put a couple containers of liquid ammonia and salt and another with bleach and salt, and let it all set out in the sun during the browning process. When the metal parts are properly pitted, I remove and give them a bath in hot soapy water, then dry. Next I card everything using steel wool and a wire brush letting some of the bright steel shine through, and then give it a coat of Rustoleum's rust reformer which stops the rust and at the same time gives it that antique black/ brown look.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 09:47:30 PM »
L & M been working for me.   55 gal barrel raised with timbers to get the barrel height, wet and damp rags hanging on barrel insides.  I like to let them go to pitted stage - less glare when shooting the beastie in bright sun....So far baking soda and water washes work well; but must use a 'fresh' box of baking soda.   ::)

Could that be the error some folks make and get unsatisfactory anti rust results??

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 10:27:31 PM »
I've used aqua fortis, then a day in the damp box. Repeat if not brown enough.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 10:30:14 PM »
If your barrel is too polished, the acid or browning solution will 'bead up', or if not degreased well enough, the results can be spotty. Usually a repeat application will take care of any shiny spots.

Sometimes grease seeping out of the plug/barrel joint prevents the brown from taking right at the joint.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 02:51:16 AM »
Sometimes grease seeping out of the plug/barrel joint prevents the brown from taking right at the joint.

If your joint is "seeping" you've got bigger things to worry about than browning ...   :o  ;D  ;D  ;D
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.