Author Topic: J. Hayden  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Longknife

J. Hayden
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:27:45 PM »
Does any one have any info on the gunsmith J. Hayden, Oxford, Ohio???? Thanks, Ed
Ed Hamberg

msmith

Re: J. Hayden
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:08:41 PM »
Longknife, Maybe you have this info.American Gunsmiths by Sellers.Hayden, Joesph, Oxford, Ohio,1848-1886.Percussion 1/2 stock.(Hutslar).That is all I could find.

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 12:59:04 AM »
In SMALL ARM MAKERS by Gardner is states: Hayden, Joseph - Oxford, Butler County, Ohio, 1848 - 86. The census of 1850 indicates he had $175 invested in the business and employed one hand for $36 per month.  During the year ending June 30, 1850, he bought gunstocks, ect., valued at $804. Dollar volume of repairs not recorded.  The census of 1870 states he had $300 invested and employed one hand at $30 per month.  During the year ending June 30, 1870, he bought gun materials at $200 and produced guns and miscellaneous articles at $900.  Hope this information helps.
Gibster

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:20:20 PM »
Ed,
What has been written is all pretty accurate, however there was also a "James" Hayden listed in Oxford, Butler County in census of 1872. He was not found later and the name may have been a misprint. I have a J. Hayden full stock rifle dated 1876. It has not been dinked with and is in 90% plus condition. I don't know how to post but could send some pictures if you want.
Mark
Mark

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 06:06:25 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys. I have two J Hayden half stocks I will post pictures soon. Mark, yes , by all means send them to me, I can post them also with your permission........THANKS!!!!!! Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 06:03:39 AM »
To further confuse things, there was a Joseph Hayden working in Galesburg, Knox County, Illinois, 1884-1888. I have seen two signed rifles by him, both stamped J. HAYDEN GALESBURG ILL on both barrel and lock. One was a heavy, beautifully made, target rifle with a pistol-grip stock. It was silver mounted, checkered, and had once had either a telescopic sight or a tube sight.  To add to the mystery, the "J HAYDEN GALESBURG ILL" stamp was found among the tools of D. S. Hayden, who worked in nearby Monmouth, Warren County, Illinois, from 1858 on into the 1890's. So was a brand new, but bursted rifle, which was stamped " J. HAYDEN GALESBURG ILL". D. S. Hayden (David), was born in Woodsfield, Belmont County, Ohio, on August 13, 1830. He learned the gunsmih's trade from his elder brother, Joseph Hayden, in Oxford, Ohio. David S. Hayden did not have a son named Joseph.

As fine an Ohio-made rifle as I have ever seen, was made by "J. HAYDEN OXFORD OHIO". It had been in northern Illinois for many years, but may have changed hands recently, I'm not sure. It is a percussion target rifle, cased with all accessories, and covered with large and elaborate silver inlays. It is stocked in profuse burl walnut, and all accessories are also stamped with the "J HAYDEN OXFORD OHIO" stamp.