Author Topic: Southern Style  (Read 4294 times)

Gun Butcher

Southern Style
« on: October 22, 2010, 04:59:31 AM »
  As a few of you know I haven't been doing horns very long and I am still learning.
This is my latest, #12. It has a two part antler applied tip with a brass staple.
The base plug is elm and is hollowed out to reduce weight and increase capacity.
The base is 2 1/2 in dia. and the horn is 15 in. around the outside curve including the tip. As I am still getting the hang of "styles", I am calling this one a southern style until someone points me in the right direction.
Ron

Mike R

Re: Southern Style
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
Nice work!  Looks southern to me...

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
Tis a fine art this horner work :)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 06:16:16 PM »
 Looks Southern to me. Question; Brass staple, were they used? I do not think I have ever seen one, doesn't mean they weren't used. For that matter a staple at all on a banded horn.

Tim C.

Gun Butcher

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:14:46 PM »
  Tim, you are absolutly correct. I just had that conversation with another much better horner than myself and I agree I should have left the staple off altogether.
I kinda knew that about 5 minutes to late ???  It was one of those "what the #%*% was I thinking moments".
Ron

lonehunter

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »
Very nice horn Ron!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:45:47 PM »
 Tim, you are absolutly correct. I just had that conversation with another much better horner than myself and I agree I should have left the staple off altogether.
I kinda knew that about 5 minutes to late ???  It was one of those "what the #%*% was I thinking moments".
Ron

BTDT :)

Thanks, Tim
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:09:46 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it much.  It's a great looking horn.  And if it really bothers you, there's always the possibility of another applied band to cover where the staple used to be.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"