Author Topic: RCA #30  (Read 3860 times)

Bioprof

RCA #30
« on: October 23, 2010, 11:03:25 PM »
I'm beginning a build on a rifle similar to RCA 30 which is very similar to The Reading rifle on p. 38 of Hornberger's Berks County book.  RCA 30 has a lock very similar to a modern day Large Siler, but the lock on p. 38 of Hornberger's book looks like Chamber's Early Ketland.   Could the lock on RCA 30 have been replaced?  Which lock would be more appropriate on one of these early Reading rifles?

Offline HIB

Re: RCA #30
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:40:48 AM »
It is entirely possible that the lock on #30 has been replaced.  The lock on Number 28 looked completely original to the gun the last time I saw it. However, it may be a terrific conversion but I can testify to the plate being correct to the gun. The rest of the parts looked correct as well.

One of the issues with modern locks when compared to the original hand made examples is generally the blind screw found on many of the old ones. It certainly was a harder make but you see it quite often with the hand mades. 27, 28, 29 and 30 all have the blind screw.

In addition, take note of the external frizzen bolt on 28 and 29. That is considered an early feature as well.

You are on a great mission. If it were my project I'd most likely pick the lock on 28 but I could live with a good copy of the lock on #30 also.

Good luck. Keep us posted as to your decision.  Regards,   HIB

Bioprof

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 01:59:20 AM »
In the process of searching some of the old posts, I found a discussion of RCA 30 in which it was speculated that RCA 30 may actually have been made by J.B. Beck.   I'm not sure how this pertains to this thread however.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
I've not seen RCA 30 first hand, but I would not be suprised if some work has  been done on the lock.  The frizen spring is very similar to a casting offered by Jack Brooks.  Perhaps it was reconverted.

I would question the idea that an external frizzen screw (unbridled frizzen) can be used as a dating feature.  Bridled and unbridled frizzens were used interchangeably since the 17th century.  This is discussed in some detail by a past Muzzleblast article published by Wallace Gusler.  I believe this was in September 2008 but I can't find this issue to verify it.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:09:39 PM »
Lots of locks would look good on this gun.  We like to replicate the specific lock but chances are the next original rifle built just like that one had a slightly different lock.  The "Dale Johnson" is what I'd choose first.

Great rifle choice BTW.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »
Bio, you actually have several choices on these rifles, as the two rifles aren't one in the same.

Besides the lock, you can choose between the finale on the patchbox. RCA shows it with wire and nails going up the wrist, and in Patricks book it has a little brass inlay instead.

On the cheek piece side, the main carving design isn't exactly the same. In RCA the two scrolls and leaf leading up the the upper corner of the butt plate have little 'buds' between them, but in Patricks book, there's none.

In RCA the carving ahead of the cheek piece goes almost all the way up the wrist to just short of the beavertail. In Patricks book, this carving bit is an inch or so shorter in length. Plus the cheek piece itself is not exactly the same.

In RCA the trigger guard has the hump at the forward end of the bow, and in Patricks book the hump is missing.

Probably a few other differences as well, and no doubt the two guns were made by the same hand, so pick out what you like the best!

John

John Robbins