General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Track's Eastern Style bags

<< < (2/4) > >>

G-Man:
They look to be well made, but there are some fine makers who can get you a nice hand stitched pouch in that price range, or just a few $ more.

Like the rifles it is hard to say what a 1760s southern pouch would have looked like, since there are no (to my knowledge) documented pouches from that period that were known to accompany an American southern longrifle.  Lots of references to both though, so we know rifles and pouches were in use.

That being said, I think simpler styles persisted throughout the period of use of pouches so if it were me, I'd go with something simple, but well made.  I think a simple squared or round bottom pouch, with a plain, pointed or simple beavertail flap would be fine.  I have seen (modern) references to pouches of that period tending to be "longer than wide" but I do not know what examples that is based on - if so, I think we have to be careful not to extrapolate too much from one or two surviving examples - there was probably a wider variety than what those few (if any) surviving pieces represent.

I also second Art's recommendations on the makers listed.  For example, I think Cal's and Ernie's bags start in your price range and their workmanship is outstanding.  All of those makers listed are very good and there are some very good values out there in their work.  I think any of them would be happy to discuss your project and come up with something appropriate for you - they are nice folks. 

Guy

Leatherbelly:
Rick,
 Look up our own jasontn. He makes excellent  bags very reasonable. Ages them too if you want.

Roger Fisher:

--- Quote from: don getz on September 27, 2008, 04:02:05 PM ---Rick....I would be curious as to what 1760 period "southern" rifle you have copied, since there are very few Pennsylvania
rifles from that period in existence?   When people talk about building a "pre-revolutionary" style gun, they don't realize
that the pickins' are mighty slim...........Don

--- End quote ---
Now that is a good question! Can't wait for the answer :)

Brian:
Just take your time and do a bit of looking.  There are many craftsmen out there now making extremely nice bags at reasonable prices.  Many of these craftsmen frequent this site, so you should be able to contact them.  Now, as in 1750, you can pay as much or as little as you can afford.

Randy Hedden:
Rick,

The bag at TOTW seems to be large and overly complicated in comparison to early original bags. Of course we have no idea what bags from the mid 18th century looked like, but most slightly later bags, very late 18th century and 1st half of the 19th century, were small in comparison to the TOTW bag. I believe you could find several guys right here on the ALR board who could make you a more time period bag for the same or a bit more than the bag on TOTW.

Guys,

Has it ever occurred to any of you that the casual farmer/hunter just out to get meat for the family in the 18th century might have just carried his shooting accessories in his pocket, sans hunting pouch?

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version