Author Topic: I think I got them hooked.  (Read 2370 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

I think I got them hooked.
« on: October 25, 2010, 05:23:20 AM »
  First of all I took several different approaches to my flinching problem, Actually using advice from just about all who comment on another thread of mine.  With my first post I couldn't hit a 3ft by 2ft target at 50yrds benched with sandbags.  Now here are my last 5 shots 50yrds offhand.

Someone asked what the patches looked like.

On another note,  I had my two boy up there shooting their .22's  They ran out of shells but wanted to keep shooting.  I told them the only other gun I had with me was my Philadelphia Derringer.   Guess What:

I've been trying to get them to try for two years.  Then just out of the blue.... Yeaeeeee HHHAAAAAHHHH

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

RICH

Offline Kermit

Re: I think I got them hooked.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:47:05 AM »
I see more guns in your future! My daughter started shooting a TC Patriot .45 over sandbags when she was 5. Then with a Seneca .36. Eventually on to a flint .32. Fun to watch.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Daryl

Re: I think I got them hooked.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 04:44:38 PM »
It's great to get them shooting young enough, that when the hormones hit, they don't forget what shooting is all about, and come back to it.

Rich- the patches show a bit thin- the brown spots where the grooves are shots blowby. They aren't burning yet, but appear to degrade as shotoing continues with more burning as-in the curled wad in the centre with the burn hole. The top left and top right patches show the brown scorching that eventually causes burn throughs.

4 pretty good shots on that target - the one off to the right could easily have been a burnthrough like the middel top patch in the picture - lower impact due to greater loss in pressure and off to the right due to distorted ball from burning gasses rushing by - or launched crooked from the muzzle by the uneven burning gasses out that side of the patch - which is probably the more common cause in ML's. It could just as well have missed the target as hit it.  I have some of that coloured ticking that mic's .014" which I find too thin for a ball .005" under bore size.

I find that if all of the patches are re-usable simply by re-lubing them, from the first shot to the 50th, then that patch material with that ball size has the potential to give the rifle it's best accuracy.