Author Topic: Build #2 done "The Bean Pole"  (Read 13768 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Build #2 done "The Bean Pole"
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:06:17 AM »
This is my second build just off the bench today.  It started off as a "canoe" gun until I dropped a few magic beans down the bore.

This gun is built around an Ed Rayl 12 bore octagon to round barrel 6 feet long. The lock is a Chambers Late Ketland. It is stocked in worm tracked maple that started it's life as a rough cut of the "Feather" gun butt profile. It's a scraped finish with aqua fortis and linseed varnish.  The trigger,  plate, thimbles, and patch box cover are all handmade by me.  Jim Webb made the front thimble for me.  The patch pox cover is based off of 4 different original guns.  Many thanks to Frank Kobilis for helping me locate some of the  examples. The trigger guard is off a Bess that has been cut way down in the rear, inletted and pinned in the front and surface mounted with screws on the rear extension. The butt plate is of thick veg-tan leather that has been wet formed and nailed on with square cobblers nails. The front sight is coin silver.

The owner requested a mountain cobbled smoothbore with a six foot barrel. It was inspired by a reference to a shotgun with a six foot barrel being used for deer hunting in the 19th century by Charles Coale of Abingdon VA (1807-1879). Mr Coale wrote the Life and Adventures of Wilburn Waters and was editor of the Abingdon Virginian.  He was a member of the House of Delegates and my version of the gun he used was made for my delegate. Wilburn Waters was a famed hunter around the White Top Mountain area in Southwest VA.  I had family that lived on White Top when Wilburn Waters was a hunt'n it so I was intrigued by the idea.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:55:48 AM by James Rogers »

Offline yip

Re: Build #2 done "The Bean Pole"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 03:16:31 AM »
  thats the most prettiest gun i've ever seen, long lean, simple, put elegant. beautiful,just beautiful. well done

FG1

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:44:16 AM »
That is really cool !! Almost 7-1/2' tall ? What bore is it ?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 03:47:41 AM »
Just caught the fact I did not give the bore size and corrected it.
 It's a 12 bore.
She's 7' 3 1/4" total
It has a drilled touch hole with inside coning courtesy of one of Snyder's counter bores.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:52:20 AM by James Rogers »

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 04:14:16 AM »
That is pretty cool, lol!  I love the patch box, very simple and fits very well to the rifle.  Great color and finish as well!  That's a rifle that screams working man.  Very nice.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 04:18:08 AM »
Thanks Ed. It looks like "Sad Sack" sitting on the same page with your fine piece. I hope to get back to some earlier work now.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 04:50:07 AM »
  This gun intriges me, I love it. By chance do you know what the range of accuracy is?  I gotta get one.

Rich

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 05:24:06 AM »
Gotta be pretty accurate Lurch, The ball is two feet closer to the target before it leaves the barrel! ;D :o :D ;D

That's one sweet smoothie, though to me wouldn't an early Ketland, or round face be more appropriate for it.  Regardless it's a fine piece.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 05:42:27 AM »
Nice job James, all of your research on the patchbox really paid off.   ;D

Frank
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 05:43:50 AM by Fullstock »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 05:56:48 AM »
Wow, I like every detail and the length,wow. It's longer than my mantle so would stick out over the ends.  I think it would still look good up there. Great looking gun.     Gary

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 06:13:43 AM »
though to me wouldn't an early Ketland, or round face be more appropriate for it.  Regardless it's a fine piece.

The owner's idea was a 19th century mountain cobble which should allow for the later lock as it should have been a readily available import.  He followed the mountain cobble thought from Jim Webb.  He originally had an original New Haven musket lock for it but I would have needed to add wood to the stock to get to work. A store boughten lock and everything else scavenged I guess.

My guess is that in reality the gun mentioned in the Waters book was actually an import market hunter's waterfowling piece that made it into the mountains or an older northern piece.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:17:22 PM by James Rogers »

California Kid

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »
So this is the gun Jim was telling me about! Interesting concept and well executed. How does it swing on those crossers with that long barrel. How long did it take to get the barrel?

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »
though to me wouldn't an early Ketland, or round face be more appropriate for it.  Regardless it's a fine piece.

The idea was a 19th century mountain cobble.  He originally had a New Haven musket lock that I would have needed to add wood to the stock to get to work.

I really like it. L. Ketland is such a sweet lock.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
    Now that is different, I like it. The butt plate is sweet.  AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 12:43:22 PM »
Kid, the swing is heavy but more manageable than you think.  I do not like the short lower fore end and would have preferred to add some lead shot in the butt stock. Watkins got this barrel from Ed over 2 years ago if I am not mistaken. He had Fred put it in something Virginia which ended up being the feather gun profile. Not much "feather" left except that stubby lower fore end.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:20:39 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Knob Mountain

• Knob Mountain Muzzleloading
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 01:21:34 PM »
James, 
Thats a real unique piece. I like it alot. Any chance your bringing it to Winchester this weekend so we can paw over it?
Dave Keck  Knob Mountain Muzzleloading Berwick, PA

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »
James,

There ain't nothing "sad sack" about that rifle!  As Dave asked, will you be bringing it to Winchester???

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 04:47:50 PM »
Ed,

I believe the owner is planning on taking it to a shoot this weekend at Jim Webb's plus I don't have a table at Winchester. Just helping Troy set up.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 05:09:58 PM »
James,
Neat gun. Got to ask two questions, When will you have the loading stool finished? How will he carry it ;D

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 05:10:46 PM »
 That is Really neat, I like the idea of the Bess guard and that slim forestock really adds to the lines. Nice job.

Tim C.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 05:59:24 PM »
Lots of great details to ponder here! I like it. Agree about the stubby forend. That barrel seems to need more length there. It looks strange to my eye at this length, but then I reckon that's just me.

Too bad he couldn't scrounge a round faced lock too. ;D Did you have fun finding wood that long?

Only thing "canoe" about it is that that's where you'd need to carry it--on the roof rack with the canoe!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:04:37 PM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 12:41:40 AM »
Where did you find the ramrod?
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 12:51:38 AM »
Goose Busters! Wasn't that a movie?

Cool gun, James. That belongs up here in my gun closet, right alongside the Hudson River.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 12:54:13 AM »
That belongs up here in my gun closet, right alongside the Hudson River.

Would have loved to use that barrel on a Hudson Valley fowling piece!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 12:55:25 AM »
Where did you find the ramrod?

Had about 12 square blanks over 6' in the shop to choose from. My pick still had some runout.