Author Topic: copper  (Read 5691 times)

Offline alex e.

copper
« on: September 27, 2008, 04:43:37 AM »
I have read an account or two, both European related, as to the use of copper on fusils. Was it used in the America's  on rifles or smoothbores? If so on what & to what extent?

Alex...
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

don getz

Re: copper
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
Alex.....when you say copper, are you talking about the normal hardware on a gun....trigger guard, buttplate, etc.?  I have never seen one, but, I have learned that one cannot say it was never done.  I have seen copper used to make a
repair.  Allen Martin did a wrist repair by wrapping a thin piece over the glued joint and nailed the edges down......a super
neat job, it made a very interesting gun.........Don

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 05:15:52 PM »
I've seen cobbled together muskets, probably made for the Revolutionary War, with mixtures of mounts including a copper handmade guard, and some with cast brass that was red so it must have been alloyed with copper.  I think that at certain times of high production in a crisis situation, they just melted everything down and poured parts.  These guns were at Washington's Crossing Park in the 1980's.  One of those "military guns" (I think it was the English styled, walnut stocked .72 cal rifle) in Shumway's RCA was there also.  Either that specific rifle or one very much like it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »
I seem to recall reading somewhere that, other than native copper nuggets traded by the Indians, there was no copper available in North America until it was discovered and mined in Michigan.  Likewise, all brass here was imported until after this discovery, at which point it could be produced in quantity here.

It may have been in one of Kaufman's books that wasn't about guns, but it's in a box somewhere, so I can't look it up.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 07:34:04 PM »
Alex, 
     I have seen a number of copper inlays on longrifles, some late flint and mostly percussion.   I restored an Allemengle rifle that had a copper thumbpiece.   I have not seen it used for other than inlays and an occasional sight base.   Ron

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:32:19 AM »
I have a buttplate and parts of a TG from what was apparently an early percussion rifle. They are pretty red, certainly not yellow brass but they are not copper either. Gun metal? or perhaps brass with some zinc boiled away.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 09:51:49 PM »
I seem to recall reading somewhere that, other than native copper nuggets traded by the Indians, there was no copper available in North America until it was discovered and mined in Michigan.  Likewise, all brass here was imported until after this discovery, at which point it could be produced in quantity here.

It may have been in one of Kaufman's books that wasn't about guns, but it's in a box somewhere, so I can't look it up.

Copper was mined on a small scale in PA and elsewhere in the colonies well before the Revolution. Copper was discovered in NJ circa 1660.
These were not a Berkeley pit operation by any means but they were mining copper just the same.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_mining_in_the_United_States

Pennsylvania

In 1724 Pennsylvania colonial governor William Keith made the first attempt to mine copper in Pennsylvania. His mine, in York County, failed within a short time.

By 1732 the Gap mine in Lancaster County was operating, owned by shareholders including Gouverneur Morris and Thomas Penn. The mine shut down due to water problems about 1755.[38] The mine reopened as a nickel mine about 1850, and produced some byproduct copper along with the nickel until it shut down in 1893.[39]
There were several other small scale (by today's standards) operations in Maryland, Conn., NJ and VA that produced copper prior to the 1770s.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »
"There were several other small scale (by today's standards) operations in Maryland, Conn., NJ and VA that produced copper prior to the 1770s."

One was on Wreck Island Creek in present Appomattox VA

Rich Jakowski

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 11:08:13 PM »
Old Newgate Prison in E. Granby, CT began as a copper mine in 1700. Here's a website telling more about it

http://www.eastgranby.com/HistoricalSociety/newgateprison2.htm

Offline Carper

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 04:56:46 AM »
I have a super dooper squirrel rifle that my kin made after the Civil War that is silver and brass mounted. On various inlays small copper stars are inlaid into the silver and brass. They used a punch and then hammered the copper into the designs and filed smooth. It makes a very unique inlay and something you dont see every day. BTW some very late WV rifles used the new metal " aluminium" in some very profusely inlaid rifles.  Johnny