Author Topic: gunsmithing  (Read 3961 times)

reverend

gunsmithing
« on: October 26, 2010, 04:33:15 PM »
i have a 42 inch octogan barrel i want to shorten to 38 inch's.  which end of the barrel should i cut to reduce its length

Rootsy

Re: gunsmithing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 04:55:23 PM »
if the breech is threaded I'd lop the muzzle end... If not... Then it really doesn't matter.  I assume (scary) that this is a straight octagonal barrel and not tapered or swamped?

northmn

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 04:56:53 PM »
If its straight cut off the muzzle end, if tapered or swamped you would likely either leave it or cut off the breach and rethread.  Although some tapered I would cut off the muzzle.

DP

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:21:01 PM »
If it's parallel octagon, or straight tapered,  I'd cut off the breech and leave the muzzle alone, in case the barrel has run out, which would have been left at the breech when the plug was installed.
If it is tapered and flared (swamped) I'd take two inches off each end, and rethread for the plug.  But I have a lathe and can do that easily.  It is still possible without a lathe, but more time consuming and not as easy as with a lathe.
You see that there is more than one way to approach this.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:25:41 PM »
Hopefully this barrel is not in a stock ??? ::) :-\

reverend

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:29:51 AM »
no it is a new barrel and thanks to everyone for there input. 

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 01:51:31 AM »
IMHO, which end to cut has more to do with one's ability to properly bore and thread the breech than anything else...or one's ability to find someone who can properly bore and thread that breech.

God bless

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 05:46:27 AM »
i have a 42 inch octogan barrel i want to shorten to 38 inch's.  which end of the barrel should i cut to reduce its length

Personal choice. I did a 42 to 32 and cut 1" off the muzzle and the balance off the breech. Best to shorten the breech if taking off a lot. But I like to trim the muzzle a little too if feasible .

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 06:15:58 AM »
Most of today's standard swamped barrels have too much flare at the muzzle so removing an inch or two from the muzzle can actually improve the appearance of the barrel.  If you remove all the length from the muzzle then you upset the overall architecture of the barrel by altering the location of the small diameter of the barrel.  To pull it off correctly you need to remove a section from both ends of the barrel.  I just did this on a 38" B weight barrel.  I shortened it to 36" by taking 1" off of each end.
DMR