Author Topic: Favorite Hunting lube  (Read 9789 times)

Offline M Tornichio

Favorite Hunting lube
« on: October 27, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »
Just curious what you guys favorite hunting lube is. I like using hoppes number 9 for target shooting, but am trying to work up a load for hunting.
Thanks,
Marc

roundball

Re: Favorite Hunting lube
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:22:28 PM »
Natural Lube 1000 is all I ever used for hunting...and I add the wetter Hoppe's BP PLUS for the dry / low humidity months of the year at the range

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »
I use track's mink oil for a hunting lube.  It works better than most others in cold weather ie: freezing.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:45:57 PM »
I use Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube almost exclusively.  HOWEVER, My first load going into the hunting woods is a grease lube; either Crisco, the bore butter stuff (no I don't purchase it, had some given to me) or something similar.  That way if the gun is not fired it can be left loaded until next time out.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Buzzard

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 07:55:42 PM »
I've been using Young Country 103 for years with good results!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:16:34 PM »
Just curious what you guys favorite hunting lube is. I like using hoppes number 9 for target shooting, but am trying to work up a load for hunting.
Thanks,
Marc

Try Neatfoot OIL, not "compound", the pure stuff.
I prefer sperm whale oil but its hard to come by anymore.
Beef tallow has been working well too but I think oil is a better protectant. But boil the fat in good quantity of water for awhile to purify it.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline LynnC

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »
Crisco......Cheap and Available.... ;).....Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline elk killer

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 11:35:55 PM »
bear grease
only flintlocks remain interesting..

northmn

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:28:50 AM »
Crisco is as good as anything.  Had the tub saltless tub margerine recommended for cold weather which would likely work.  Bore Butters also OK.  For deer you are going to fire one shor if you are lucky.  Lube for that first shot is not as critical as some think.

DP

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 01:54:02 AM »
Been using mink oil but finally got some bear grease an going to try it.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 02:48:16 AM »
Around here we are simply dragging the flinter along for a hike.  Deer v scarce except in my son's back yard.  But; I use bear grease and before I got fancy it was Crisco.  Both work.  :) 

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 04:26:47 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I think that I am going to try crisco and neatsfoot oil next time out. I switched to olive oil the hunt, but did not sight in my rifle for it and missed 4 consecutive shots at squirrels. I should have known better.

Offline rsells

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 06:41:05 AM »
I am like a couple of guys who have responded in the fact I use Crisco.  I do precut my patches and put Crisco in a pan and warm it up until it is liquid.   I then put the patches in the liquid Crisco to saturate.  Next I pull it out and lay them on a paper towel until the Crisco turns back to a grease.  It has worked good for me since 1978.

The first deer I killed with a front loader was in 1978.  I shot the buck straight in the chest and broke him down, but did not kill him.  He took off over the hill pulling himself with his front legs.  I reloaded and started to run him down when I saw that I had set the woods on fire with my patch that had not been saturated well with lubricant.  What a bummer!!!! I was in the middle of a 14,000 acre plot and had set it afire and had a deer going to the bottom of the mountain.  I finally put the fire out and trailed down the deer and killed it.  From that day forward, I have made sure that the patches are thoroughly saturated with lubricant.  Crisco has been my choice since that time for hunting.
                                                                                 Roger Sells

jim moore

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 01:49:28 PM »
Deer tallow

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »
Mink oil, or Lube 103.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 06:39:51 PM »
I am like a couple of guys who have responded in the fact I use Crisco.  I do precut my patches and put Crisco in a pan and warm it up until it is liquid.   I then put the patches in the liquid Crisco to saturate.  Next I pull it out and lay them on a paper towel until the Crisco turns back to a grease.  It has worked good for me since 1978.

The first deer I killed with a front loader was in 1978.  I shot the buck straight in the chest and broke him down, but did not kill him.  He took off over the hill pulling himself with his front legs.  I reloaded and started to run him down when I saw that I had set the woods on fire with my patch that had not been saturated well with lubricant.  What a bummer!!!! I was in the middle of a 14,000 acre plot and had set it afire and had a deer going to the bottom of the mountain.  I finally put the fire out and trailed down the deer and killed it.  From that day forward, I have made sure that the patches are thoroughly saturated with lubricant.  Crisco has been my choice since that time for hunting.
                                                                                 Roger Sells

BP will set almost anything on fire with the proper circumstances. Patches that "blow" are the ones that catch fire in my experience.
I only had problems with blown patches, recently, is with dry lubed patches, water soluble oil with the water evaporated away. They don't burn though and I have pretty well given this up since it requires a lot of wiping.
Linen has a higher ignition temp than cotton and patching with this fabric (if you can find something with a tight enough weave) can help prevent this.
I have had patches soaked with Sperm Whale or Neatsfoot catch fire but only 3 or 5 over the years. I had these all at about the same time and I think it was poor quality patching material. The same rifle with what is apparently the same patching has not done it again in decades.

When hunting the focus is always on the animal and you were lucky to notice the fire in time.

As  soon as I get a deer killed, numbers are down ::)
I will boil some fat for deer tallow.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »
I've been using Young Country 103 for years with good results!

Young Country (#103) for years or Young Country for 103 years?  ;D ;)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 01:57:22 AM »
Personally, I haven't had a burning patch since about 1974/75.  It was around then that we came up with the formula that worked in all guns around then, and every one we've used it in since.  That's a LOT of different guns and different make of barrels. With a ball .005" under bore size and a .022" denim patch - grease, oil or spit - no burning and the patches are all re-usable, for multiple shots if you care to run the experiment. I have.

Flinter

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 04:24:07 AM »
I use Crisco like Roger Sells method. Except, I remove the patches and put then in a plastic snuff can. I think I am going to change lube, because I can only get around five shots. The ball will not go down the barrel on the sixth shot. I have to clean it.

Mike

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 04:49:04 AM »
Mike - what calibre?  I ran into this problem when hunting in very cold temps, -30 and worse, on our late season ML only moose hunt.  In extreme temps, testing loads with mink oil, babyoil, olive oil, the barrel got crunchy after 3 or 4 shots.  I was using 165gr. 2F at that time for moose. Why- it worked.  I then started experimenting with paper ctgs. similar to the military paper ctgs. of bygone years, but with a change - a ball close to the bore size (.006" smaller in this case) and used ordinary bond paper - about 18 to 20 pound as printing paper goes. It was around .003" thick, anyway.  2 wraps sealed with glue, folded over and glued above the ball, and just folded on the bottom, gave me an almost indestructable paper ctg that could be carried in the pocket & gave an 8 second re-load when using a leather disk capper.

The really bright side to this, is that they allowed WW balls and also struck to the sights and gave the same excellent accuracy as cloth patched round balls. The paper wrap was slightly engraved upon loading and all that paper crunched down below the ball sealed the powder gasses behind it so no burning either, just confette out in front of the muzzle.  I found I could shoot 10 paper ctgs. in a row until they got too crunchy, then, in testing, would fire a 'cleaning load'. That was 82gr. (3 drams) of 2F and a dripping wet cloth patched pure lead ball. That cleaned the gunk out and allowed another 10 paper ctgs.

Dphar and Bruce S. also use paper ctgs. in thier bore rifles.  One ALR forum member, buffalohunter, I think, experimented with paper ctgs. and found they worked in his .54 Kodiak as well. So- form .73, to .69, .66, on down to a little .54 - the paper ctgs. worked.

Incidently, the 'cleaning load' is something I sometimes do at the range after shooting the trail- up to 90 shots sometimes, to clean out most of the breech fouling.  In my small bores, .32, .40 and .45, I load about 15 to 25gr. of 3F, then a dripping wet patched ball and shoot that go-pow load at a big plate of steel, usually target #1 - the fouling shot plate.  It's amazing how little actual fouling is left in the bore afte this shot - barely anything in the breech, and, of course, only one shot's fouling in the bore itself, that shot being only 15 to 20gr. You must be ceratin that patched ball is hard on the powder - no air spaces allowed. No, it isn't hard to load as the very wet patch softens the fouling, alowing seating on the powder. I suggest not to leave this charge in the bore for very long - the extra, wet fouling pushed down by the wet patch might foul that little charge.  So far, it hasn't happened to me - knock on wood.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 05:49:54 PM »
The only time I ever set the woods on fire was with Lehigh Valley. It was spring turkey season and the woods were very dry. My rifle had been loaded for 2 weekends and we were loading up to go home. One of my buddies wanted to see a flintlock shoot. So we stuck a paper plate on a tree and I shot it. Most of them didn't think I could hit the plate so they all rushed to the target to look at that .40 hole in the center. Only then did we notice the little fires starting up. Luckily we were in camp and got them out and covered with dirt promptly.
Seeing as he patching was bought several years ago in bulk with no failures before or after, all I could think of was the lube dried out and the patch caught on fire.
For deer hunting, and turkeys from now on, I use Pure Mink Oil from Track. I used Crisco since I started BlackPowder back in 1977 and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.      It is true that it's almost impossible to shoot 5 shots without cleaning. But how many times do you get 5 shots at one deer with a Muzzleloader?
The way I dealt with Crisco back then in both practice and matches was to shoot 3 shots, then clean with spit, then fire the next 2.
I guess I'm getting to old and lazy to do all that now.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Daryl

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »
Last fall, I tried an experiment with the .32. I was shooting 35gr. GOEX3F, a .0215" ticking patch lubed with mink oil from Track. Some of the guys on the forum have noted that the little bores foul badly, so this would be a good test for the lube. If one was to foul, this is probably it. The grooves are about 1/2 the width of the lands, instead of the other way around, which would have been nice so required a ball and especially a patch to be very tight in the bottom. Apparently the load worked fine, as loading the first was virtually identical to loading the 86th that day.  There was only Hatchet Jack and I on the trail, so we did a lot of shooting. I was quite impressed with the way the mink oil worked in the .32.  I used the rifle's 5/16" rod for loading, which only took 2 fingers on the rod to push it down (after starting with the starter), then I'd put the hole in the starter knob over the end of the rod and give that a light smack with my palm to ensure the patched ball was on the powder. Worked perfectly, every time.  The rifle remained quite clean, without requiring any extra effort at any time to load - all day.  I-too am to lazy to have to wipe the bore frequently - I'd rather be shooting.  Accuracy was on par with spit or WWWFluid, as well as ball impact appeared the same as well.  One of these days I'll target it off a bench to make certain of any idiosyncrasies, as to impact.  I've found most of my guns require a bit more powder to shoot their best when using a slippery lube like the oils, Hoppe's 9 Plus and LHV.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:13:59 PM by Daryl »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 08:16:46 PM »
I was using the "dry patch method" and started a few fires - now I use a mixture of either : 1/2 bees wax -1/3 lard (no salt) - 1/4 Crisco - OR - 1/2 bees wax -1/3 mutton tallow (from Dixie) - 1/4 Crisco. I adjust the softness by adding or removing the amount of Crisco. You can use what ever animal tallow you want instead of the lard. I melt it all together - mix it - pour it into large aluminum muffin tins - let it set up over night then wipe the patch-de-jour you are using. You can also put it into small tins and keep it in your bag - use when needed.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Flinter

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 01:51:45 AM »

Mike - what calibre?  I ran into this problem when hunting in very cold temps, -30 and worse, on our late season ML only moose hunt.  In extreme temps, testing loads with mink oil, babyoil, olive oil, the barrel got crunchy after 3 or 4 shots.  I was using 165gr. 2F at that time for moose. Why- it worked.  I then started experimenting with paper ctgs. similar to the military paper ctgs. of bygone years, but with a change - a ball close to the bore size (.006" smaller in this case) and used ordinary bond paper - about 18 to 20 pound as printing paper goes. It was around .003" thick, anyway.  2 wraps sealed with glue, folded over and glued above the ball, and just folded on the bottom, gave me an almost indestructable paper ctg that could be carried in the pocket & gave an 8 second re-load when using a leather disk capper.

The really bright side to this, is that they allowed WW balls and also struck to the sights and gave the same excellent accuracy as cloth patched round balls. The paper wrap was slightly engraved upon loading and all that paper crunched down below the ball sealed the powder gasses behind it so no burning either, just confette out in front of the muzzle.  I found I could shoot 10 paper ctgs. in a row until they got too crunchy, then, in testing, would fire a 'cleaning load'. That was 82gr. (3 drams) of 2F and a dripping wet cloth patched pure lead ball. That cleaned the gunk out and allowed another 10 paper ctgs.

Dphar and Bruce S. also use paper ctgs. in thier bore rifles.  One ALR forum member, buffalohunter, I think, experimented with paper ctgs. and found they worked in his .54 Kodiak as well. So- form .73, to .69, .66, on down to a little .54 - the paper ctgs. worked.

Incidently, the 'cleaning load' is something I sometimes do at the range after shooting the trail- up to 90 shots sometimes, to clean out most of the breech fouling.  In my small bores, .32, .40 and .45, I load about 15 to 25gr. of 3F, then a dripping wet patched ball and shoot that go-pow load at a big plate of steel, usually target #1 - the fouling shot plate.  It's amazing how little actual fouling is left in the bore afte this shot - barely anything in the breech, and, of course, only one shot's fouling in the bore itself, that shot being only 15 to 20gr. You must be ceratin that patched ball is hard on the powder - no air spaces allowed. No, it isn't hard to load as the very wet patch softens the fouling, alowing seating on the powder. I suggest not to leave this charge in the bore for very long - the extra, wet fouling pushed down by the wet patch might foul that little charge.  So far, it hasn't happened to me - knock on wood.

Darrel, I shoot a .54 caliber cast in a .535 mold using 85 grains of 3x Goex. I was told that 3x does not foul as bad as 2x.This is shot out of a T/C Renegade. I really do not think the barrel was designed to shoot BP RB loads. In a way, it is kind of aggregating having to take the barrel off, put the breech end in some water and clean the barrel. Probably the reason I missed the deer in the BP hunt was because that was the first time the rifle has been shot since last year. Sad isn’t it! This is a good hunting load though.
I started to get into paper patch, but as far as I got was to acquire a small stack of 23% cotton fiber stationary.
You said, “I was using 165gr. 2F…” I did not know you could use that much powder.
Also, I was wondering about the spit patch getting the powder wet, so thanks for clearing that up.

Mike