Author Topic: Bent Lockplates  (Read 3145 times)

Offline 44-henry

Bent Lockplates
« on: September 27, 2008, 11:06:48 PM »
In a weak moment I bought this shotgun on Auction Arms.

http://www.auctionarms.com/Closed/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=8794399.0

Anyway it arrived today and I am in the process of taking it apart to fix the cracked stock. I have never owned a percussion muzzleloader with back action locks and I thought this one is kind of different since the plates are very radically curved to slim down the stock. Not having seen many of these guns I have no idea how common it was, but it is very interesting to me anyway. I'll post a few more pictures of it when I get some time.

Offline T*O*F

Re: Bent Lockplates
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:30:09 AM »
I thought this one is kind of different since the plates are very radically curved to slim down the stock.

Don't see anything radical about them.  They look like standard backaction locks as used on zillions of period shotguns.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Feltwad

Re: Bent Lockplates
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 03:34:46 PM »
The locks are a standard back action which were common from the period of 1840-60,this type of back action lock was associated to George Lovell of the 1830,s.The early ones have a separated sear spring with the later ones the main spring acted upon the sear and the tumbler.Over many years restoration work I have come across a vast number of this type and also the very early type of back action locks.
As for the name B&T Redefern my records to not show this name.There was a family by the name of Redfern who over many decades worked in the Birmingham gun trade the first was Bartholomew, Mathew and William  1798-1803 gun makers , Temple Row Birmingham.
Bartholomew  1807-1839 Gun and Pistol Maker,Whittal St 1807-1823,Mary St 1824-1833,Bread St 1834-39,

Thomas Redfern 1837-1850 Gun and Pistol Maker 57,Bread St 1837-1844, 5, Whittal st 1845-50.

The firm of Redfern later became known as Redfern and Bourne.

Feltwad