Author Topic: Gentlemen, What Style Rifle Do You Recommend for First Time Builder?  (Read 13206 times)

Mattole

Re: Gentlemen, What Style Rifle Do You Recommend for First Time Builder?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 04:34:41 AM »
Mattole, Give Stan Hollenbaugh a call and talk with him about his single set double action trigger for your rifle. Tell him the kit you are going to build and ask his advice. He won't mislead you and I have his trigger in two guns I hunt with and shoot at the range... it is the best of both worlds

Phone 717 259 9271

The S.H. single set trigger can be used
either as a single stage trigger or set.
It is adjustable for both setting pressure &
release pressure when set & no creep. The
lock must have a sear release pressure of
five (5) pounds or less. Warranter against
defective parts or workmanship as long as
not altered.
Comes with installation instructions. I am
told that it's the best one available!
     $65.00 plus shipping & ins.

Thanks very much, Tim. I will give Stan a call to learn more about his trigger - it looks and sounds great.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 07:17:16 AM »
Some people don't like a trigger that moves away from the finger.
Cam overs work good, I have a percussion rifle my Moore that has a very nice cam over in it, but are not as good as a trigger like this.

But these have to be made in the shop.
The drawing is in George's "English Guns and Rifles"
Its about the only single set I have ever used that I thought was close to a DST.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

GANGGREEN

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
I've had deer become alert at the sound of a set trigger being set but I don't recall ever having a deer bolt.  This thread got me to thinking about it so I went and cocked my Hawken, then set the trigger.  There's no way that a deer that was 40 or 50 yards away in the woods would ever hear it, even on a still day.  Obviously all rifles have the triggers set up differently and some may be noisier than others but I don't think it's a good enough reason to eliminate double triggers if you think you'd like to have them.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »
Mattole, I'll try to get some downloadable photo's, others have asked but I've just never done it.
I don't want to lead you astray about the lightness and smoothness of a single trigger. By that I mean a simple blade with a trigger that is pinned either in the stock or on ears in the trigger plate itself. Nothing fancy here at all. Just a blade that pushes against the sear arm when pulled. So there is no adjustment at all.
The secret lies inside the lockplate. Several years ago I managed to impress LC Rice that I knew enough about locks and mechanics so that he agreed to give me an semi advanced course in lock tuning. I had acutally built some target triggers for centerfires when I was a Toolmaker so I had some idea of what was going on. I just didn't realize the possibilities.
It was what I did to the lock that gave me a light, smooth trigger pull, with absolutely no jar to my ignition sequence. So in many instances a double set trigger can be best for people just getting into building longrifles.
Make no mistakes lock tuning can be dangerous for the new builder working without someone looking over his shoulder. I know.
That is why I will not reveal how I get my triggers the way I want them.
But if you do decide to dive in a good word of advice is; Buy 2 of everything. This way when you mess up the first piece you still have another to butcher while you wait on Mr. Chambers ( or Barbee) to send you another.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Mattole

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 05:15:04 AM »
Darkhorse, thanks very much for the clarification about your magic trigger. I think for this first build I will call Stan Hollenbaugh as another poster suggested and learn more about his single set double action trigger. If it fits, and if it's great, it will be much less expensive than having to buy another lock to replace the first one I would undoubtedly mangle in my search for the excellent crisp, light trigger!

I look forward to seeing images of your Isaac Hains rifles, if you get inspired to gather and post them sometime.

Thanks again.