Author Topic: English Pistol Checkering  (Read 3028 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
English Pistol Checkering
« on: September 28, 2008, 12:05:52 AM »
I am just about ready to start checkering a pistol I have been working on this summer.  I have maintained a considerable flat section in the grip.  I want to checker the back and front of the butt with wide cuts, i.e. hatching and then place a dot in the center of each diamond.  I am looking for input on the number of lines per inch for this style of hatching.  Twigg and Wogdon did this type of work in the late 1700's on their pistols with locks that retained a pointed tail.  I am using Chambers small Queen Anne lock and a brass oct/round barrel.
DMR

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: English Pistol Checkering
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 07:24:36 PM »
Hi Dave,
Based on my collection of reference photos 8 to 10 lines per inch would probably be right if you are looking to duplicate the checkering that shortly preceded the finer more modern English style rather that the really wide cross hatching that was done in the 1770s-1780s.  Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to handle a pistol from that era, only ones from the 19th century that had finer checkering.  My guess based on the depth of the lines is that they were cut with a checking tool with coarse teeth much more like a saw than a file.  Sorry that I cannot be of more help.  Jerry H or perhaps Taylor might be of more help.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

keweenaw

Re: English Pistol Checkering
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 04:44:57 PM »
Dave,

I'd have to do some measurements from some photos but I agree that 8 to 10 is about right.  The trick to cutting these is to have the correct cutter.  Even a 60 degree tool will reduce the width of the diamonds too much by the time you get enough depth.  The grooves are much closer to parallel sided than V in profile.  You could either make your own cutter or take a gunline 60 degree cutter and grind or diamond hone both sides to a more appropriate shape.

Tom