Author Topic: Good Fortune Has Fallen...  (Read 6924 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

Good Fortune Has Fallen...
« on: October 29, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
 While talking to my dad this week, I learned during a recent windstorm a few tree's had fallen on the property.  Having a couple of day's off and wanting to do some treerat hunting I took a walk.  I found that a 30in diameter at the base Sugar Maple had fallen.  Instantly a lightbulb sat atop my head.  I have a friend with a portable Bandsaw mill.

I figured someone here could point me in the right direction.  Imagine,  I've been trying to figure where I should buy  my wood from and it falls into my lap. 8)

Rich

Offline LynnC

Re: Good Fortune Has Fallen...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:23:45 PM »
Their have been a many a post regarding cutting, stacking and drying.  A search ought to yield a lot of info.
Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 09:01:10 PM »
Thanx guys,  Just spent the last hour reading older post.

Rich

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 09:13:36 PM »
Rich, This is really going to test your patience. This wood needs to age , several years , I think.

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 12:19:52 AM »
At lease a year per inch. Just don't try what a friend did. He put some knife scale in the microwave and started a fire. He was never allow near it afterwords. If you need it faster than that look in to making a solar dryer
David
David Veith

billd

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 02:34:45 AM »
Rich,   Not trying to burst your bubble, some wind feld trees have lots of stress cracks. 

David,   Daniel (Dunlaps Woodcrafts) told me they are experimenting with a microwave kiln.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 02:36:36 AM »
       Now lets see,   A man of your patience, and meticulous approach to gun building should have a chunk of that wood on a gun within the next month.....
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Birddog6

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 02:47:10 AM »
I can tell right off, just buy a blank or stock.  If you want to fool with the log & cutting & etc., fine. But I can tell you there is allot that can go wrong in waiting the 3 years for it to dry & even then you may find flaws in it that render it useless for a gunstock & that is very disappointing.  I have done this 3-4 times now.  Never get out of them what I think I am going to.  Main issue with me is I want grain curve thru the wrist, and if it don't have that, it is firewood or furniture wood, not a gunstock.

But you can buy good stock & have the rifle built long before the wood dries. Then if ya end up with a couple of stocks fine, and if not, you have some good dry firewood or furniture wood.

If you do cut the logs to planks. Cut them all at least 1' longer than you think you will want. (I go 2' longer)

Cut them 2.75 to 3" thick, this give you a little room for shrinkage & also room to move the pattern in the plank.

Buy real log sealer for the ends of the logs a & seal them as soon as you cut them. Then seal them 2-3 more times on the ends & all knots when you cut the planks.

Stack the wood on level concrete on 1" furing strips 1' apart & on each end & start on the furing strips.

Put a plank, row of strips over the other strips & then another plank, row of strips, etc, so when you look at it all the strips are directly over each other & you have support.

When you get to the top, stack  a 4" x 8" x 16" concrete cap block over each place a furring strip is. So a 6' plank will take 7 blocks turned sideways. Then a piece of plastic over that but just over the top & down the sides loosely so it can breath.

Now when I do it, I spray each plank with termite spray all sides Before I stack them.  Then I spray the whole stack each year.

Leave it sit in the dry for 3 years (1" per year in thickness)

Have done it this way for years & it has always worked out well.  Really depends on the quality of the tree you cut. Just because it is maple or cherry or walnut, doesn't mean it will make a good gunstock.

Keith Lisle

Rootsy

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 03:35:40 AM »
When sawing for gunstock blanks is there a preference between straight saw, rift, quarter, etc? 

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 04:49:24 AM »
Rich, don't listen to these Jokers, go ahead and try it, just plan on it being good to work when your sons are of legal drinking age. :o  It's the ultimate test of your patience, but could be worth the wait, if curly or flamed.  With luck you will be on build 20 or 30 by then. ;D

Bill

Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 05:34:45 AM »
If you have the extra time and ability,go for it.  Just don;t tie up too much money. I found someone who only charged me $40 to saw up my tree.  I ended up getting 8 planks.  Out of those, I got 8 full stocks and 4 half stocks.  It's been almost two years now.
  Above all, wait to use it.  I plan on moving my blanks to the attic this spring and letting them set there for a couple more years.  Plan on waiting 3 to 5 years. 
                                                                            Brian
B. Lakatos

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 05:11:44 PM »
I know the people who have made the pilgramage to Dixon's will know who I refer to, Ed Smith the guy who sells blanks in the lower field when you first get there.  I plan to trade the log/s for a stock or two.
       Now lets see,   A man of your patience, and meticulous approach to gun building should have a chunk of that wood on a gun within the next month.....

Hit the nail on the head. Although... I am learning to be more patient as time goes on.(  Just wish it would hurry up ;D)

Thanks    Rich

msw

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 11:19:22 PM »
for what it's worth, i would 'go for it.'  at worst case, you add to your subject matter knowledge, and i think that there's a better than fair chance that when you finally do get the thing dry (it will take at least three years), you'll have something that is exclusively yours and unique unto itself.

best of luck with your project!

digger

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 04:49:34 PM »
I say go for it. Worst case it's a learning experience, best case you get a really nice stock you really made from scratch. Sounds like there is plenty of good information and help here to get you through it.