Author Topic: Stock work  (Read 5560 times)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Stock work
« on: October 30, 2010, 07:54:41 PM »
Question for the masses;
 I have 4 long rifle stocks and barrels I want to send off and have inletted. How do you all pack them and who do you use as shippers? Any caveats - suggestions? I was planning to send the barrels by themselves. I normally do this work by hand but after my heart attack I just don't want to exert myself that much anymore.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Stock work
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 11:43:21 PM »
If you dont have any shipping tubes for the barrels you can get some at the UPS store and I'm sure other places too. Shipping stock blanks as is, is one option for the wood but I never liked that as I'm a wory wart about what might happen to it in an unprotected state like that. Cardboard boxes or home made crates might be something to consider.   Good luck and best wishes   Gary

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:02:40 AM »
I rout the edges of the wood with a corner radius and ship like that. If a barrel is going with it, I tape that right to the top of the stock. Cover the barrel and forestock with a cardboard wrap, and away she goes.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:08:31 AM »
I just tape the barrel underneath the part of the blank that is for the forearm. If the barrel is too long I do like Acer tape it to the top. I ALWAYS use USPS Priority Mail, learned my lesson with UPS, took me about 8 months to collect on a damaged rifle. So far no problems with USPS Priority Mail.

As far as who to get to do the work, I use:

Mark Weader with
Jack's Mountain Stocks
Phone No is 717 543 5370.
Jack's Mountain Stock Co
101 Cave Ln
McClure Pa 17841

I have not seen anyone do a better job, top notch inletting work, barrel looks like
it was grown in the wood!

I think he will be going on vacation pretty soon, hunting so if interested in using him that might delay the work.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChipK

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 06:50:36 AM »
Get a hold of Dave Rase, who is on this list.  His inlets are so tight that none if any extra inletting is needed.  He knows how to ship everything back and forth the safest and cheapest.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 05:48:14 PM »
I second David Rase.  The tightest, most perfect inlets you've ever seen.

Give him a profile, and lay out the stock on the wood.  He'll inlet the barrel, ramrod pipe, and mill the whole forestock down to that level.

It's a beautiful thing!!!!
In His grip,

Dane

billd

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 06:30:20 PM »
Where do you live?  Dave Rase is in Washington State. Dave Keck is in Pa. If you close enough, drive on over. 4 stocks shipped both ways will add up to a considerable sum.
Bill

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »
Thanks all -- very good info.  Dave Rase is the closest but at this time he only does the inletting and ramrod work. I was looking also to get the butt profiled - it will save me some work. Any recommendations as to who also does profiling  ???? I think I will use the banding machine at work and send them off as a group - and I like Dennis USPS method - never did like UPS!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 11:32:10 PM »
I would consider shipping them by motor freight, take a little longer than mail but probably cheaper, as you're talking around fifty pounds or more for blanks, and stocks  I'd make a box of 1x4 and 1/4 inch plywood and drywall screws, pack them in blister pack or shredded paper.  Fred miller can also cut channels for you, and along with Dave Keck can rough out a profile from the lock back, He's an east coaster as well.  Last one I sent to Dave on the west cast from Michigan cost almost $90 round trip, not counting the very reasonable charge Dave hit me with.  A lot of the Pakmail places will ship motor freight.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:33:44 PM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 01:33:02 AM »
Fred Miller has the most patterns but Dave Keck and Mark Weader both have a few patterns. Shipping costs are a big factor. I know Fred and Mark sometimes have wood they will sell and at the cost of shipping long distance you can almost buy the blanks from them rather than ship yours to them! Dave Keck is a member here maybe he can chime in on whether he has wood in stock.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline flehto

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »
Lately I've been shipping to Dave Rase and his work is beyond reproach.  Living in Wisconsin  has it's rewards but paying the shipping to either coast isn't one of them. Ship the bbl in the tube that it came w/ and I  tape on cardboard  which has been cut to the blank contour on which I write the addresses.....Fred

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 05:21:08 PM »
I'll have to ask about the cost of a stock or three - I got about 10 stocks in the closet now and would like to use them up - also got quite a few extra barrels - maybe it's time to have a sale! Thanks all for your help --- ;D