Author Topic: shooting Jim Kibler's flintlock  (Read 50556 times)

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: shooting Jim Kibler's flintlock
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2010, 09:54:35 PM »
Flinter,

Perhaps you are not cleaning the rifle well.  The vent is internally coned and has a .070" hole.  There should be no problem with this set-up.  I shot at least 20 times and had no problems.   I would suggest to carefully remove the barrel put it in a bucket of water and flush it out well.  You should not be having these difficulties.  If you can't get this resolved please contact me.  With regards to loading, I would suggest dropping to a .530" ball if using patching in the range of .020".  Performance should be fine wth this combination. 

Jim

Flinter

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2010, 04:29:01 AM »
I fell like I should not have to say this, but there is nothing wrong with Jim’s workmanship or design that is causing my problem. When someone looks at Jim’s flintlock I usually say, “The man that built this rifle Jim Kibler is among one of the top builders of custom flintlock rifles in the United States.
All the problems I am having with the rifle is my fault. I find it strange that the flint went out when I was having problems. After firing around fifty times over a several day period, I found the vent hole was partially plugged I thoroughly cleaned the touch hole out, so I now have a vent pick. Since then I have had no problem or flash in the pan. 
All right!!!  ;D

I am working on my shooting bench, so it may be a few days before I can do any accurate shooting or load testing.

Mike

Flinter

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I refinished my shooting bench last week and started back load testing. Over the past few days I tried the .530 ball.

This target was shot 50 yards using 90/91 grains of 2f and the lubed .021 denim patch with the .530 ball.

Having fun
 Mike

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 10:53:48 PM by Flinter »

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2010, 03:03:36 PM »
Flinter--
I can't stand to watch that video. If you don't put that cigarette down you are going to blow your entire family to kindom come. One spark and it is over. We don't want to hear about you or your family being maimed by such a stupid act.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:05:08 PM by cwallingford »

JB2

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2010, 04:53:40 PM »
OW-ch!  I know I'm new here, but I've been shooting for over 40 years.  My motto has always been 'one shooting accident per customer, no exceptions, no do-overs!'

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2010, 06:33:25 PM »
Flinter,

Neat video clips.  I enjoyed watching them. 

Good luck,
Jim

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2010, 07:21:40 PM »
Flinter--
I can't stand to watch that video. If you don't put that cigarette down you are going to blow your entire family to kindom come. One spark and it is over. We don't want to hear about you or your family being maimed by such a stupid act.
I think ol Flinter gets the message.  Actually he was simply watching the youngster shooting while Flinter was a bystander.  He did not have a cig while he was handling and loading the rifle, at least best I could tell.  Of course no smoking around the loading "area" is the accepted rule... :)

Whomever took the video from the vent side while the rifle was fired had a good chance of getting 'spritzed' out of that vent.....

Daryl

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »
I don't see a problem in any of the videos however Mike moves so slowly when loading as to be almost painful to watch - but loaded just fine - perfect as far as I could see, especially great for someone new to the game. Good video, Mike.  The second video of shooting is fine as well as-is the third, in my humble opinion.

The video of him taking a drag on a smoke while his son touched one off - I still see no problem.  He is not loading while doing that (as I used to do) - I think he deserves a him a break in this.  As far as a single spark creaking problems - catch a gander at the vent while the rifle is going off sparks are flying 12" high & 12' to the right as well as 15' out the muzzle.  That's sparks.

I've been in a similar situation, overreaction, if you will concerning myself - smoking a cigar or pipe, walking along minding my own business and had someone approach me concerning the horn at my side - saying/screaming/crying that it's going to blow up.

I see much less problem with that, than a horn hanging along the dew cloth in a lodge, with a fire going in the middle -  or horns anywhere in a lodge with a fire spitting away - yet that happens and is overlooked by the same person complaining of the smoker.

I'm a new ex-smoker myself, btw - but as yet I tend to cut the smoker a break.  No, I can't stand the smell of cigarettes either- especially American cigaretts.  I see nothing wrong with the video. Mike isn't even wearing his bag and horn.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:33:27 PM by Daryl »

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2010, 07:37:23 PM »
Roger, Daryl--
You guys must have missed the first video of flinter smoking while loading. That is what I was referring to. Some others saw the same one. It has now been removed.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:38:23 PM by cwallingford »

Daryl

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »
I'd like to comment on the target Mike.  It's a good thing to see more than 3 shots as that teaches us that light and barrel heat changes the way we see targets.  10 shots is very difficult to manage, which is the rule in chunk- along with a lot of movement up and down as well as  walking for target posting.  10 shtos is a difficult game to master, for sure.

It sure doesn't help the groups, does it.  The individual groups of 4 and 5 are very good -  Whether a sight change, or light change, doesn't matter.  Keep up the good work.  Looks like excellent practise - and excellent practise makes for excellent shootng.

Daryl

« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2010, 07:45:13 PM »
Roger, Daryl--
You guys must have missed the first video of flinter smoking while loading. That is what I was referring to. Some others saw the same one. It has now been removed.

HA! - yeah - Ok - missed that - generally frowned upon.  Shame, Mike, Shame!!!!!!  {psst - I used to do that too - not good for one's longevity}

JB2

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »
That's the one that made me quiver too.  S'o-k.  I've served as a bad example more than once. ::)

JB2

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2010, 09:27:44 PM »
Oh, BTW.  Sweet looking rifle, and looks like she shoots nice too!  Great early Christmas gift.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2010, 10:05:51 PM »
I am the one who removed the first video. I was late for an appointment and had to run but I didn't want that video to stay on ALR. I sent the owner of the post an email telling him why I removed it. I just didn't have time to let you all know I removed it. I had a friend of mine lose a couple of fingers from a spark that got into a priming tool (closed one!) and I sure didn't want anyone looking at that video via ALR.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
I am the one who removed the first video. I was late for an appointment and had to run but I didn't want that video to stay on ALR. I sent the owner of the post an email telling him why I removed it. I just didn't have time to let you all know I removed it. I had a friend of mine lose a couple of fingers from a spark that got into a priming tool (closed one!) and I sure didn't want anyone looking at that video via ALR.
Dennis

Good move young fella, I had viewed that loading video twice and no cig shown so I only got to see the 2nd one seems like.  ::)

Flinter

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2010, 10:50:44 PM »
I removed all the video links, because any link carries a viewer to the folder that contains all the videos that was shot that day. I sincerely apologize to anyone that got a bad feeling or was offender by the links. 

Mike

Daryl

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2010, 02:28:59 AM »
Good move, Mike - hadn't thought of that.  Can you move the 'safe' video's to a different folder and re-post?

Your slow, methodical loading method (.530" ball) is easy viewing in it's simplicity and shows the ease of seating a fairly thick patch.   Some beginnners have difficulty loading such a thick patch and your video shows just how easy it is accomplished.

Flinter

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Daryl

I opened a YouTube account, and sent my son an e-mail requesting he move some of the videos to my account. This may take a few days.

Well, I nailed a deer yesterday with Jim's flintlock. Since all the bucks in my area have been taken, I decided a doe would be OK. It turned out the deer was a button buck with horns about ¼” above the hair. I plan on cutting, tenderizing, and bagging the meat today.

Charles, I used the knife I ordered from you a couple of months ago to dress the deer. When I finished, the knife was still razor sharp.

Mike

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2010, 06:07:30 PM »
Congratulations on the deer Mike!  Good job.

Jim

Daryl

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2010, 08:32:16 PM »
Congratualtions, Mike- good-on-ya.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
Congratulations on the deer. I am glad the knife held up to the test . I like to get field reports like that. Take care of that fine rifle you have it sure is a beauty.

Offline doulos

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2010, 02:08:14 AM »
Daryl

I opened a YouTube account, and sent my son an e-mail requesting he move some of the videos to my account. This may take a few days.

Well, I nailed a deer yesterday with Jim's flintlock. Since all the bucks in my area have been taken, I decided a doe would be OK. It turned out the deer was a button buck with horns about ¼” above the hair. I plan on cutting, tenderizing, and bagging the meat today.

Charles, I used the knife I ordered from you a couple of months ago to dress the deer. When I finished, the knife was still razor sharp.

Mike

Congrats!! . Allways great to break in a new gun
what kind of load were you using?  How far was the shot?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:09:13 AM by doulos »

Flinter

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2010, 03:14:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

I was using two loads doulos. One load was with a .535 and the other was a .530 ball.
Both loads were fired with 91/92 grains of 2f Goex, a .021 denim patch, and Hoppes patch lube.
Everything was shot at 50 yards on sand bags from a shooting bench. 

I plan on making two more videos showing the difference of how easier the .530 is to load. Most of you guys probably already know this, but it amazes me that the easier loading .530 ball shoots just as accurate compared to the .535 load. Although Jim mentioned I try the .530 ball, I was planning to since this is about finding the best load for the rifle.

Mike

Offline doulos

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2010, 05:52:03 PM »
Which one did you shoot the deer with?

Flinter

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »
I used the .530 ball as mentioned above doulos.

I am going to do more load testing. The next time I go to Little Rock, I am going to look for a tighter woven cotton fabric. I do not know if this will make any difference, since the recover patches look fine.
Also, I am going to try different patch lubes.   

Mike