Author Topic: Breech plug; Installed or DIY?  (Read 5053 times)

Uncle Alvah

Breech plug; Installed or DIY?
« on: November 02, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »
I'm looking to buy the barrel and breech plug for a John Armstrong rifle build.
The charge to install the breech plug is $25.
Thats seems pretty reasonable, but, to be direct, coin is tight and I'd like to save that $25 if possible or IF WISE to do so.

I've never fitted a plug, but I'm certainly no stranger to the use of tools, so the question is: Is saving $25 by fitting a plug yourself "penny wise and pound foolish" or a viable way to save a few bucks for someone willing to go through the trouble?

Offline T*O*F

Re: Breech plug; Installed or DIY?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:05:01 PM »
Is saving $25 by fitting a plug yourself "penny wise and pound foolish" or a viable way to save a few bucks for someone willing to go through the trouble?

The answer to your double question is YES.  Only you know your skills and it could go either way.  Either you get it right or you screw it up and have to buy another breechplug.  You decide, we can't do that for you!!
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »
I'm looking to buy the barrel and breech plug for a John Armstrong rifle build.
The charge to install the breech plug is $25.
Thats seems pretty reasonable, but, to be direct, coin is tight and I'd like to save that $25 if possible or IF WISE to do so.

I've never fitted a plug, but I'm certainly no stranger to the use of tools, so the question is: Is saving $25 by fitting a plug yourself "penny wise and pound foolish" or a viable way to save a few bucks for someone willing to go through the trouble?

If its done right its a good deal, but its not likely to be done right and would have to be done over.

Should look like this inside. Breech is sealed.

Not like this where there is a big fouling/oil trap. The breech was installed by the barrel maker and the vent by the gun maker.

Being able to see down into the threads from the bore is not the way it needs to be.

This is how the face of the breech should look when everything is fit properly.

You can see the imprint of lands and grooves on the breech face.

Many people even barrel some makers seem to take a pretty lackadaisical  attitude toward breeches and such. Don't know why.

If you take the time its not that difficult with only files and a magic marker.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline bgf

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
I just did it.  Bought two breechplugs, but only needed one.  Search here for posts from Rich Pierce and Dan Phariss -- those are just the two that come to mind as being particularly detailed and helpful.  It takes a long time (for the impatient like I), but it isn't particularly difficult if you have eyes and a file.  After seeing how some vendors were doing it, I thought I would take my chances with my own work.

Just saw, the man beat me to it :).

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 09:33:28 PM »
I am asuming that the barrel isn't threaded. If you have a lathe I say go for it. If you don't  forget it. Ya you will find people that say you can do it with out one.  But I will not but my face  on that gun. Seen to many problem over the years
David Veith
David Veith

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 09:58:37 PM »
I am asuming that the barrel isn't threaded. 

No, it's already threaded, just a standard 42" .45 Green Mountain.....

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 10:40:47 PM »
  Do it yourself.
 Its something all of us should know how to do, in fact it is the first thing that should be learned and most important thing....In my Opinion.
 I check all the barrels that come breached, most of the time they are ok ...but not always. You have to know how to do it to know what your looking at. Its not hard, just can be a bit tedious and time consuming....but that's building longrifles isn't it. ;D

ken

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 12:39:49 AM »
Great pictures! I have never seen it photograph before. I would breech it myself. It is the beginning of a great experience and will make you more proud of your gun. Take your time ,the gun will not be done by Christmas. :D

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 02:38:00 AM »
That is a hole differnt deal. Go for it All you need is a vice, file, wrench of some sort and sometype of high spot. Things that work Dyrkem (SP), majic marker.
David
David Veith