Author Topic: Brass-covered barrel?  (Read 3142 times)

R. Hare

Brass-covered barrel?
« on: September 28, 2008, 08:15:23 AM »

Esteemed company,

I'm new here, and hope i'm posting this in the right place!

I have an old "longrifle" barrel, with what appears to be Birmingham proof marks,
It's 43" without tang.
It looks like someone ran a drill through it for some reason......No rifling, and rough.
swamped octagonal, about .60 cal now.

But what I can't figure, is the part of the barrel exposed to view, has a coating of brass.
The coating isn't paint, where it has peeled off on the underside of the muzzle, it appears as though the brass was about 20 thou thick. (.0020)
The barerel is smooth where the brass was, but a bit pitted where it wasn't coated.
Has me a bit foxed really.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Richard.

PS, barrel is heavily tarnished, and just looks brown, apart from where I wire-wooled it a bit to see what was going on.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Brass-covered barrel?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 04:06:04 PM »
I've seen a couple of barrels as you describe, those that I have seen were only covered with brass upon the top half (i.e., the portion 'below deck' or in the stock was not covered) and the brass was very thin, almost foil.  It was sweated or tinned on.  All were oct/rd barrels.  My first impression was that these were later 19th century barrels destined for near or mid east trade, but I have since seen them on two American stocked guns both of late 18th century make, or at latest very early 19th century.  So, ???  I would say most likely some sort of trade barrel, probably English (as per your proof marks) or possibly other European origin.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

R. Hare

Re: Brass-covered barrel?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 05:18:27 PM »

Thank you for your very interestiong reply, Eric.

This one is fully octagonal, and  the brass is as you describe, only on the upper half.
I had reasoned it may have been a trade barrel, (for the "natives" who like things shiny!)
It came  from  Ontario. 
Re. the proof marks;
 I am positive it's Birmingham, but because it appears the brass was added after proof,  this makes the marks a bit indistinct.
If it Is Birmingham, the proof marks are from 1813 -1904.

The tang is long, and would be the full length of the wrist, but it is thin and rough, and could have been "stretched" at some time.
The touchhole is bored and tapped for a drum.
Barrel lugs are drilled for pins, not wedges.

Were the ones you saw rifled, Eric?
I plan on fine -boring this one, at any rate. There is still enough "meat" left to re-rifle if this would be appropriate.

Thank you again for the reply.

All the best,

Richard.