Author Topic: Barrel Proof Charge  (Read 18454 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Barrel Proof Charge
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »
Well Jeez guys, your giving me a headache.  I guess I'll have to go back to stamp collecting :D ::)

Never freaking happening.  ;)

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »
How about stepping into the 21st century?

A quick search provides*:
British
Rules of proof require rifles to be proved with a load that produces not less than 130%, and not more than 145%, of the peak mean operating pressure of the normal load.

Germany
The average value of the gas pressure of the proof ammunition must exceed the permissible maximum value of the gas pressure of the regular ammunition (Pmax) based on the listings in measure boards, the average value of the gas pressure of the proof charge or the test mixture the permissible maximum value of the regular charge or the regular mixture, by at least 30%.
If the kinetic energy of the bullets is to be taken as a basis in place of the gas pressure, then the average value of the kinetic energy of the bullets of the proof ammunition must exceed the permissible maximum value of the kinetic energy of the bullets of the regular ammunition Emax based on the listings in measure boards, the average value of the kinetic energy of the proof charge or the test mixture the permissible maximum value of the regular charge or the regular mixture around at least by 10% using a very similar propellant.
If the necessary energy cannot be achieved with the ammunition, the charge or the mixture, that is available, then a projectile is to be used, which weight is at least 10% higher than those of the regular projectiles while maintaining the same propellant."

Spain
Consecutive firing of one initial charge to exceed service operating pressure by not less than 35% nor more than 40%; two loads exceeding the service operating charge by not less than 20% nor more than 25% and two standard service loads.

Italy
Proof test pressure is 30% stronger than the maximum pressure of a commercial cartridge or maximum allowable service pressure (Pmax.) Pmax pressures are measured in BAR units.

* Disclaimer.  Information obtain via internet and should thus be verified by alternative sources however, the quoted sources appear to be reasonably reliable and considering the similarities, one can conclude the information is reasonably accurate.

Several descriptions of the proof process include references to pre/post test visual inspection; detailed highly accurate measurements taken both externally and internally.  One single-source reference exists to CIP proof standard for closed-breech black powder guns having a smooth or scribed bore, that being a single load consisting of 150% powder charge and 125% projectile mass followed by two charges consisting of 120% powder charge and 100% projectile mass.  Another single-source claims the use of exterior laser measurement during the test firing.

Dan...

So one cannot paint all iron barrels with the same brush anymore than one can do the same thing with all steel barrels.

If that's the case, why do you constantly do it time after time?

...There were and are ML arms that people shot/shoot upwards of 120 grains of powder and 3 caliber or longer bullets for 1000 yard competition. BUT. They don't carry them around hunting so the bullet can move, they (hopefully) don't have  free machining leaded steel barrels

Again, changing the topic because you refuse to answer the questions and again you paint with a broad brush without rhyme nor reason.  What bullets are those that slide off the powder?  Perhaps the too-small bullets not properly fit to the bore?  Should one not have enough common sense to understand that if the bullet is not properly fit to the bore it poses a problem?  Using the wrong components is in the same class as the guy who fired a 6mmBR in a .223WSM chamber ... that's not fault of anything other than operator error so what's your point?  There must be some point to this because you keep rambling about stupidity but never make a valid fact-based argument.  Not that you would let facts get in the way of agenda but a properly sized and loaded conical bullet will stay in place even when the barrel rides in the pick-up truck for two weeks with the muzzle facing down resting on the floorboard (that's about 300 miles worth of Pennsylvania pot holes and coal mine roads).  It's just a shame you weren't around to tell all them buffalo hunters how conical bullets couldn't possible work ... perhaps if you could have supplied them with your 16-bore PRB's the they may have been able to nearly cause the extinction of US the buffalo?

So I am not out in fantasy land. While its not a scientific lab test its still useful information that does not require referring to cranes and rock boxes.

Again, change the subject rather than answer the question.  Following your grossly flawed lack of logic, the basis of the question lies with the method you present as an alleged "test".  Engineers go through great pains to create LEGITIMATE testing procedures for such things as cranes because conducting a test that has the potential to make the assembly unsafe is, well, unsafe and nothing more than pure stupidity.  One does not test a 200 ton crane by shock loading it with a 400 ton load ... the logic is flawed just the same as intentionally overloading a gun barrel to the point where it has the potential to damage an otherwise safe assembly.  The only problem here Dan is your lack of capacity to understand the difference between "destructive testing" and "non-destructive testing".

"Provisional Proof" was done with the barrel in the UNFINISHED condition - no rifling, no profile - that would equate to proofing a "drilled blank" which doesn't matter for a drop of snot when everything changes after the remaining machining is done .  No surprise that you chose to avoid answering my question as to why you would intentionally run a potentially damaging load in a barrel without consideration of proper measurement nor the reality of creating the condition where the barrel could fail with a normal charge at some future date.  It's not a matter of being "frightened" it's a matter of common sense via the application of reasonable procedures that would not potentially create unnecessary safety issues.  If you're not conducting anything more than a "it didn't blow-up this time" test, why even bother at all?  By NOT following proper, or at least somewhat proper, test procedures, you're accomplishing nothing - just how well is your "tight patch" calibrated?  That's got to be one helluva patch to measure more accurately than a 0.0001" micrometer!

Anything is possible but its easy to let yourself slip farther from reality in doing this so you might want to stay closer to fact than fantasy to bolster your position.  The crane/welding truck frame thing gets pretty far from firearms applications.  Fortunately we don't weld on gun barrels, at least  I hope not.

So let's discuss that "bolstering your position" thing.  In one post you claim a percussion drum blew through your door because it was "manufactured wrong because there was a rebated area behind the threads and that it was made from brittle cold-rolled steel" ... in another post, you claim the same drum blew-out because "I didn't have it supported by the lock plate" - so what really caused that drum to blow out?

While we're on the "bolstering your position" thing ... you babbled on and on about "obtaining a seal at the breech face yet when confronted with the fact that such is impossible by a man who works with extreme pressure and temperature containment for a living, you completely ignored the facts by choosing to go way off-topic just as you've done in this post and numerous others.  Same breechplug topic, in one post you claim that you would "never" install a vent liner that interrupts the breech threads/face then in several other posts you brag about using a cupped breech face and installing the liner right through the breech threads while making the unsubstantiated claim that the latter is "the strongest breech".  What documentation can you provide to back up that claim?  I mean considering that it is proven fact that the first three threads of a threaded connection carry 73% of the total load, obviously you have some sort of paperwork from a pressure vessel testing facility to substantiate your claim that the breech strength is increased by drilling a hole though the breech threads.

Most were from people shooting Maxi-balls in Wal-mart specials and even cheaper copies of Wal-Mart specials.

Well Dan, if you go back to the mid-70's/early 80's time frame you'll find a test done, featured in a gun rag, where they took a CVA and I believe a T/C possibly a third barrel and put them to destructive testing.  IIRC, none of them blew with charges of like 600gr of powder and 1000gr of lead.  That's besides the point, you're the only one talking about Wal-Mart guns ... as usual, you choose to avoid the real issues and go off on a tangent about something completely different.

Let's go back to the fantasy land thing...

Dphariss:
October 28, 2008 - Barrel length and velocity??
"BP and Smokeless are very much not the same thing. Some smokeless pistol cartridges will develop maximum pressure before the bullet gets much past the end of the cartridge case.[/b]"

Then a few months later you said:

Dphariss:
April 23, 2009 - Thoughts on "load inertia"
"Yes, I suppose that certain smokeless powders will reliably "bump up" bullets. I just don't know of any.[/b]"

So what's the real story Dan?  In Oct of 2008 you absolutely attested that smokeless loads generate maximum pressure before the bullet clears the cartridge case but in April of 2009 you claim "I don't know of any."  and then go on to claim that black powder bumps the bullet up much faster than smokeless.

As for your comments on "cold rolled", perhaps you would be well served learning a bit about steel production.  Those old Buick bumpers don't go into a pile then get rolled out, the melt comes from the furnace and gets hot-rolled into large ingots.  The large ingots are then re-heated and hot-cut and hot-rolled into structural shapes or billet blanks.  Billet blanks then get re-heated and hot-rolled again to reduce their size for smaller structural shapes, sheet stock and cold forming blanks.  Thus your "cold-rolled" alloy goes through 3 or more hot-rollings before even getting to the cold-roll forming stage.  At that point there's two types of material, "certified alloy" and "non-certified", the certified goes on to become "certified alloy stock" and the non-certified goes on to become all the junk that doesn't require the use of a certified alloy.  Thus, your theory about "inclusions" coming from the cold-rolling process are totally unfounded because the process changes the shape, not the composition of the alloy.  Besides, if heat-treating cannot change the properties of the finished product from cold-rolling as you claim, why is it that the majority of "hot-rolled" is no longer "rolled" but rather die-drawn ... a process that imparts a lot of stress into the finished stock which is why it all goes through post-forming heat-treatment just like cold-rolled does.  Of course, that's not a detailed description of the process but enough of Cliff Notes version to get the point across.  BTW, when it comes to "certified alloy", there different levels of certification; one is for the alloy composition alone; another is for the composition and billet processing; others go on to certify the entire process from first-melt to finished stock and this full-certification includes random testing throughout the mfg process to certify the entire mfg process.

See Dan, I don't have to "grasp at straws" because it is not I who created this mess, you alone have dug the hole your standing in.  Go ahead and laugh because we're all laughing too ... especially about your "calibrated cleaning patch".  You would make a great politician.  I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything but at least when I mis-speak or make a mistake, I'll own up to it rather than try to twist the conversation off onto to some irrelevant tangent.  I've tried to play nice Dan but for some reason you project a lot of anger towards me.  Not sure what caused that, I try to have a civil fact-based discussion but you choose to turn things into a personal attack be it here or on other forums and quite frankly, I don't care if you like me or not because that's irrelevant to the topic at hand.  You make claims like the wind blows from all four points of the compass yet when someone calls you to defend your position, you go off on an irrelevant tangent to avoid confronting reality or resort to personal attacks.  You don't have to like me Dan and I'm sure you're going to like me less now because I've dared to call you on your BS.  Well so be it.  I don't hold grudges anymore, I don't have time for that $#@*.  I'll pray for you brother.    

Have a better look at the barrel, it's parkerized or some type of matt-finished steel, not stainless.

And a couple more...

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:25:21 PM by FL-Flinter »
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 09:48:05 PM »
Well, I don't know much about alloys and right now I'm kind of happy I don't have to deal with all this stuff, not having much of an interest in the latest modern cartridge guns. However, I worked in the valve industry for 30 + years, and do know a thing or two about pressure and temp. and that is why I don't own or want to own a stainless steel firearm. Also, back when I was shooting 1000 yd with .556 I had a under loaded round burst a primer and ...then found the bullet stuck in the barrel!  That after having to know the bolt open with a chunk of 2 x 4 .  I didn't trust the gun after that, so sent it back to the manufacturer for a check up. They suspected pressures had exceeded 100,000PSI.....and the bullet stuck in the bore!!!! Go figure .
Bottom line is, what concerns me the most is embrittlement. Work harding etc.  I would rather stay with a nice soft barrel material of adequate strength,  than any of the fancy alloys.  This whole topic started with a question re a gentleman making his own barrel from a ? pice of cold rolled steel. Same old story...no one will change their minds I'm sure. Me...I wouldn't use it. I'd rather wrought iron, or even Mag. bronze. or a nice piece of soft hot rolled slow carbon steel.
The thing about opinions is that everybody has one ;D    I personally believe that I can detect a miniscule variation in barrel ID just by judicious use of a patch and jag. But then, I also believe that it is probable that not everyone can.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 02:21:18 AM »
How about stepping into the 21st century?

A quick search provides*:
British
Rules of proof require rifles to be proved with a load that produces not less than 130%, and not more than 145%, of the peak mean operating pressure of the normal load.

This is largely meaningless unless you want to proof your flintlocks with smokeless, you see the large number of bore sizes and pressure levels in the smokeless world require rules of this sort. Proving a 22 RF with the same powder charge as a 22-250 or 223 WSSM is not possible. With MLs with BP one can proof all bore sizes with the same charge so long as the barrels are for the same class of weapon and long enough to hold the charge.
I use the 19th century data because I am dealing with the technology of that time or before.  They did have  crusher pressure guns at the time BTW so I suspect they knew what the pressure levels of the various loads were. But apparently felt no need to publish them OR no need to check them at all since experience told them that a given proof for a specific BP loaded barrel was sufficient.

Since some seem to think that the British Provisional proof levels are too high tell me:
What IS the pressure generated by the 210 gr and 2 balls load?  Are you SURE its over 145% of 110 grains of FFF Swiss and one ball? What is the pressure of this load? If we can believe the Lyman book the pressure with a heavy conical is little greater than with a RB in ML rifles with the same charge of powder so thinking that double powder and double ball indicates double pressure is unsupported supposition.
If the load I used in the 58 is ball park for the 19th century how can it be bad with "stronger modern steels"?

Have a better look at the barrel, it's parkerized or some type of matt-finished steel, not stainless.

Its your story (well here anyway) you may call it anything you like. But this is from a post farther down the same thread:

"That is a pretty old thread. That particular incident lead to a recall of some Sako and Tikka stainless action rifles in a limited range of serial numbers. Something about a problem with the steel used in those particular rifles. I would imagine all of those rifles have been taken out of circulation long ago."
There were blow ups in Europe as well and NA.
This was the 15th shot from a new rifle with Federal factory ammo.

It is possible to over pressure any smokeless firearm and burst it with properly applied stupidity and persistence or even a moment of forgetfulness/distraction or even changing a 250 grain bullet to a 200 grain and "boom".  Yeah.
Though S&W, according to an excellent source at S&W (now gone), found that a full case of Bullseye, or at least all that could be gotten behind a bullet, would not burst a 357 mag cylinder they only bulge. They did extensive (and extreme) testing due to people blowing 357 with light loads of Bullseye.
This came to light when a friend blew a Colt SA with Red Dot and in a phone conversation with his friend at S&S mentioned he had likely double charged it. The friend told him that 13 grains of Red Dot would not blow a 45 colt. Mike them shot 13 grains in the damaged gun (he had another 45 cylinder) and found 13 grains did no damage to the cylinder at all. 6.5 gr was too low for the bullet weight/case capacity. The S&W guy first name Roy went on to relate the lengths S&W went to in trying to recreate burst cylinders. Finally decided that a 357 mag case, 158 gr SWC and a 38 Special full WC charge of Bulleye 2.3 or 2.5 gr IIRC. It would blow a cylinder (not bulge) usually in the course of shooting a 50 round box of ammo.
It is also possible to get from 16000 to 30000 from the same box of 38 special factory ammo by indexing the powder differently before putting the cartridge in the pressure gun.
If you need to post blown up guns to prove it's possible thats OK too.
But little of this has any real cross over to proof loads of BP in ML arms.

I mentioned the 45 3 1/4" shot in testing with 4198 just to illustrate that the pressures needed to harm a 1137 barrel far exceed what BP will produce in firearms (unless you have published  data to prove otherwise). Thus the proof load was not an overload for the steel as some seemed to infer.
Somehow this came to mean that it was impossible to blow up a gun with smokeless.

I am sorry that you cannot seem to understand the idea that low grade iron is not as good as best grade iron for ML gun barrels. Apparently you see my saying poor iron is bad and good iron is good as contradictory.
I see it as common sense.
But as they say your mileage may vary.
Please find a quote where I have said that a good grade iron barrel was bad for a ML. But as I have pointed out and as was REPEATEDLY pointed out in the writings of the PAST (you need to leave the 2st century so to speak to find it though, sorry)  the quality of the welded barrel depends on not only the iron but the skill and diligence of the men who weld it. 

While I have not said that iron made a bad ML barrel I have said that its better than some modern steels and not as good as other modern steels. This is simply fact and is also obvious. Its not possible to make a 60K operating pressure modern rifle using an iron barrel. But if you use the same steel for the high pressure modern magnum as ML barrels then THIS ML barrel is superior to iron. More strength and better wear resistance. But making ML barrels of UNSUITABLE modern steels (or even old unsuitable ones) makes the good iron barrel a better choice. For a very long time the Damascus barrel was superior to iron and it was late in the 19th century before this changed much. The English best machine made Damascus, an iron and steel mix, was equal to "Whitworth steel" ( actually depending on the test criteria one would be better than the other then the results were reversed by the next test so I call them equal +-).  The superiority, real or perceived, of Damascus was why faux Damascus and low grade Damascus  were/are found on cheap import shotguns of the late 19th century.
Regardless due to how crude the steel making was for most or all of the 19th century any old barrel is SUSPECT.

If you see this as confusing I am sorry but I refuse to draw pictures.

Dan

This is my last post on this thread.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Artificer

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 12:12:57 PM »
Gents,

I'm particularly interested in this thread as I was witness to a real, G.I. M14 rifle blowing apart.  The barrel ripped apart at both ends.  Chunks of the stock were blown into the shooter's arms and fortunately having shooting glasses on saved his eyes when pieces of the rear of the receiver came back in his face.  The shooter had numerous cuts and lacerations, but fortunately none were life threatening and he recovered well.  This happened not because of bad ammo nor improper building procedures, but rather because the barrel had been made out of the wrong grade of steel.  The barrel maker had paid for good quality steel rounds to turn, drill, rifle, etc.; but a tragic mistake had been made where inferior quality steel with sulphur stringers in it was sent instead.  Of course, the barrel maker did not know that when he finished making the barrels.  Now, this particular barrel had at least 60 rounds through it and maybe as many as 120 rounds when it blew apart.  The maximum figure comes from the number of rounds we fired to break the barrel in, some accuracy testing and then into the shooter's hands.

When I mount a barrel in a modern rifle, I fire at least 20 rounds through it to look for any sign of weakness, cartridge case or other problems.  I know a problem barrel may not show the weakness for a while, but at least I will see any obvious problems before I put it in the hands of the shooter.

As such, it seems to me that one should do at least some testing with the breeched barrel prior to mounting it in the stock to possibly discern a weakness in the barrel and breech.   The suggestion to fire a load that goes thirty or forty percent above normal pressure seems reasonable to me for at least a round or two.  Perhaps I am missing something from the discussion I don't realize?

Gus 

Offline Captchee

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 05:44:50 PM »
 going  through some of my old files , i came across this . no im not sure where i got it ?
 i was part of a couple issues concerning eroupian made barrels around that time so it may be from Pedersoli or Jukar . i dont recall  and  unfortionatly i didnt lable  the file so  im just throwing this out there . i know it may not be of much help but  someone may find it useful

1. Properties of the black powder to be used for proofs.
Reference powder
A black powder with the following physico-chemical properties has been chosen as the ref-erence powder for the study of pressures and to determine the quantities of the proof charges:
a. Moisture content: max. 1,3 %
b. Density: 1,70 - 1,80 g/cm3
c. Granulometry: 0,63 mm max. retained: 5 %
0,20 mm max. passed through: 5 %
d. Chemical composition:
- percentage potassium nitrate 75 ± 1,5 %
- percentage sulphur 10 ± 1 %
- percentage charcoal 15 ± 1 %
e. Ash: max. 0,08 %
f. Hygroscopicity (12 h): max. 1,8 %
g. Bulk density: min 0,85 g/ml
The above values are given for guidance, the pressure of the reference cartridge (Paragraph 2) being of principal importance.
2. 16-bore reference cartridge
The purpose of this cartridge, filled using charge components, is to enable the pressure de-veloped by the reference powder to be measured.
The cartridge shall be filled using the following components:
- Case: 16-bore for smoothbore arms, length 67,5 to 70 mm, with 8 mm long metal head.
- Primer: "double strength" FIOCCI No 616 or equivalent.
- Black powder: 3 grammes.
In order to avoid any compression, the powder shall be put into and contained in a card-board or plastic cylinder placed at the bottom of the case, of thickness of approximately 0,6 mm and a depth that takes account of the volume of powder.
- Wad: greased felt wad, 10 to 12 mm in depth.
- Shot: 33 grammes of 2,5 mm-diameter lead pellets.
- Crimping: round with a 1,5 mm thick cardboard sealing dis.
- Length of the made-up cartridge: approximately 64 mm.
The pressure developed by this cartridge shall be measured in a standard 16 x 70-bore pressure barrel manufactured in accordance with C.I.P. provisions.
Before the proof, the cartridges must be conditioned for at least 24 hours at a temperature of 21º ± 1ºC and a relative humidity of 60% ± 5 %.
The above mentioned cartridge, filled with the reference powder, must give a pressure, measured electromechanically, of Pn = 275 ± 25 bar.
The measuring system shall include a piezoelectric transducer capable of measuring up to 2.500 bar, with a natural frequency of 100 kHz, min., showing a maximum deviation from linearity of 1% and a sensitivity of 2,0 pC/bar min.
2 4.6.
3. Proof charges
The prescribed charges are as follows:

4. Proof procedures
Smoothbore arms shall be loaded by placing a felt wad of at least 20 mm depth on top of the powder (without compression). The projectile shall consist of shot pellets of a diameter of 2,5 - 3 mm, held in place in the barrel by a felt wad of at least 10 mm depth placed over them.
In the case of firearms with a rifled barrel, loading shall follow the same procedure as that laid down for smoothbore arms, using a bullet instead of shot and without a wad.
5. Proof charges for pistols, revolvers and firearms of special design
In the case of pistols with one or more barrels, the proof firing of which in accordance with Paragraph 3 and 4 is not possible, the proof charge shall be determined, taking into account the length of the barrel(s), according to the maximum service charge laid down for that type of firearm. The quantity of proof powder must be twice the service charge.
In the case of revolvers and firearms of special design which have a powder chamber or primerless cartridge which cannot accommodate the proof charge provided for in Paragraph 3, the chambers shall be filled with the maximum amount of reference powder they can hold. The bullet shall be inserted and pushed in until flush.
6. Diameter of the touch holes
Firearms using black powder must be equipped with nipples having a touch hole with a maximum diameter in the direction of the chamber of 1 mm.