Author Topic: Barrel Proof Charge  (Read 18457 times)

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

Barrel Proof Charge
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:40:51 AM »
  I have been lurking around here since this past spring but this is my first post. From what I've seen there is alot of really good information being passed around here, not to mention all the pictures of the beautiful guns you guys are building. I am building a smooth rifle loosely based on #83 in Shumway's RCA vol 2. I'm using Reaves Goering's very nice trigger guard and buttplate castings for this rifle, but i will probably do very little carving on the stock. I have the lock and the barrel inletted into the blank of maple. I am ready to inlet for the breech plug and drill the touch hole. I would like to use a fixture like Bookie and Hoot Al use to proof my barrel in before I go much further. That way if I damage my barrel in proving I can at least fit another barrel to my stock.
  My question is about proof testing the barrel. My barrel is octagon to round .62 cal. ; 1.125 at the breech ; .975 at the wedding band 14" from the breech; .850 at the waist about 5" from the muzzle ; .900 at the muzzle and 41 1/4" long. It is machined from 1 7/16 od. cold finished Stressproof  AISI 1144 steel bar. I only note the dimensions and material used as there was a post here sometime back were it was stated that cold finished  steel is not suitable for barrels, and I already had the barrel done. So I hope it will work. I will be using the gun both with shot for wild turkey and patched round ball for deer.  What would be a recomended charge and the number of patched round balls for a proof charge? How many times should I fire it with proof loads? Thanks for the help, Mark
Mark Poley

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Barrel Proof Charge
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:35:14 AM »
Welcome to posting, brother!

If by proofing, you mean a double or triple charge?  If the threads are a good fit, and everything is machined properly, what you will gain by proofing? The proofing can stress a perfectly good barrel almost to the burst point. You are just shortening its working life by heavy charging it.

If, on the other hand, you are going to proof it with normal charges, then go for it. No harm done.

While I don't know what that 1144 alloy is, machined from solid is much better than from tubing. Even seamless tubing has a seam, it's just been drawn through dies and a mandrel pulled thru it to smooth out the seam.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 05:54:58 AM »
  Acer, Thank you for your reply. I agree with you about possibly overstressing the barrel with a double or triple charge. I really didn't like the idea but if that was the norm I thought I better do it. I figured with all the experience on this board this would be the place to ask. I think if I remember correctly the original gun made by Issac Berlin is only about 6 1/2 or 7 lbs. So probably anything more than 100 gr. behind a .600 patched round ball may be uncomfortable to shoot. I may proof with 100-115 gr and a single patched ball. That would be more than I would ever use here for a hunting load. If that sounds logical I'll go for that.
  Thanks again for the reply. I know I'll have more questions on this build as I go along.

Mark
Mark Poley

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 06:16:53 AM »
Just curious......did you make the barrel?..............Don

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 06:44:55 AM »
No need to proof barrels right?
Pa Keeler had quit  proofing barrels, he had never had a problem, waste of time. Then he built a rifle, Douglas 45 caliber barrel. It split from the breech face to about the rear sight up the top flat (fortunately) the first time it was shot IIRC (its in a late 1960s issue of MB Magazine). This was circa 1968.
He started proofing barrels again at any rate according to his write up in Muzzle Blasts. Of course he could no longer buy direct from Douglas IIRC.

So there is a valid reason for proofing. Proofing will at least find any gross flaws in the barrel, something that needs to be considered with ANY barrel. Its more important with low grade steel since very little care is taken to assure that there are no flaws in the steel since its mill run made from old buick bumpers and other scrap laying around the mill. So inclusions and flaws are in there where is hard to tell. How this may or may not effect the barrel will only be found out sometime in its service life, or not.
Stressproof is not very tolerant of notches. It also will further work harden with use, 1140M work hardening is what got Remington  in trouble with 870 barrels.

I would proof with 2 service loads of powder and 2 patched round balls no matter what.

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

cal.43

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 12:14:45 PM »

I know that most americans say you don´t need a barrelproof because americanbarrel are safe, but here in Old europe every new gun need a proofmark.
the Germanmuzzleloading proofload for .69 rifled
is
20g  blackpowder and 45g lead
thats  308.646 gr blackpowder and 694.455 gr lead
 for a smoth 16
12 g blackpowder and 60g lead
thats 185.188 gr blackpowder and 925.940 gr lead
that loads are from
Anlage I Technische Anforderungen an und Prüfvorschriften für Feuerwaffen und sonstige Gegenstände, die der Beschussprüfung nach § 5 des Gesetzes unterliegen, und technische Anforderungen an Prüfgegenstände nach den §§ 7 bis 10 des Gesetzes
( Fundstelle: BGBl. I 2006, 1488 - 1499 )

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 06:16:43 PM »
The home made proof tests are rather interesting.  The only thing they prove is the barrel didn't fail on that particular firing and may or may not have increased the probablility it will fail on the next or future firings.  Proof tests as conducted in British and other European proof houses would include careful measurements of the barrel and other components before and after to determine whether the gun and barrel are suitable for proofing, and whether the actual proof firing caused even the slightest dimensional change in the metal.  Any dimensional change at all would indicated the pressures generated were able to stress the steel beyond it's elastic limits which would therefore mean it was likely to fail at a future firing.  The proof loads are generally designed to produce a pressure approx 30 to 50 percent higher than normal service loadings.  Few if any of us have the measurement instruments necessary to detect the very small dimensional changes which indicate the exceeding of the elastic limit with charges small enough to not cause significant damage. 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
The most probable cause of failure would likely be a seam in the material.  A seam is basically an unjoined discontinuity in the material running longitudinally with the bar.  I would think that magnetic particle inspection would be a satisfactory test in the absence of proper proof testing.  In fact, mag particle testing would be a good thing for any barrel.  I'm somewhat suprised this isn't more commonly performed by barrel manufactures.

keweenaw

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 06:56:19 PM »
I've only heard of a few barrels being made from stress proof.  If one looks at the tensile strength, wear resistance, etc. it looks like a good idea BUT, BUT,  BUT Boots Obermeyer, the noted centerfire rifle barrel maker, made some from stress proof many years ago and the one he sold and didn't recall in time failed with spectacular results.  Obviously the working pressures are much different with round ball black powder loads but ....

Tom

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »
 Thanks to all for your replies, you have given me alot to think about.
Don, Yes I did make the barrel. I drilled the bar thru 19/32" and reamed it with a square reamer to .620 ID. I machined the OD. profile between centers.
Thanks again, Mark Poley
Mark Poley

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 03:56:32 AM »
The home made proof tests are rather interesting.  The only thing they prove is the barrel didn't fail on that particular firing and may or may not have increased the probablility it will fail on the next or future firings.  Proof tests as conducted in British and other European proof houses would include careful measurements of the barrel and other components before and after to determine whether the gun and barrel are suitable for proofing, and whether the actual proof firing caused even the slightest dimensional change in the metal.  Any dimensional change at all would indicated the pressures generated were able to stress the steel beyond it's elastic limits which would therefore mean it was likely to fail at a future firing.  The proof loads are generally designed to produce a pressure approx 30 to 50 percent higher than normal service loadings.  Few if any of us have the measurement instruments necessary to detect the very small dimensional changes which indicate the exceeding of the elastic limit with charges small enough to not cause significant damage. 

If a barrel, back in the day, bulged in proof they would take it back and HAMMER THE BULGE down and REPROOF. If it bulged again they could again hammer it down and reproof till it passed or failed catastrophically or bulged past fixing. This was England see "The Gun and Its Developement" W.W. Greener.

Its impossible to proof a barrel made from a piece of cold rolled and "prove" its safe, its never "safe" when used as a gun barrel thought it may never fail given the pressures developed.

Its near impossible to generate pressures with BP that will even remotely reach the operating pressure of modern sporting cartridges some of which have a normal pressure of 65000, 4140-4150 will safely contain these pressure levels. BP simply will not make this pressure or anything like it when used with a projectile. They were able to get 100000 for BP ONLY in "closed bomb tests" i.e. a sealed chamber.
Even hot rolled 1137 will stand large overloads of IMR smokeless so long as its not obstructed without any damage that would INJURE THE SHOOTER.
So if PROPER barrel steel is used its not going to be damaged by BP pressures, proof or otherwise. The overload is simply meant to find any gross flaws or errors in assembling/installing vents or breeches or nipples or flaws in other parts exposed to pressure.
I have a mic that is calibrated in .0001". But one can tell if the barrel has changed with no more than a tight patch.
So one has to ask ones self if they are willing to accept the possible consequences of having some part "come adrift" while the firearm is in service and cause injury or death.

Dan

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 06:48:15 AM »
Dan,  I understand that "Back in the Day" they were a little loose with the rules.  But we aren't back in the day even if the guns we are building are from then.  I wish there were a solution to this proofing issue.  In any of the countrys with proof rules we could have the barrels tested to best standards for their intended use.  In USA we are on our own.  So how am I wrong if I suggest testing for good breech assembly etc with a load only likely to produce about 30 to 50 percent above service  load pressures? 

Back in the day they were most likely dealing with damascus barrels which could be reheated and hammer welded back together.  And those barrels tended not to fail in catastrophic fashion.  More of a seam opening and dropping pressures so the balance of the barrel didn't go flying off in splinters.  More like stretching a licorice stick versus whacking a hard candy. 

Offline LynnC

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
Anyone can accidentaly double charge or double ball or possibly both.  Any barrel must withstand this.  I know I've double charged at least once.  I have proved reworked antique barrels with two full charges and two patched balls.

Better to blow straped to a board than in your hands and face.  No failures to date.
Just my two cents......
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 03:51:11 PM »
Dan,  I understand that "Back in the Day" they were a little loose with the rules.  But we aren't back in the day even if the guns we are building are from then.  I wish there were a solution to this proofing issue.  In any of the countrys with proof rules we could have the barrels tested to best standards for their intended use.  In USA we are on our own.  So how am I wrong if I suggest testing for good breech assembly etc with a load only likely to produce about 30 to 50 percent above service  load pressures? 

Back in the day they were most likely dealing with damascus barrels which could be reheated and hammer welded back together.  And those barrels tended not to fail in catastrophic fashion.  More of a seam opening and dropping pressures so the balance of the barrel didn't go flying off in splinters.  More like stretching a licorice stick versus whacking a hard candy. 

I suggest you do some research then discuss proof charges.
Greener lists a charge for the 24 bore for rifled arms of all descriptions other than the 8th class and definitive proof of the 7th of 205 grains and a bullet of 716 grains in 1896,yes its for bulleted guns (85 grains of powder and but my .58 proof load from the video is no greater.  Also note they used fine grained powder IIRC, not going to read the chapter right now.
The BL Express rifle in .577 was proved with 330 grains or powder and a 800 grain bullet for a service load of 165 grains a 600 grain bullet. These were often relatively thin wall double rifle barrels btw.
I know of a GM that was shot with two complete superimposed loads from the shoulder. I could find no indication of any bulge and the barrel lost no accuracy. This came from loading with an unmarked range rod during a match.

My proof loads are ball park for the data in Greeners "The Gun and its Developement".

Dan

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 05:07:43 PM »
A material's proportional point is considerably lower than its yield point and once the proportional limit is exceeded, that's when damage begins.  What is gained by exceeding the proportional limit of assembly then putting it into service?  There is a reason why there is a distinct difference between "destructive testing" and "non-destructive service testing".  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:08:43 PM by FL-Flinter »
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 05:09:57 PM »
A material's proportional point is considerably lower than its yield point and once the proportional limit is exceeded, that's when damage begins.  What is gained by exceeding the proportional limit of assembly then putting it into service?  There is a reason why there is a distinct difference between "destructive testing" and "non-destructive service testing".  

Thanks, Mark. That is what I was trying to say, but you said it in more scientific terms.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 05:20:27 PM »
 From what I have read  Dan is correct . Many times a barrel that failed proof would be fixed and submitted for re proof . They also were not all Damascus

Also Douglas as I recall ,  had an issue for a while with there barrels  . It wasn’t so much the barrels themselves but how the barrel was made and breeched .
 They were finding that During breeching  on some barrels , ‘NOT ALL “ small hairline stress cracks  that could not be seen  by eye  were the cause of the failures .. I could have this back awards .  But I want to say that they finally decided that this was due to the barrels being extruded not draw ?

There also is a lot more to proper proofing then just firing a double load  or for that mater measuring the outside of the barrel .
 Its been a while since I read the Greener writings . I would have to dig the book Dan  talks about out . But I want to say that along with the charge , he also used a specific weight projectile  which in turn effected the breech pressures

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 07:06:46 AM »
I have had two barrels fail in the last 37 years.  Both catastrophically.  Also 4 vent liners and 3 drums.  I normally use two balls and double the powder charge.  I search for blow-by from the threads of the breech plug, the drum or vent liner, and bulges.  Most particularly so when a student has built a gun in the shop.  It ain't so much the steels used that needs checked, it's the CRAFTSMANSHIP of the assembler.  Some folks have two left hands and just enough experience with tools to be dangerous. Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 07:20:50 AM »

At one time a breech loader maker I worked for made barrels from 1137. These were tested to 50000 with no problems by HP White. At 50000 they asked if they maker wanted to go higher and he considered it pointless since the SAAMI limit for the available factory loads was 28000.
A 45-3 1/4" straight case with a 500 grain jacketed and a FULL CASE of IMR 4198 would not even stick the cases. Open the breech and the case came right out. Was the steel being stretched or strained?

So tell me what IS the internal pressure proportional point for a 1" across the flats 45 caliber 1137 barrel?
How much BP would you have to put in a ML or a cartridge to make 50000?
The most Lyman ever got with BP using heavy bullets (3 calibers long or so) in large capacity cartridge guns was about 30000.

According to "Cartridges of the World" the 45 ACP high pressure test cartridge generates 22000. The service ammo is limited to 19000. Does anyone know WHY the proof is so low?
Its because the brass case in the 1911 pistol is the limiting factor. The cases will blow at the ramp into the mag well maybe bulge the slide and frame in the process if loaded much past this.
A well known maker of 1911 pistols, from what I have read, uses/or used MILD STEEL for 45 ACP barrels and the locking and link lugs were on a MONO-BLOCK that was SILVER BRAZED to the barrel. These mild steel barrels that are pretty darned thin stand 16000-19000 with no problem at all it seems.
So what it the "proportional limit" of 1010 or 1020 in thin wall barrels? The tensile and yield for HR 1020 is about 55000-29000 with 1010 being 47000-26000
The funny part is that the 45 ACP pistol barrels that have demonstrated problems are the "stronger" (70000+ tensile and about 40000 yield) stainless barrels THEY seem to be much more likely to fail. Why? I strongly suspect it because they are made from 416 free machining stainless which has sulfur added (about 3 times a much as 4140) which causes inclusions in the material.  Sulfur causes similar problems in alloy steel if too much is added. But it makes machining easier. So the barrels sometimes fail at a pressure level that will not blow the brass cartridge case web.
I would wonder if the proportional limit of 416 is lower or higher than 1010 or 1020.
I would then ask if its has any importance when considering pressure containment and shock loading of the materiel as opposed to testing by stretching a bar to its failure point.

Dan

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 07:57:02 AM »
Dan,  which edition of Greener are you reading from.  The Ninth edition doesn't list loads for Third Class firearms (muzzleloading rifles) nor for Sixth Class (breechloading express rifles).  However the data you cited is confirmed in Wernsberger under the German Proof standards which are closely related to the British requirements for purposes of mutual acceptance.  Those standards wouldn't seem applicable to muzzleloaders which are not the same robust, huge cartridge capacity arms developed a century later.  But if you want to build to that proof measure it certainly should be safe.  Wirnsberger also gives the German proof objective as 30% over service pressure loads as adequate even in the smokeless powder firearms.  Englehardt published Table III Proof loads for rifled arms shows the proof load for a .58 caliber as 725gr bullet and 170gr of black powder (Tower Proof Powder or equivalent which is approximately similar to Curtis and Harvey Sporting Powder which some equate to Swiss FFg).  The service load for this caliber was 85gr powder with 544gr bullet.  This standard came in force in 1868 and stayed in force until 1904 when most proofs were being changed to accommodate semi smokeless powders (Nitro Proofs).  No way of knowing specifically at this date because the powders used are no longer available unless you can get  some Tower Proof powder,  but I doubt this load generated more than a 30 -50 % pressure over the service load. It would seem more than adequate for muzzleloading in the guns we are discussing here.  

Anyone accidentally shooting double charges with double balls needs to go back to marking his ramrod and checking it before he hurts himself or a buystander.

I really didn't appreciate your dismissal as unread.  

Jerry Lape

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:01:32 AM by Jerry V Lape »

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
Once again Dan, you're jumping all over the place without any direction and have yet to make a valid fact-based point on anything.  I'm not trying to be rude man but you come out guns-a-blazin' yet you want to have things both ways.

A while back you made a big fuss over how conical bullets in a ML produce too-much pressure then today you turn around and say that a .45x3.25 can't be blown-up with smokeless.  Two days ago you said, "Its near impossible to generate pressures with BP that will even remotely reach the operating pressure of modern sporting cartridges some of which have a normal pressure of 65000, 4140-4150 will safely contain these pressure levels. BP simply will not make this pressure or anything like it when used with a projectile. They were able to get 100000 for BP ONLY in "closed bomb tests" i.e. a sealed chamber."  Then you go on to claim that "mild steel" is being used for smokeless barrels and back in the day they couldn't blow-up wrought iron/forge welded barrels with massive charges yet today we have to use some special alloy yet you can make the distinction between how a finished stock shape is made and what affects the properties of the said stock.

Let's start with your constant reference to "cold rolled".  First off, the "cold rolled" is a reference to how the stock is formed, yes the process affects the properties of the stock AS-FORMED, the materials working properties can, and are normally, changed by various heat-treating methods that occur POST-FORMING.  Cold rolling is mere a method used to maintain tighter tolerances on the finished stock - thus is why common shapes are often listed with options such as: As-rolled; Low-temperature normalized; High-temperature normalized; Fully annealed; Half-hard; Full-hard...  It is the post-forming heat-treatment that gives the finished product it's working properties such as is the case with a particular alloy that will vary from 7% to 15% elongation at break solely dependent on the heat-treatment process and it doesn't matter if the alloy is cold-rolled, hot-rolled, hammer-forged or cast to shape.  If you're so hyped on "cold rolled" why do you shoot modern cartridge guns that are button-rifled which is no different than cold-rolling since the button is pulled through the tube with enough brute force to cold form the rifling?

If, as you incorrectly claim, black powder cannot generate excessive pressures under a projectile, why then do you even worry about so-called proofing to begin with?  Also, if this is the case, why do you constantly harp on danger of improperly sized/loaded conical bullets sliding off the powder?  Furthermore, whenever anyone brings up shooting conicals from a ML, you immediately fly off the handle yapping about "excessive pressures" and "nipple wash-out" but in this post you claim an over-charge of smokeless under a heavy conical in a sealed cartridge rifle is a perfectly safe endeavor.  Perhaps you need to have a chat with an acquaintance of mine from McAdoo, PA so he can explain to you how the breech section of an 1137 alloy barrel fragmented with a mere 80gr charge under a .50 PRB that got hung about on the crud ring about 3/8" above the powder column - GM drop-in IBS.  Granted, self-admitted operator error but that doesn't change the fact that the 1137 fragmented. 

While you're so hyped on harping about alloys, let's address your claim about 4140-4150 safely containing 65,000 psi - what happens if that same 4140 or 4150 was heat treated differently?  Ever consider that it can be treated in such a manner that it will come apart in a big way with a mere 32,000 psi.  Here's an example of improperly heat-treated 4140

Here's a heat-treating issue with 416 stainless

Two failures, both caused by improper heat-treating ... what point does it prove considering the millions upon millions of guns built from 4140 & 416 that are out there functioning just fine day after day - if 416 was such a safety issue as you seem to claim, don't you think gun mfg's would have stopped using it years ago?  Truth is, no matter what the alloy, they're all prone to failure if the alloy is bad, if they're built wrong or if they're abused.  Remember all the hype over the low-S/N 1903 rifles?  It wasn't a problem with the alloy, it was a problem with heat-treatment and therefore your attempt to make an argument out of alloys is moot.  How about that precious 1137 for instance?  Depending on how it's heat-treated POST-FORMING, the yield strength can vary from 46,300 psi to 87,700 psi likewise, the particular heat-treatment varies the elongation at break from 10% to 23.5%  Asking the question "So what it (sic) the "proportional limit" of 1010 or 1020 in thin wall barrels?" is pointless because the proportional limit for the given alloy not only varies according to the stock thickness but also according to how the particular alloy is machined and heat treated.  I freely admit that I am but a mere novice on this and I know one of the metallurgists who frequent this forum could explain how post-forming heat-treatment affects alloy properties a lot better and in for more detail than I can.  What I can tell you is that I have more than a couple decades of doing things that everyone else claims are "impossible" and there's no "magic" involved, just a learning about and understanding what you're working on.

What I can also tell you is that the heat-treatment is all-critical to the operational performance of the alloy.  Weld on a modern alloy truck frame with the wrong filler alloy or don't properly heat-treat the entire area post-welding and it's going to break.  How about seamless tubing?  Ever wonder why some people have gotten away with using it for years and others end up in the ER?  Here's a couple pieces of the same exact cold-rolled seamless tubing put to a hydroshock test:

Note the distinct difference in how they failed and understand the only difference between them is how the tube was heat-treated post-forming.  It's the same like the people who got on the "T1" kick for building truck/trailer mounted dump bodies, no attention was given to the particular post-forming heat-treatment of the alloy and the majority of those bodies looked like post-fall Humpty Dumpty within a year ... the same with those who insisted on using 5356 wire to repair aluminum in high-shock/high-flex applications then wonder why it kept failing ... and the same as the ignorant who insist that using E-12018 electrodes to join mild alloy steel will make the joint stronger then wonder why the weldments continued to fail over and over again. 

You can spout about this or that "alloy" all you want Dan but until you understand that the alloy number does not necessarily represent the actual working properties of particular piece of stock made from that alloy, you'd be best served not making such generalized statements.  I would think as a "breech loader maker" you would have some concept of how heat-treatment can greatly vary the properties of an alloy ... but, then again, I've seen graduates from the CO gunsmith school who don't know which way to move the front sight to change the POI.  Tell me Dan, are you willing to work with a suspended load on 200 ton hydraulic truck crane that some schmuck allegedly "tested" by trying to lift 400 tons with it?  Are you willing to work with a 175 ton load on that same crane if the spreaders were made from an alloy that wasn't properly heat-treated?
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline bjmac

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 10:23:42 PM »
OK; I'm really new at this (ML rifles) and I may be REALLY dense, but what is the final answer to the original question? ???

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 11:16:03 PM »
My 6th edtion of Greener states;

"SCALE FOR THE PROOF OF RIFLED SMALL ARMS OF EVERY DESCRIPTION, EXCEPT THOSE OF THE EIGHTH CLASS, AND EXCEPT FOR THE DEFINITIVE PROOF OF ARMS OF THE SEVENTH CLASS."

"Number of gauge 24
Diameter of Bore .579
Bullet for proof. Diameter .559, length 1.015, ratio of length to diameter 1.816, weight 716 grains.
Provisional proof 205 grains, definitive proof 170 grains, service charge 85 grains with a 537 grain bullet."
So if one wants to use the definitive proof I suppose this is OK but I choose to use something similar to the heavier PROVISIONAL proof.

The provisional proof is the one used, if I understand correctly, to assure that the blank was worth continuing work on. If it passed provisional proof the barrel was then finalized, rifled is needed etc and then sent for definitive proof.

So.
Pg 282
"Second Class.--Comprising Double-barreled Military Arms of Smooth Bore, and Single Muzzle-loading Rifled Arms of every description, except arms of the Seventh and Eighth Classes."

Seventh Class is Express Rifles and Eighth are Paradox guns. The Express Rifles were more heavily proofed and the Paradox guns were proofed with a bullet rather than shot as normal shotguns were.

So I ASSUME that the proof of 210 grains of powder and two 279 grain RBs to be close enough for practical purposes to the 24 bore provisional proof load listed above that FROM ALL INFORMATION I CAN FIND IS THE PROOF LOAD FOR THE SINGLE BARRELED ML RIFLE.
The third class arms.
"The Third Class-- ...Single-barreled Birding; "Danish," "Dutch", "Carolina" and "Spanish" arms, not being Breech-loaders." Cheap trade guns it would seem.

If so these are the ones with barrels W. Greener (W.W's father) in "The Gun" was complaining of the quality being very poor on in the 1830s.
This is reflected in the MUCH LOWER PROOF STANDARD FOR THESE ARMS.  If I read the table right these were proved with 186 grains of powder and a 262 grains for a definitive proof and there was no provisional proof load shown. The barrels were so cheap I suppose that it was not worth the trouble. But of course nobody important would be shooting them since they were generally intended for export Africa and other remote regions for the natives to use.

W. was also complaining of the proof rules allowing too many barrels through that were failing is service. PROBABLY because of the ALLOY being used and/or the QUALITY of material which we now know  can cause failures in barrels during service.

From "The Gun and Its Developement" W.W. Greener, 6th Edition, 1896:
"The Gunpowder used shall be of strength equal to Waltham Abbey R.F.G 2, but of mixed grain to pass to pass through sieves of No. 27 wire-gauge, varying between 17 and 36 meshes to the lineal inch,..."
So maybe FFF Swiss is a little fine grained but 36 to the inch is pretty small when the wire size is considered as it must be. I suspect that FFF Swiss is faster. But not having the screens specified by the law I cannot test it to be sure. But I would prefer to be in error for too much than too little. SINCE I CANNOT SEE DAMAGING A 1 1/8" GUN BARREL QUALITY STEEL BARREL with ANY charge of BP I fail to see the significance.
Nitro proof  (per the 1896 edition) was to be done with C&H "T.S. 2 Powder (or a similar powder in all respects)".

Further more the sender could specify any addtional proof he wanted it would seem.
They could be proved with "Schultze" or "EC"  etc as well.

Greener states that the proof rules were set in 1868 then changed in April 1888, then again in 1896. The Rules all applied to both London and Birmingham.

My question in all this is why would anyone be frightened of proving a barrel with a charge of powder and lead very similar to what would be used as a provisional proof in the last 1/2 of the 19th century?

Dan

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 02:53:22 AM »
Dutchman, Table III  - scale of Proof loads for rifled arms"choke bored barrel,all or in part rifled and "Express rifles", established by the Gun Barrel Proof Act of 1868. It became Scale 1 in 1887 and remained in force until 1904. This table provides a .620 caliber rifle would be proofed with a cylindrical  bullet .600 in diameter, .974 long weighing 791 grains.  The Provisional proof powder load was 212 gr (barrel in a raw state, usually bored but not rifled or filed to final profile).  The definitive proof was 170gr of powder and same bullet after the barrel was completed.   Note this table was formulated after patched roundballs were pretty much out of general use. (Post Civil War) and were more intended for the heavier barrels we associate with things like the Sharps rifles. 

This bullet would be hard to approximate with patched round balls which would probably offer less resistance than the bullet.  It isn't clear how the bullet was loaded or lubricated.  Only place I can find such a reference is in the Austrian proofs which provide for an over powder carboard wad and an over bullet cardboard wad.

Second issue is the powder isn't generally available here so you would have to choose  with  Swiss FFg being a pretty good guess, probably.  The problem with all of this is we don't have a complete knowledge of what takes place in the proof houses so you are on your own.   No one is going to tell you to do this as they don't really know what is good and don't want to be sued if it goes astray.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 07:45:47 AM »
Once again Dan, you're jumping all over the place without any direction and have yet to make a valid fact-based point on anything.  I'm not trying to be rude man but you come out guns-a-blazin' yet you want to have things both ways.

A while back you made a big fuss over how conical bullets in a ML produce too-much pressure then today you turn around and say that a .45x3.25 can't be blown-up with smokeless.  Two days ago you said, "Its near impossible to generate pressures with BP that will even remotely reach the operating pressure of modern sporting cartridges some of which have a normal pressure of 65000, 4140-4150 will safely contain these pressure levels. BP simply will not make this pressure or anything like it when used with a projectile. They were able to get 100000 for BP ONLY in "closed bomb tests" i.e. a sealed chamber."  Then you go on to claim that "mild steel" is being used for smokeless barrels and back in the day they couldn't blow-up wrought iron/forge welded barrels with massive charges yet today we have to use some special alloy yet you can make the distinction between how a finished stock shape is made and what affects the properties of the said stock.

Let's start with your constant reference to "cold rolled".  First off, the "cold rolled" is a reference to how the stock is formed, yes the process affects the properties of the stock AS-FORMED, the materials working properties can, and are normally, changed by various heat-treating methods that occur POST-FORMING.  Cold rolling is mere a method used to maintain tighter tolerances on the finished stock - thus is why common shapes are often listed with options such as: As-rolled; Low-temperature normalized; High-temperature normalized; Fully annealed; Half-hard; Full-hard...  It is the post-forming heat-treatment that gives the finished product it's working properties such as is the case with a particular alloy that will vary from 7% to 15% elongation at break solely dependent on the heat-treatment process and it doesn't matter if the alloy is cold-rolled, hot-rolled, hammer-forged or cast to shape.  If you're so hyped on "cold rolled" why do you shoot modern cartridge guns that are button-rifled which is no different than cold-rolling since the button is pulled through the tube with enough brute force to cold form the rifling?

If, as you incorrectly claim, black powder cannot generate excessive pressures under a projectile, why then do you even worry about so-called proofing to begin with?  Also, if this is the case, why do you constantly harp on danger of improperly sized/loaded conical bullets sliding off the powder?  Furthermore, whenever anyone brings up shooting conicals from a ML, you immediately fly off the handle yapping about "excessive pressures" and "nipple wash-out" but in this post you claim an over-charge of smokeless under a heavy conical in a sealed cartridge rifle is a perfectly safe endeavor.  Perhaps you need to have a chat with an acquaintance of mine from McAdoo, PA so he can explain to you how the breech section of an 1137 alloy barrel fragmented with a mere 80gr charge under a .50 PRB that got hung about on the crud ring about 3/8" above the powder column - GM drop-in IBS.  Granted, self-admitted operator error but that doesn't change the fact that the 1137 fragmented. 

While you're so hyped on harping about alloys, let's address your claim about 4140-4150 safely containing 65,000 psi - what happens if that same 4140 or 4150 was heat treated differently?  Ever consider that it can be treated in such a manner that it will come apart in a big way with a mere 32,000 psi.  Here's an example of improperly heat-treated 4140

Here's a heat-treating issue with 416 stainless

Two failures, both caused by improper heat-treating ... what point does it prove considering the millions upon millions of guns built from 4140 & 416 that are out there functioning just fine day after day - if 416 was such a safety issue as you seem to claim, don't you think gun mfg's would have stopped using it years ago?  Truth is, no matter what the alloy, they're all prone to failure if the alloy is bad, if they're built wrong or if they're abused.  Remember all the hype over the low-S/N 1903 rifles?  It wasn't a problem with the alloy, it was a problem with heat-treatment and therefore your attempt to make an argument out of alloys is moot.  How about that precious 1137 for instance?  Depending on how it's heat-treated POST-FORMING, the yield strength can vary from 46,300 psi to 87,700 psi likewise, the particular heat-treatment varies the elongation at break from 10% to 23.5%  Asking the question "So what it (sic) the "proportional limit" of 1010 or 1020 in thin wall barrels?" is pointless because the proportional limit for the given alloy not only varies according to the stock thickness but also according to how the particular alloy is machined and heat treated.  I freely admit that I am but a mere novice on this and I know one of the metallurgists who frequent this forum could explain how post-forming heat-treatment affects alloy properties a lot better and in for more detail than I can.  What I can tell you is that I have more than a couple decades of doing things that everyone else claims are "impossible" and there's no "magic" involved, just a learning about and understanding what you're working on.

What I can also tell you is that the heat-treatment is all-critical to the operational performance of the alloy.  Weld on a modern alloy truck frame with the wrong filler alloy or don't properly heat-treat the entire area post-welding and it's going to break.  How about seamless tubing?  Ever wonder why some people have gotten away with using it for years and others end up in the ER?  Here's a couple pieces of the same exact cold-rolled seamless tubing put to a hydroshock test:

Note the distinct difference in how they failed and understand the only difference between them is how the tube was heat-treated post-forming.  It's the same like the people who got on the "T1" kick for building truck/trailer mounted dump bodies, no attention was given to the particular post-forming heat-treatment of the alloy and the majority of those bodies looked like post-fall Humpty Dumpty within a year ... the same with those who insisted on using 5356 wire to repair aluminum in high-shock/high-flex applications then wonder why it kept failing ... and the same as the ignorant who insist that using E-12018 electrodes to join mild alloy steel will make the joint stronger then wonder why the weldments continued to fail over and over again. 

You can spout about this or that "alloy" all you want Dan but until you understand that the alloy number does not necessarily represent the actual working properties of particular piece of stock made from that alloy, you'd be best served not making such generalized statements.  I would think as a "breech loader maker" you would have some concept of how heat-treatment can greatly vary the properties of an alloy ... but, then again, I've seen graduates from the CO gunsmith school who don't know which way to move the front sight to change the POI.  Tell me Dan, are you willing to work with a suspended load on 200 ton hydraulic truck crane that some schmuck allegedly "tested" by trying to lift 400 tons with it?  Are you willing to work with a 175 ton load on that same crane if the spreaders were made from an alloy that wasn't properly heat-treated?

I feel compelled to respond, though I am sure I will regret it ::)

If BP will generate such high pressures behind a projectile why are velocities so limited with BP?
If it will generate 50000 psi or even 40000 (357 magnum pressure level) why is it necessary to use smokeless to make over than 2000 fps with anything but the lightest projectiles? How heavy a projectile does it take to get a 45 caliber bore to 40000 with BP and how much powder does it take?
You claim it will make high pressures with projectiles. Where is the data? Have you pressure gun data showing BP making 40000 of 60000 psi in a barrel with a projectile in front of it?

Wrought iron, GOOD wrought iron, properly welded. Is an adequate material for BP barrels  for muzzle loaders this has been well proven, its better than some modern steels regardless of its lower paper numbers. But it IS weaker than a suitable steel so a modern steel approved for and made in a quality level for gun barrel use by the steel maker is better.  

The problem with wrought iron, back in the day was the quality thing, kinda like some steels today. The circa 1860 Springfield Rifle Musket barrels were made of best grade iron and carefully welded and formed. Then heavily proved. A barrel made an PA gunshop in 1770 from the typical iron of that time is far more suspect. Look at the quality of iron found in trade gun barrels in the 19th century. Far too many inclusions. So one cannot paint all iron barrels with the same brush anymore than one can do the same thing with all steel barrels. That steel barrels were considered better than iron by the 1860s is pretty obvious but the Springfield barels were adequate for the minie ball and people trying to blow them up in the 20th century, SFAIK, failed. Thus the "you can't blow up a ML barrel" myth was born.

Conicals in MLs provide a number of problems that are not present in cartridge guns. I will attempt to explain.
For example the cartridge guns don't have leaded screw stock barrels, they don't have nipples to gas cut and blow gas and cap fragments in peoples faces and the bullets are not likely to slide away from the powder and produce a bore obstruction and burst or bulge the barrel.

ITS APPLES AND ORANGES due to these factors alone.  Then we have the abysmal exterior breech designs of most Wal Mart specials (an others), drum and nipple guns....
Its not ALWAYS the barrel that is the limiting factor. There were and are ML arms that people shot/shoot upwards of 120 grains of powder and 3 caliber or longer bullets for 1000 yard competition. BUT. They don't carry them around hunting so the bullet can move, they (hopefully) don't have  free machining leaded steel barrels, the Italian Gibbs repros, the premier none custom repro for long range right now use real barrel steel from all reports and the originals use hot rolled or high end Damascus (its as strong as any other 19th century barrel material and stronger than most) and they tend to use good locks and platinum lined nipples. To compare these rifles with the typical coil spring lock Wal Mart special ML is silly.

Free machining cold rolled steel cannot be magically made into gun barrel quality steel by a heat treatment. It can be IMPROVED by a complete anneal and quench and the annealed again this will make it less brittle. But the QUALITY LEVEL can't be changed. So the excess sulfur and/or other metallic compounds used in free machining steels to make them easy to machine and cause INCLUSIONS IN THE STEEL THAT WEAKEN IT FOR FIREARMS USE (they are problematical to weld for the same reason) cannot be removed by any process available after the steel is made. The inclusions may well make the steel respond to pressure containment in a brittle manner but this is metallurgist territory.
So if you have a bar of 11L37 cold finished mill run steel or a heavily sulfurized steel that has these things added to make it machine better an anneal/quench/anneal will not remove the the inclusions. It will make it less brittle, but its still not gun barrel quality and might not be suitable as pressure containment.

The burst guns, wonderful photos BUT THE RIFLE IS NOT 4140 (ROTF) ....  ITS STAINLESS ...  Look a little closer.
416 stainless is a free machining, brittle, stainless. Look it up. A number of stainless bolt action rifles have had UNEXPLAINABLE catastrophic failures with FACTORY AMMO. Sako recalled a BUNCH of guns a few years back because they got a "bad lot of stainless steel" (you posted a photo of one of the blown guns). But apparently they passed proof if Sako is subject to proof laws. Both the burst firearms are classic brittle fracture. A couple of years ago I would have labeled the handgun as a classic undercharge burst but given the things that have come to light about 416 its likely the material.
Do you THINK the makers are going to admit they have guns out there made of material likely to burst when the failure rate is low? Its cheaper to deal with the burst guns. Heck Remington never had to recall the 1140M barrels that they lost the court case on. So recall? Ha!
Note the statement concerning low temperatures and reprofiling stainless barrels here.
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Calibers__Prices-c1246-wp3390.htm
Its at the bottom of the last table on the page.

Real confidence builder for the Stainless owner living in AK or any place else much north of Memphis.

Here is an excerpt from a post by a mechanical engineer at http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=187083&highlight=barrel+steel+alloy
As you already know from our earlier conversations, I'm not a fan of any alloy not approved by the ASME for pressure vessel use, i.e. barrels. I'm well aware of the 416R alloys. Last I checked with the ASME, NO 416 alloy was approved for pressure vessels. So unless 416 has been recently approved by the ASME, I don't use it. Regarding 416R; reducing the sulfur content in 416 alloys is only part of the problem. Both sulfur and selenium in the 416 alloys form stress concentration sites in the material which reduce the fatigue life and fracture toughness. Result? Early cracking and catastrophic failures in 416. The ASME testing program, to approve pressure vessel materials, are very, very thorough and brutal. Hundreds and hundred of professors and scientists run exhaustive tests on these materials before acceptance is finally awarded by the ASME. The ASME got into doing this after the U.S. Congress asked them to help in eliminating pressure vessel explosions. I am, as a Mechanical Engineer, very familar with this ASME testing. Finally, in my view, if your interested in using stainless steel 45 barrels, use the Wilson 17-4PH barrels. They're excellent in quality,high strength and toughness.

I never said the BPCR overload was safe, you read that in. I said it would not have damaged the shooter, probably an error, the recoil would have been fierce.
But the rifle was not damaged with all the 4198 that could be put in the case UNTIL THE BORE WAS PARTLY OBSTRUCTED. But alas the barrel only split in a non brittle manner it did not fragment. The difference here is I had conversations with the guys that did this and looked at the resulting damage. So I am not out in fantasy land. While its not a scientific lab test its still useful information that does not require referring to cranes and rock boxes.
The fragmented ones were the ones burst by owners shooting light loads of IMR smokeless. Boy did one guy bow one up with a "BP duplication" load of 3031. After I talked on the phone  for 1/2 hour plus telling him he was going to blow the gun he did as he wanted anyway and fragmented even the receiver but shooting from the bench with his non-shooting hand behind his right elbow he was uninjured. So yes its possible to blow up a 1137 barrel and 4140 receiver with an IMR powder if one works hard enough. But I knew that BEFORE HAND. It was written up in the 1930s when the IMR powders first came out. You can find this in Phil Sharpe's Guide to Handloading.

The fragmented 1137 ML barrel? Had the barrel been proved?  I bet not. Remember my comments about gross flaws? This is why guns should be proved, Then... Look at the burst stainless barrels you pictured? If Sako  or Colt can get "bad" steel so can GM. To me the ML failure is an argument for proving ML barrels. The Sako and Colt are an argument for using a PROPER MATERIAL for firearms. Though 1137 is not my first choice even for barrels just because its not the best choice, its long way from the worst choice.

Mild steel 45ACP barrels. Here is a list of parts for sale in an old post on the 1911 forum
Does not mention alloy but the two part barrel is mentioned. I did the red highlight so you could find it easily.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=36957&highlight=Springfield+Armory+barrel+steel

Parts from Springfield Armory Milspec, parkerized.
All parts are from new unfired pistol, taken off from gunsmith buildup of base gun.

-2 piece SA barrel with link, pin, bushing
-milspec grip safety
-SA ILS mainspring housing, arched serrated, complete, with 2 ILS keys and tool
-trigger, steel, short
-slide stop
-mag catch (without spring or lock)
-recoil spring
-hammer

Heat treat.
Any fool can screw up the heat treat and break a piece of steel. This does not make the alloy unsuitable or dangerous for a given application, this is straw grasping. The idea of someone making a barrel from a piece of quenched but untempered steel is a stretch. So its not likely that a barrel this hard it going to make it one a firearm. If you have ever machined 4140 you know that its a lot easier when its properly annealed and even better when cryoed.
So unless you can find a blown up 4140/4150 barrel (actual 4140 this time not stainless) that was so hard it shattered because someone heated it to critical temperature and quenched it after it was a made into a rifle barrel give up on the "possible" scenarios.
Anything is possible but its easy to let yourself slip farther from reality in doing this so you might want to stay closer to fact than fantasy to bolster your position.  The crane/welding truck frame thing gets pretty far from firearms applications.  Fortunately we don't weld on gun barrels, at least  I hope not.
The guys that go to gunsmithing school know things I do not but I know things they don't teach there, at least not from what I learned working with one or two such for a year or so. Moving the sight the wrong way? Everyone will do it at sometime if they do it enough. I am fairly well versed in this and did it on Dad's Remington a few years ago. Besides for moderns iron sights are pretty old school now.
Barrel steels have been an interest of mine since the big fight erupted years ago in the Buckskin Report though I am certainly not a metallurgist or mechanical engineer I know what is not supposed to be used.  A lot of guns were failing at the time and the reports were making it to the publishers desk and he was interested. Most were from people shooting Maxi-balls in Wal-mart specials and even cheaper copies of Wal-Mart specials. Some even used smokeless.
If you did not read the letter from LaSalle Steel (they developed the material IIRC and trade marked "Stressproof and "Fatigueproof" (12L14) but neither is either when used for gun barrels) you might want to search and find it. I think I posted it on this site at one time or another. But what would they know? They never made a ML barrel. (More ROTF laughing)

Dan