Author Topic: hawk and blades  (Read 21830 times)

lew wetzel

hawk and blades
« on: June 27, 2008, 02:43:50 AM »
some pics of my war hawk and blades i use .like to see what some of you other fellas have.

lew wetzel

Re: hawk and blades
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:05:37 AM »
wow,nobody wants to show off thier hawks and blades...shame on you guys...

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 03:53:39 AM »
I have some nice knives and a spike hawk, all custom made for me and representative  of the F&I period. It helps when one of your best friends is a knife and hawk maker. However, I don't have any pictures of them right at the moment. Maybe later??

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Frank

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:57:39 AM »
I have a bunch. I just don't have the means to post pictures. :-[

Paul D. Wannemacher

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 04:45:17 AM »
Like the others I have quite a few,Most of mine are BEAVERBILLS very well made and very resonably priced.  ;D Also like the others I have not figured how to post pictures.  :-[ Some day I'll learn  :P

Offline albert

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 07:14:36 AM »
well,I tried to post photos,but I didn't do it right,hope you can open the link.
j albert miles

Buffler Razz

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 01:59:02 PM »
Here is my latest build and the one I am carrying to Rondy's. The blade is from an old wood water barrel ring and the scales are from some leftover osage that went into a bow.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 12:31:20 AM »
Here's a shot of my knife, and hawk. The hawk head is a George Ainsley, the rest is my work.

lew wetzel

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »
lrb,nice set ya got there,really like the hawk.i have to do the handle of mine .ive been slacking.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 04:14:25 PM »
Wick,
I love the hawk.  Nice set.  What's the inlay on the back of the handle?
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 09:18:08 PM »
  Thanks Ken. It's a sterling wrist plate with my initial.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 09:51:24 PM »

Happy Fourth of July, God bless America.
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 11:07:32 PM »
  Now I'm jealouse!  Beautiful hawk!!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
 Wick,
 I just love your knives! Do you use oil quench steel or water? I need a nice belly knife(scalper).

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 02:11:37 PM »
  I use an oil quench. With 01 there really is no choice other than salt baths. I will be looking into that down the road a bit. I like what I've read about the salts. No scale, no smoke, no smell, but very corrosive to any nearby metals.

lew wetzel

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 03:41:58 PM »
what kind of salt.and would it leave pitting.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 05:34:01 PM »
  From what I've read on the salts, they are a type of chemical salts, similar to bluing salts. No, no pitting. The heat treated blade is just a clean gray color, and the edge can be taken right down to finished thickness, ready to sharpen before heat treat. Absolutely no decarb either. The problem in my case is the set up cost. One day maybe. I am studying on it.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »
Salt quenching baths are quite common and purified salt is most often used for the base so as to establish a stable baseline, from there the bath can be varied for specific properties/results by adding other minerals/mineral salts to it - not much different than changing the alloy of a lead bath to adjust its properties.

O-1 is "O-Oil hardening", salt baths are not required but can be used.  As with anything else, the type of oil and additives/contaminants contained in it will adjust the resultant properties of the quench bath.  Like any other quenching bath, the combinations are nearly endless and the results of quenching will be directly affected by the properties of the bath - new oil is not going to produce the same results as used oil the same as the results using heat transfer oil will be considerably different than those using mineral gear oil.  One word of caution, if you're heating your oil bath, too hot and it can erupt with a violent explosion when the hot iron goes into it.

Quenching baths should not be confused with pickling or tempering baths, three separate and totally different operations however, it is often possible to produce a combination pickling/tempering bath so as to accomplish both operations at the same time.  The melting point of relatively pure sodium chloride is around 1474°F, boiling point 2670°F.

The raise to temperature and hold times also have a considerable affect on the results - just getting the steel into the austenitic range is not enough, some alloys require defined raise & hold temps and times to achieve the desired results.  A rapid response surface contact thermocouple will help eliminate a lot of error and blind guessing.
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

S.Willis

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 05:29:49 AM »
Those are some really nice Hawks and blades

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 04:44:03 PM »
 Robby where did you get that hawk head from. The finished product looks great
but I really like that head style.

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »
Tim, I got that head from track of the wolf. If I remember right, it is called an English pattern. I did some modifications, like flattening the bowl and filing. Thanks
                                                                 Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 02:11:02 AM »
 I have used tham before but from Davis, I like your mods.

Tim C.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 03:22:59 AM »
I Have no knivesor hawks...YET.  Just as soon as I can find an anvil though I plan to do the best I can to make some. Have line on 3 anvils and found blacksmith close enough to call upon for tutorials.

Rich

lew wetzel

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 06:37:51 AM »
lurch,ball pean hammers are great for forging hawks.good steel and just the right weight.my war hawk was forged from a hammer.