Author Topic: A few questions about horns  (Read 4412 times)

Offline wvmtnman

A few questions about horns
« on: September 29, 2008, 01:34:21 AM »
I am wanting to make a horn but was wondering how it it done.  Are there any good web sites on making horns?  I am unsure about shaping it.  I have heard people say they put the horn in hot oil to get them soft then put the shaper in. 

Also, I am finishing up a fullstock WV rifle from the 1860's period.  What type of horn would go with that style gun?  I would imagine something pretty plain.
                                             Thanks in advance, Brian
B. Lakatos

Scott Brush

Re: A few questions about horns
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 05:04:26 PM »
Brian,

American Pioneer Video has a good DVD on making powder horns with the late Ron Ehlert; http://www.americanpioneervideo.com/index.html

And Track of the Wolf published a book by Scott and Cathy Sibley on making horns; http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(pcy12b454qfdgb55oqu0hrbf))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=1&subId=12&styleId=39&partNum=BOOK-R18CPH

Both are very helpful and offer some variations on the process.

You will also be able to get many of your specific questions answered right here.

Good luck,
Scott

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 05:20:10 PM »
I have an original bag and horn from Hardy County, WVA. No idea how old it is. The horn is very plain. The butt was not shaped, the plug was whittled to fit instead. It has a large iron staple in the plug and a previous owners initials carved (crudely) in the plug. The horn is attached to the bag straps with leather straps.

If you like, I can try to take some pictures this weekend and email them to you. No promises, I have a wedding on Saturday and may not get to it.

Dale H

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 05:34:37 PM »
 If you do a Google or Yahoo search on making power horns you will find a couple. The book and video already refered are your best bets.

Tim C.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 08:26:04 PM »
Brian,

The "Book of Buckskining II" is available through "Muzzleloader" magazine and has a good article by Don Wright about making powder horns.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 12:07:52 AM »
Brian,

The "Book of Buckskining II" is available through "Muzzleloader" magazine and has a good article by Don Wright about making powder horns.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

That is a good one, I forgot about it.

Tim C.