Author Topic: Pretty Snazzy Rifle by JH Johnson  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Pretty Snazzy Rifle by JH Johnson
« on: November 08, 2010, 01:09:02 AM »
A couple of new arrivals over at Michael Simens site. The Johnson rifle is unusually fine for this shop. Of coarse, priced accordingly! http://michaelsimens.com/latestarrivals.asp?productCategory=Latest+Arrivals
Joel Hall

Offline rlm

Re: Pretty Snazzy Rifle by JH Johnson
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:51:03 PM »
Captjoel, glad to see that Johnston Rifle. That certainly is one of his better efforts. Really he was a good maker for his time and this example shows really good quality work. Apparently the condition is near mint. I also see that it is now listed with a hold. Not an outlandish price with that condition.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 06:31:41 AM »
Can anyone give me more information on JH Johnson.  Doug Johnson
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Herb

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 07:28:29 AM »
There is a good write up in "The Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania" by Rosenberger and Kaufmann.  He was born December 16, 1836 in Waynesboro, Franklin County, PA.  He opened the Great Western Gunworks in Pittsburgh in 1866, which was a large business making many guns.  Two are pictured in this book, and I built a copy of the one shown as No. 35.
Herb

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:13:04 PM »
Perhaps an important point, the name is Johnston.. not Johnson.

Offline rlm

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 03:19:44 PM »
I think I'm right in saying that JH Johnston lived his whole life in the WAYNESBORO  area of south central PA. It may have been a son who started the business in Pittsburgh.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »
An interesting senereo on the name. There was a J.H. Johnson (John H. Johnson) from Waynesboro PA. listed in Ned Robert's book "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle". He listed the name with both the Johnston and Johnson spellings with a ? over the Johnson. The Pittsburg proprietor of the Great Western Gunworks went by James H. Johnston. The seller of this rifle over at Simens has it listed as signed by Johnson. I sure would like to know what is without a doubt stamped in steel on this piece.
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 04:58:12 PM »
On another note of interest concerning the Johnston family. I had a visit with my late mothers sister Suzan Johnston yesterday. It appears her late husband Michael Johnston (uncle Mike) reared in southern Indiana was James H. Johnstons great grandson. My mothers other sister was married to a man named Johnson from PA. Wholly molley!
Joel Hall

Offline rlm

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »
The rifle was signed in script wich leads me to believe that this is a product of the elder JOHNSTON. I have seen a number of his rifles. This one is typical, perhaps a little fancier than most.