Author Topic: Shipping a flintlock to the UK  (Read 4822 times)

Rick

Shipping a flintlock to the UK
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with shipping a blackpowder arm to the UK?  Any suggestions on where to look for regs concerning shipping to the UK?  Thanks ~ Rick

Offline Gene Carrell

Re: Shipping a flintlock to the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:29:58 PM »
Talk to Joe Hepsworth. He makes the trip every year or two, both personally and as  part  of our  International Team. He may not be transporting flintlocks, but will have a lot of experience with  long range muzzleloaders. Find  him at:  http://www.jcunard.com/

Good luck,
Gene

Offline jim meili

• Wisconsin Muzzle Loading Association
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:15:04 PM »
Rick, I have shipped a percussion pistol to the UK and a percussion rifle to Austria. In both cases I just packaged them up good and filled out the proper customs forms and off they went. In both cases the receiver on the other end was notified by their postal service and they had to pick them up. It was their responsibility to have the right credentials to receive a firearm in their country and to pay the customs fees. No problems that i was ever aware of.
Jim

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:28:44 PM »
We ship rifles, locks, and barrels to the UK, Europe, and Australia each month.  No problems because muzzleloaders are not classified under the Federal Firearms Bill of 1969 as firearms, but rather as antique replicas.  Antique replicas are shipped all the time around the world.  Just keep the mind set of Antique Replica when describing the product on the customs form and of course avoid the words gun, rifle, smoothbore, etc. 

Now where you may run into a problem is the length restrictions on a box via the US Postal Service.  I ship all international items vis the US Postal Service (paperwork is a lot easier to fill out and prices are far more reasonable) unless the rifle is too long to the particular country.  Each country has it's own size limits you can check them on the USPS web page.  If it's too long to go US Post, then I have to ship it UPS Supply Chain Freight.  This isn't too much of a hassle, but does typically double or triple the price. 

Again I am either vague or overly descriptive on the customs form depending upon the item.  I.E. Barrels are listed as "42" 12L14-B50 Steel Machine Tubing" to describe a York B weight 50 cal. barrel, locks are listed as "Antique Lock" most people will think Door Lock instead of flintlock when they see this, rifle kits are described by item groups "52" curly maple sample wood, brass cast antique lock parts, steal cast antique lock parts, lock screw set".  You get the idea.  If you need further help, please shot me an email and I'll lend you my shipping knowledge.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:29:13 PM by Blackpowder Barbie »
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 11:48:39 PM »
We ship rifles, locks, and barrels to the UK, Europe, and Australia each month.  No problems because muzzleloaders are not classified under the Federal Firearms Bill of 1969 as firearms, but rather as antique replicas.  Antique replicas are shipped all the time around the world.  Just keep the mind set of Antique Replica when describing the product on the customs form and of course avoid the words gun, rifle, smoothbore, etc. 

Now where you may run into a problem is the length restrictions on a box via the US Postal Service.  I ship all international items vis the US Postal Service (paperwork is a lot easier to fill out and prices are far more reasonable) unless the rifle is too long to the particular country.  Each country has it's own size limits you can check them on the USPS web page.  If it's too long to go US Post, then I have to ship it UPS Supply Chain Freight.  This isn't too much of a hassle, but does typically double or triple the price. 

Again I am either vague or overly descriptive on the customs form depending upon the item.  I.E. Barrels are listed as "42" 12L14-B50 Steel Machine Tubing" to describe a York B weight 50 cal. barrel, locks are listed as "Antique Lock" most people will think Door Lock instead of flintlock when they see this, rifle kits are described by item groups "52" curly maple sample wood, brass cast antique lock parts, steal cast antique lock parts, lock screw set".  You get the idea.  If you need further help, please shot me an email and I'll lend you my shipping knowledge.  ;D
I hope we have all noticed how willing to help this young lady is!!!!  Darn good PR for the business she is working at!! So, if you need anything in their line,consider them first :)

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 12:39:29 AM »
Thanks Roger, but it's my pleasure.  This industry is a difficult one to ever make a living at much less enough to pay two people.  So Pop and I are always greatful for all of you guys!  If I can help I'll do my best. 
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 12:42:28 AM »
Iron ore, smelted and refined.
Tree, dried and cut.
Copper and zinc alloyed and cast.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Rick