Author Topic: Very interesting rifle on Art and Jan's site today  (Read 8490 times)

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Very interesting rifle on Art and Jan's site today
« on: November 17, 2010, 03:27:35 PM »
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

Really striking piece and it looks like nothing I've ever seen.  Hardware is one of a kind and really cool, but blends some unsophisticated parts (the sideplate) with some very fancy pieces.  Based on the lock, and the sideplate being more rudimentary looking than the rest of the hardware, I am thinking maybe a ca: 1800 restock of some earlier parts with a newer, smalller lock than was on the original.

Other than that I could not begin to venture much on the origins of this one, other than some things about the hardware forms and decorative motifs on the mounts call to mind the region of eastern Pennsylvania that Eric Kettenburg has done so much research on so he might have some insight on it- I hope he sees it.  At first, I thought it was one of his projects but it is antique.   But the architecture - the long wrist and extreme drop, and the use of a sliding wooden box at a relatively late date, are things that sort of grab me as southern, perhaps North Carolina, but I doubt it.

I missed it at the Norris show...I guess I need to get my head out from being buried in the iron mounted guns for at least a few mintues when I am there.... ;)

Guy
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:31:48 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline woodsrunner

Re: Very interesting rifle on Art and Jan's site today
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:57:30 PM »
Awesomely interesting piece! I'm eager to hear what others say about the origion. I would think Pennsylvania, but I'm in "middle school" hanging around a bunch of Ph.D's in this subject  ;D

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »
My very humble opinion is that the volute carving on the buttstock reminds me of similiar carving on Bucks County rifles. I'm also guessing the buttplate and trigger guard were " store bought " items , given the very simple sideplate and general lack of other sophisticated decoration. I have to mention the lower buttstock moulding, Very nice touch.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
Hi,
It is pretty clear to me that the maker of that rifle was almost certainly not the maker of the buttplate or triggerguard.  Those were either store bought or more likely, taken from another fancier gun.  The front extension of the guard looks like it was cut down to fit.   

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
Hi Guys,
My impression is that the hardware was taken from a Germanic gun with much more robust stock, possibly a Jaeger.  Look at the front of the triggerguard.  It was much wider originally (some the engraving is cut off) suggesting it was made for a gun with a wider wrist and lockplate area.  The engraving is very Germanic or central European in style possibly from the mid 1700's.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
The buttplate and guard both look narrowed to fit 1790's-1810's styles.  Wonderful architecture.  The stocker really knew what he was doing.  It's rare to see a hint of a step wrist on architecture that somewhat resembles Bucks County in profile, but this is beautifully done.  Is this a Tennessee rifle?  Anyone know where it was collected?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:02:50 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline art riser

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:30:49 PM »
We are trying to track down information on this piece.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:37:18 AM »
What an attractive gun! Thank you for passing it around. This is a curious piece which would be fun to handle and inspect. While it looks very old, my inclinations are that it is a post 1800 made piece as it has a Sharpe lock (after 1800 to about 1825) and a butt stock slimmer than a rifle made 20-30 years earlier. The hardware appears to be from a grand German Jaeger and has been filed down to make do on this particular gun. The carving is well done, but is not profuse. It does have an early look to it and I wonder if it was not made by an old school builder from Reading, or Northampton? The sideplate is eccentric and almost amateurish when compared with the rest of the work. Lots to learn here. Thanks again!
Dick

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 02:38:09 AM »
Probably something I built years ago with all that chip carving on it....... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 02:55:24 AM »

Hey Brooks,

You all settled in at the new plantation yet?

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 03:35:03 AM »
FWIW, I don't think that's a PA gun at all.  Reminds me vaguely of the Andrew Eaby pieces, in a loose association kind of way.   
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 04:04:19 AM »
Guy, I'm with you, in that I missed it at the show, but thank goodness Jan saw it and got some great pic's.  Did you notice the run out on the barrel.  I'm with Eric in that I think it's a southern gun, maybe southwest Virginia.  It's an interesting beauty with a questionable lineage.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 10:53:52 PM »
If it was originally a smoothbore, that would lead me more toward Pennsylvania where many appear to have been made that way originally in certain regions.  It sure is big bore and would have to have been re-breeched if it was originally rifled, because it got bored out so wide that the original plug would have fallen out.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 12:53:16 AM »

Hey Brooks,

You all settled in at the new plantation yet?
In, but not settled. Been building a wall enclosing my new shop....never knew bending nails was so easy..... ;D
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »
Despite the reuse of earlier hardware, there seems to be a couple of details that would suggest a possible North Carolina origin for this rifle. Strong butt and fine wrist architecture, partially flattened comb, and the fluted lower butt molding, seem to suggest a better quality NC gun. The guard with its rather long, low bow with heavy front post, and rear spur flattened on the bottom, seem to also support the same possible origin.  Shelby Gallien

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 01:13:20 AM »
Hardware is 1740-60 German, if i had to guess. What a great funky parts gun.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline bgf

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 03:50:46 AM »
Could it have been percussion at some point, either originally or converted -- there is what looks like pitting from primer spray just ahead of the lock?  That would make the current lock not likely original and might also explain to some degree why the sideplate looks a little out of place in terms of workmanship.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »
Hardware is 1740-60 German, if i had to guess. What a great funky parts gun.

Tom
I'd put the hardware a little later than that.