Author Topic: buckskins  (Read 13718 times)

cahil_2

buckskins
« on: August 16, 2010, 09:34:55 PM »
To all you guys who wear buckskins, are they hot in the summer?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: buckskins
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 11:02:23 PM »
I wear 'skins' at all BP get-togethers.   In the 80's I had a pair of pants I made from commercial tanned moose hide, and a pull over shirt of commercial tanned deer skin.  They wear hot.  Now I wear leggings of brain tanned mule deer hide, and a wool breech clout.  My shirt buttons up the front, and is of brain tanned elk.  Usually, I wear the shirt only if it's a little chilly or damp, preferring a linen pull-over that goes almost to my knees.  The brain tanned leather is not hot at all.  It is very light in weight though the skin is probably twice as thick as the commercial stuff.  Not hot at all, but here's a warning...they are no protection whatsoever from cactus needles.

I have no idea why a man would prefer pants to a pair of tightly fitting leggin's and a 'clout.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:04:28 PM »
It all depends on what kind of hides they are made of albeit none are as cool as linen:
1) GOOD real braintan and the German tan sold by Crazy Crow will breath and are generally not too bad especially for pants or even cooler leggings and a breech clout
2) Modern chrome tan - the standard buckskin available from most outlets does not breath and can be very hot to wear especially in humid weather.

FWIW - These observations are based on wearing buckskins for over 40 years, often months at a time since they were my only clothes.....

they are no protection whatsoever from cactus needles
Not much is! especially against those blankety blank chollas.......they make prickly pear look like kids toys.....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:06:37 PM by ChuckBurrows »
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:41:54 AM »
Buckskins are hot in the summer!!!

There's a reason the red man coveted the white man's cloth.

You only have to be caught in a rainstorm once to really appreciate buckskins.

Centershot

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 05:12:27 PM »
"You only have to be caught in a rainstorm once to really appreciate buckskins."

;) :D ;D :o :-\ ??? ??? ???

I've still got a pair of 'skin trews, but have otherwise gone mostly to wool and linen.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »
I've always thought it would be enjoyable to hunt in a set of fringed buckskins but the negatives I've heard about them (like those in this thread) have always steered me away from them...to say nothing of the high cost of having a set of real ones made.
But since I'm not a purist, I wouldn't mind having a set made out of some sort of look-alike material that at least breathed, could be cleaned, etc...wouldn't even have to be primary clothes...could just slip on over regular clothes for the fun of it.
"polyester buckins"  ;D

Like said in a recent post, why would ya want to clean your skins????????????????????????, I wear leggings and aprons, (clout panels on the front and back that hang from your belt without the diaper effect of the bunched up clout material in your crotch) hot weather calls for the regimental or commando day, nice and breazy under them aprons and helps keep things cooled off, the skins are a lighter weight mule deer hides and can be a tad warm.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 03:45:19 AM »
   If you're a buckskinner,you know that braintaned is the ONLY way to go. Chrome is way too hot and sticky. Chuck, what is german tanned?

Offline Chuck Burrows

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
German Tanned is a period tanning using fish oil traditionally and was widely used for tanning deer hides for breeches in particular back when - the end product is very similar to braintan albeit a bit heavier in weight due to the use of more oil.
It's imported by Crazy Crow from Germany where it is made using roe and red deer hides (similar in weight to elk) using the same process as was used during the 18-19th Century.
Main "advantage" is that it costs less than most good braintan - not all braintan is good, all depends on who tans it.......

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 04:23:25 AM »
"polyester buckins"  ;D

Can you say Saw Briers!!!!!!   :o
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 04:28:21 AM »
Chuck,
Thanks for posting the info on the German Tanned.  I have seen that listed and wondered if it was a decent compromise between brain and chrome tanned hide. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 07:58:52 AM »
 RB,
  Lots of us strive for Period correctness. You know, to match our 18th century rifles and guns?

ottawa

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »
go with the vinal couch and chaire mat :D or pleather

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a man trying to dress appropriately on the cheap, wearing cotton, corduroy, and calico, but the same fellow trying to fake leather - a joke!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline redwood

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
 Roundball,  I couldn't agree with you more.  Wearing a set of buckskins hunting would be really neat but the cost is very prohibitive.  Not everyone can shell out several hundred dollars for skins.  A couple years ago I bought two suede like shirts at Kmart.  My wife, who is a prfessional seamtress, took them apart and made one pullover shirt with fringe.  Not PC but looks pretty real and can be washed.  There is a material called ultrasuede which  looks much like deer skin and comes in several colors like skins.  Google it if you would like to check it out.

California Kid

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
RB wants to be going to be a Chinese Mountain Man!

Offline Chuck Burrows

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 11:49:01 PM »
But if the ONLY option is a VERY expensive, hot, sticky, dirty, smelly set of 'real' buckskins
1) The only option?: no especially for those doing eastern pre-1800. Wool, linen, hemp, linsey woolsey, and even cotton were widely used back when - in fact based on the known historical record more widely used than buckskin. A pair of linen breeches with wool or heavy hemp leggings and a linen hunting shirt would be a good start.
2) Hot, sticky? not if you use brain tan - no more hot than a pair of heavy jeans
3) dirty, smelly: your choice or not - buckskins can be cleaned, especially well smoked braintan. Folks, such as well known tanners Matt Richards and Billy Metcalf, that wear them as everyday clothes, including town wear, often wash them just like regular clothes in the clothes washer and then run them through the drier at no heat to "fluff" them up. See the folks at www.braintan.com for more info on caring for braintan clothing......

commercial chrome tan is a completely different "animal" and will be hot and sticky - dirty and smelly is again a choice since they can also be cleaned......

as for the oft repeated note re: barrel steel, etc. true but the main reason is economics, if you've got deep pockets than you get one made just like made in 1780. On the other hand things such as clothes can be done on a budget and still be "period".........as you say different strokes, but then again "doing it" as much as possible as our ancestors did it is a way of becoming closer to understanding how they lived.........
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:03:51 AM by ChuckBurrows »

Offline Artificer

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 05:10:53 AM »
To add to what Chuck mentioned, it was also true that wool was the preferred choice of trousers in the Rocky Mountain Period.  Many of the trappers would wear their "Sunday Go to Meeting" buckskins to roundezvous or town and then put on wool trousers when they went back to trapping - if they still had wool trousers of course.

Gus

Leatherbelly

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 06:09:26 PM »
   All my brain tan came from Billy Metcalf. His hides are second to none. ...get 'em dirty,throw them in the washer. come out like new again. Chuck, what a small world.that being you know Billy. I'm shopping for a pair of short leggins for eastern longhunter. May have to phone Bill for a hide or two.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
Same reason I like anything I use to be clean...don't lke to wear grunge ;D
Like I said, I'm not a purist, am not into "living history", this is just a hobby to me.
ie: my Flintlock barrels aren't hammer forged around a mandrel, they're made from modern steel and so on

Roundball,
I don't care what you wear, but comparing the use of plastic faux leather to the use of modern steel is not a valid comparison- modern barrels look and function exactly like old ones, the differences being in the methods of manufacture and a small difference in carbon content. Faux leather is plastic, and neither looks or acts like actual buckskin.

If you wanted to point out that most traditionalists still use modern steels for their cutting tools, where the difference between modern and 18th century might actually be significant, you could have a somewhat better point. The differences between modern and original sights might be a valid point  as well. But barrel manufacture techniques?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:27:46 PM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Leatherbelly

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
   Roundball,
     You need to go to a rendezvouz! No,we're not all "Purists" per say. But most of us are history buffs and strive to be as traditional as we can. Getting it "perfect" takes time and lots of research. Thus adding more fun to our sport. Brain tanned is lofty, thicker yet lighter and softer than any other method of tanning I know of. Get yourself a book on brain tanning and tan up some of those whitetails you get every fall. It is a little labor intensive pulling the hair out with the dull side of a drawknife but thats the hardest part. Just my .02 cents worth.

mike e

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 05:29:23 AM »
What about the cheaper "garment suede" leather. I know its not PC but would it turn briars and be cooler and breath better than chrone tanned leather? A cheap alternative to brain tanned buckskins?

Offline Artificer

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »
What about the cheaper "garment suede" leather. I know its not PC but would it turn briars and be cooler and breath better than chrone tanned leather? A cheap alternative to brain tanned buckskins?

Mike,

They used to have what was called cowhide "splits" that were of lighter weight and rough on both sides.   They ran 3 to 4 ounce and were not too heavy for use in the fall and winter.  However, I just checked Tandy and they only seem to stock 4 to 5 ounce that would be too heavy.  ALSO, some of the older splits had dyes in them that would easily wash out with sweat or rain.  Anyhow, I only knew a few people who tried them and then they went to period cloth of some sort.
Gus

Flinter

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 03:03:55 PM »
This is an interesting thread! First, I have to get a rifle other than a Thompson/Center which I am working on. After I get a flintlock, I would like to have some period clothing. Chuck, in his post, listed Crazy Crow as a place where you can buy these items. Can you guys list any more internet sites or people that make this type of clothing?

Mike

mike e

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 07:52:32 PM »
Flinter, check the "Web Links" on the opening page of this site. There's a good list of sources there.

NAF#123

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 07:10:24 AM »
This is an interesting thread! First, I have to get a rifle other than a Thompson/Center which I am working on. After I get a flintlock, I would like to have some period clothing. Chuck, in his post, listed Crazy Crow as a place where you can buy these items. Can you guys list any more internet sites or people that make this type of clothing?

Mike

Howdy Mike,
Here's a real good place, he does great work for a good price:   http://www.stitchinscotsman.com/main/intro.htm