Author Topic: Old eyes & open sights... again.  (Read 35211 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Old eyes & open sights... again.
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2010, 08:20:56 PM »
Harnic, Sat down for lunch and the UPS guy shows up with the Gehnann eye piece. I couldn't wait, so I clipped it on and and shouldered a few different guns. Its very handy, and flips up out of the way for unobstructed view. I'm left handed and the iris is located slightly to the advantage for a right eyed shooter, but it still works for me with a little innovative clamping, Something learned growing up in a right hand world ;D. I also have been looking at flexible stick on lenses that Kermit has described. I'm thinking I can trim one down and stick it in the upper corner of the lens. I think it might work pretty good for hunting. If it doesn't work, this thing will!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Harnic

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2010, 01:00:35 AM »
Thanks for the update Robby!  It sounds great!  I know as soon as I order one winter will set in & shut me down for the year (danged fingers get too cold now to shoot muzzle loaders).  I have one on my list for Xmas & if no one treats me well this year, I'll order one in the new year.  It sure looks like the cat's meow!

Harnic

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »
How's the iris working for you Robby?  I ordered mine yesterday, it should be here next week.  I'm really looking forward to using it!

Daryl

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2010, 02:06:25 AM »
Couldn't take a chance on getting one wrapped up, Harry? ;)

Harnic

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2010, 03:52:38 AM »
Not ready to stop shooting this year Daryl!  :D

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2010, 04:14:51 AM »
 I took out the gun I plan on using for opening day of our deer season, hooked that iris on my glasses, loaded up, mentioned to a guy that just showed up,  first shot, cold bore, its the only one that counts. After the report, I flipped it up out of the way, and could see the hole in the bulls eye at one hundred yards. Its a keeper Harry. I will probably try to come up with a better mounting system, but overall I'm very happy with it.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Harnic

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2010, 04:23:28 AM »
Good news Robby!  Thanks for the report.  I really look forward to being able to see both sights AND the target again!

FRJ

« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2010, 03:37:02 AM »
I am left handed and have been so all my life. A couple years ago I lost the sight in the center of my left eye.Due to  a stroke. All my guns are l/h and so are all my bows even my knives are built l/h. First I tried fibre optic on my ML and that helped a little then I went to a lyman peep and use it ghost ring. I know I cant compete this way but I can shoot this way and I prefer hunting to anything else. Wish I could use the peep in competition but understand that youngsters wouldn't want to give any advantage to my 67 year old eyes. Maybe if I was just allowed to shoot without competing that would suffice. Frank

Daryl

« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2010, 10:26:03 PM »
FRJ - there are a host of legal sights that can be used as peeps, but satisfy the rules - perhaps the search function would bring some up.  As long as it is open at the top, it is usually allowed.
Some original Hawkens had smaller diameter full buckhorns, that were sighted like a peep for 100 yards and in the notch for close range- or so it is surmised.
There are optons if you are serious about competing - sights that look authentic, but allow an old set of eyes to compete.