Author Topic: A word to the wise  (Read 6983 times)

Offline Pete G.

A word to the wise
« on: December 19, 2010, 12:00:08 AM »
My latest build was a late Valley of Virginia rifle with double set triggers. I used the L&R because the bar for the front trigger was high enough to allow for adjustment of a good pull. This trigger also has an adjustment screw to limit the travel of the rear trigger main spring. Sounds like a good idea, and even if it is a socket head screw it is small enough to not be noticed. The problem is that every time the spring hits the screw it puts a strain on the threads in the direction to unscrew the adjustment. I didn't notice this until the lock would no longer stay in the full cock notch of the tumbler. At first I though that something in the lock had broken, but that was not the case. The rear trigger had gradually worked upward until it was touching the sear bar and keeping the sear from seating fully in the full cock notch. Not so much to keep the lock from being cocked, but enough to let the lock fire unexpectedly; a rather startling and dangerous situation.

I have since staked the trigger plate adjacent to the screw and put a drop of stock finish on the threads, but haven't used it enough to know if this will keep the adjustment. In the meantime I thought I would share the experience and give others a heads up.

roundball

Re: A word to the wise
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:37:35 AM »
Since I'm sure you're aware of / probably used it in other places, is there a reason why blue Loc-Tite is not an option?

camerl2009

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 01:08:51 AM »
Since I'm sure you're aware of / probably used it in other places, is there a reason why blue Loc-Tite is not an option?

i dont see why not

ERH

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:48:05 AM »
lock tight works well for this problem. if u use the non permanent stuff u can heat the screw and the lock tight will loosen up if u need to

Leatherbelly

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 02:20:19 AM »
Blue loc-tite is good.I owned a few rubber mounted Harley's and this is what I used. We called it Dyna Blue referring to the rubber mount HD's. Red loc-tite,a much more stiffer compound and better hold for vibration, we called "Softail Red" and for "rigid" frames, hah! "Hardtail Green"! The green stuff is like welding it, so stay clear of this one.
I would use the blue stuff without hesitation.I think it's referred to as Thread Locker.

Offline BJH

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:45:05 PM »
I use the Blue lock tight for sear screws on set triggers. Also once you get the adjustmen about figured out you can shorten the screw till it bottoms out on the plate. Get one or two tiny washers from a model railroad supplier for shims under the screw head to allow for adjustmen in the future. Between the lock tight and washers I no longer have any trouble with these screws moveing.
BJH

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:43:09 PM »
If bottomed, the screws don't back out - otherwise, it's lock-tite. Pinching the crew threads with fine needle-nosed pliers can also be a stop-gap method.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 06:44:34 PM »
The screw I'm referring to is a small socket head screw (think set screw here) that limits the travel of the kick off spring. It is located behind the rear trigger right about where the back of the bow intersects the trigger plate. Sounds like you guys are talking about the trigger adjustment screw. Anyway, the tung oil stock finish (18th Century Loc Tite) seems to be doing OK. I used it because I've always used it on scope mounts on bolt action rifles and have never had a problem with it. Additionally it sort of disguises the screw and makes it look sort of like the end of a screw coming through from the inside.

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 02:33:54 AM »
Old Brit motorcycles a pretty notorious for shaking. For years I've used clear nail polish to keep bolts and screws tight. No reason it wouldn't work on guns also.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 07:28:55 PM »
I have used nail polish on screws for yrs an it works great plus it already around most homes
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »
Blue Loc-tite and nail polish both have worked for me in a number of applications without any problems.  I don't see why stock finish wouldn't do, as well.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 10:06:28 PM »
Blue Loc-tite and nail polish both have worked for me in a number of applications without any problems.  I don't see why stock finish wouldn't do, as well.

Nail Polish :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »
Nail Polish :o :o :o :o :o
[/quote]

OK How about  "Transparent, rapid dry, cosmetic lacquer" ;D ;D ;D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
An advantage with nail polish is how nice the brighter colors look on your toenails as well as the usual finger nail application.  Makes you feel, well....fresh!  And if you like "pick up fights" I don't know of a better way to find them.  ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 12:34:42 AM »
  When you have everything adjusted and tuned up, measure the height of your backlash adjustment screw (distance between trigger plate and mainspring), then remove the screw. Counterbore the outside of the plate to near the full depth of the screw head. Run the screw in tight to the plate and then adjust the height of the screw shank to your original measurement. You can flush off the head to the plate if you like. This is how lots of originals were set up, if you look you see a screw slot showing on the underside of the plate where they were filed flush after adjusting.
   You can also easily drill and tap for a bit bigger screw, a little more solid and more authentic looking. I sometimes use a 6 -40 and case harden it after it's trimmed to length.