Author Topic: Portable shooters table  (Read 11251 times)

roamer

Portable shooters table
« on: November 22, 2010, 01:39:12 AM »
How do on this beautiful Sunday evening.
Does anybody have any illustrations or plans on making a portable shooters table.
I"d be greatly appreciative.

Offline Karl Kunkel

Re: Portable shooters table
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:14:30 AM »
One of the Sapergia's had a neat one posted several months ago.
Kunk

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 06:44:22 AM »
They aint pretty, and I never tried it, but were'nt old wooden ironing boards used for this once upon a time?
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:16 AM »
This falls into the "not pretty" category, but since I shoot on informal ranges it works great.  I just slide a sheet of 3/4" ply into the bed of my truck along with a folding chair and a saw horse.  When I get where I'm going I pull the truck sideways to the backstop, drag the ply about half way out and rest the end on the sawhorse.  Unfold the chair, and I'm in business.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 04:54:04 PM »
Google or Bing "shooting bench plans"

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

DEADDAWG

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 06:38:22 PM »

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 08:55:01 PM »
Shop-mates work.  just take a sheet of ply, 1/2" to 1" and screw a 2foot length of 2x4 to it. Clamp the 2x4 in the bench and you're done. You could notch one corner out for right or left hand shooting - or both.

The other way, is to buy a set of folding legs - Canadian Tire sells them, so they're on the market around North America. Screw the legs onto a length of 3/4" or 1" ply, about 2 1/2 feet wide, with shooting notches cut out.  Fold the legs flat and cut a carrying handle (notch) on one side, smoothed with sand paper to reduce splinters.

Here's Taylor's bench. I merely 'searched "shooting benches".

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:02:43 PM by Daryl »

roamer

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 12:35:07 AM »
You guys are amazing. When you mentioned Shop Smith,my Mother bought a Shop smith for my Dad in 1954. when he died at 82 in 2004 I took the SS to Dayton and had her rebuilt. Every time I use the SS I think of my best friend my Dad.

When I build those tables and stands he will be with me

Again thanks

northmn

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »
While portable benches are great and the best, sometimes a pair of X sticks can fill in.  I ahve shot more than one deer with X sticks made out of either cord or tape and sticks cut out in the woods.  Also good for roughing in a rifle up close if you ahve a range like mine where the bench is fairly heavy and the target stand is also fairly weighty.

DP

Sharpsman

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 05:29:50 AM »
Here's mine:

IMG_0502 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 11:15:53 AM »
 T.C. get a metal ironing board from the thrift store. They are hight adjustable, and no splinters.

Sharps, that trailer is good, but a friend that has access to a big cattle ranch up north shoots ground squirrels from one that is similar except for bigger tires, a sun canopy, and an ice chest.

Hungry Horse

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 03:06:57 PM »
2nd the workmate since I rarely use mine for anything other than collecting clutter. I find it to be too low. I cut a shallow groove in a block of styrofoam and clamp it in the jaws. This makes a non- marring rest for the gun.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline snapper

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 03:13:12 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/MTM-PST-11-Predator-Shooting-Table/dp/B000F5UOYW

MGM portable shooting table.

I have shot off of a lot of tables, including several I have made.  For a portable table that is really easy to lug around, an use, this is the one.  Plus it is cheap.  The legs are OK, the stability is really good however.

I would not hesitate to buy this one again.  At $60 bucks, I think it is a great portable table for the price.

I just got done working up a new load for my Rigby using it.  Got the group down to 1" at 100 yards.  Never once cussed the table.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »
Take a look at the Husky work bench. Costs about $60 bucks. Folds up flat extremely stable. Has slots for clamps . Legs store underneath, has a carry handle. Works for me. Find em at home depot.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 01:18:39 AM »
These can be sued with 3/4" plywood to make a useable bench to shoot from. Not terribly expensive either. I made one and can easily fit it in the trunk of a Honda Accord when the legs are folded up. Getting the right thing to sit on is tougher to find for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Target-Precision-RB-H1034-Sawhorse-Complete/dp/B00005A1KE

Offline Breadhead

• Common sense is uncommon.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 05:31:16 AM »
I use this... albeit with a modified top that is bolted onto the frame that is attached to the cheap plastic one that comes with it...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/522717/caldwell-stable-table-portable-shooting-bench

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »
I use a fold up sawhorse and sand bags, very light, portable and stable.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 10:38:10 PM »
I got a dog grooming table off @#$%$Bay, folds up and is quite stable. about 20" 30" top, rubber mat covered, same legs as generic folding tables......Tom

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 11:32:05 PM »
I would like to post a couple pictures of the portable table I use for shooting rats, but it has modern guns on it. If you wish- send me a PM and I'll show the picture.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

mmprwarner

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 04:33:19 AM »
Follow this link this is a set of plans that are used for portable shooting table.http://media.wix.com/ugd/7ff034_b8304e224e1d4f5c95a859c267d05119.pdf