Author Topic: Started to reconsider...  (Read 7745 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

Started to reconsider...
« on: November 29, 2010, 01:10:53 AM »
   I started to reconsider where I stand on Rocklocks after this week of hunting.  I didn't see anything worth shooting till Thanksgiving Day.  It was pouring down the rain. I tried to make something to keep the moisture of the lock so I used a piece of leather soaked with boiled LS oil.  It worked fine until I removed it to fire at a Buck.  Just as I started to pull the trigger a LARGE raindrop fell into that little gap between the frizzen and the barrel.  I don't think I need to say any more.  I tried to stuff some dry powder into the vent and fire with no results.

I for whatever reason can't get the ball worm to work so I had to disassemble Frank and shove the ball thru the breech.  wound up doing that three times in two day's.  Finally got him to fire consistantly.  I still think a rocklock fires faster than a caplock and as long as it has a good sharp flint and a clear venthole (and dry powder) it will fire with more consistacey.   My biggest thing about the rocklocks is keeping the flint sharp.

I had 5 English flints 7/8x5/8 on monday.  After snapping off several flakes trying to sharpen them up I am down to one.  I asked sometime ago about the flint found here in Wv and have finally after SEVERAL attempts got two I can use.  Took a picture of the sparks.

I almost gave up on rocklocks. I just found out I have four more day's to hunt so you know what I'll be doing in the morning ;D

Rich

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Started to reconsider...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:16:15 AM »
What powder are you priming with?

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 01:22:06 AM »
I want to say Goex 7f  It is real fine almost a dust.  The can is not marked it only has 7f.  I bought it about two yrs ago from Cains.

Rich

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 01:59:36 AM »
Lurch: Mix up some bees wax/tallow (melt it together) to the consistency of heavy peanut butter, put small bead of the stuf all around pan but not so you will plug vent, then prime and close frizzen, she will shed almost any water event. Its worked for me for 30+ years.   Good luck      Gary

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:03:39 AM »
Beeswax I have...  But tallow??? What is Tallow??? ???

Rich

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 02:08:23 AM »
I want to say Goex 7f  It is real fine almost a dust.  The can is not marked it only has 7f.  I bought it about two yrs ago from Cains.

Rich

I would use 3F. It's less likely to pull moisture.

ken

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 02:14:24 AM »
You should prime with the same powder as you use in the gun . 2f works great. it has more graphite on it and will not suck the water as fast! The instructions above are really good. Also, remove the lock and put the same bead on the bolster. Then put the lock back in and continue as you were instructed above. Crisco and beeswax work just fine, even chapstick will work. Good Luck, and give it a try with a mist bottle outside.  :)

BrownBear

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 02:26:35 AM »
Tallow is rendered fat- like lard, but it could come from beef or venison, too.  You could just as well use lard, so long as it's not the salted variety.

I agree with Ken on the 2f.  I'm in a really wet climate (120" of rain a year), and it seems like the courser the powder in the pan, the better it resists humidity.  I've seen no penalty on dry days for using 2f rather than 3f either.

As for that big ole rain drop.  Did it happen to come from the brim of your hat?  Been there, done that. 

I agree that the gap between the pan cover and the barrel is the real stinker in serious rain.  If you don't have that covered/sealed, you're going to have wet prime.  I use a cows knee in the rain as a matter of course, but I also run a little bead over the joint between the pan cover and barrel to prevent big drops like you experienced once the cows knee is off. 

In my case I've been using an olive oil/beeswax mix (7/1), but it could just as well include fat.  What I like about that particular mix, body heat is enough to soften it almost instantly into a wet paste.  Hold a little ball of it in the palm of one hand briefly till it softens, then use one finger to smear a little over the barrel/cover joint.  It doesn't take much and you have to redo it if you refresh the prime.  But it's so easy, I do it as a matter of course.

ken

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 02:49:30 AM »
Wha ever mixture you use try putting in the fridge for awhile then take it out and see if you can work it , adjust your mixture acordingly too hard more grease,too soft add wax.

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 03:35:55 AM »
Last year was my first year for hunting with a flintlock in wet conditions.  On the last day a buck season, we had a really wet snow.  I had an oiled leather lock cover, I wrapped a cloth around the stock/barrel (just in front of the lock) so water would not run down the barrel  & reprimed often.  It went off when it needed to. 
   You can also file a groove in front of the fence and behind the frizzen.  This will help a little, sort of making it look like one of those english locks, giving the pan a raised affect. 
   I have never tried the wax trick but 3 f does help a little in the rain.
                                                                              Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline BrentD

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 03:47:35 AM »
I can't imagine why 3f would help in the rain. Unfired blackpowder is just that, unfired blackpowder.  It is not hygroscopic (contrary to popular belief).  4f will generally catch a spark better and flash faster, so use it if you have it.  If you have a large floppy raincoat, you might be able to keep the lock dry inside your coat, under your arm. 

Good luck and don't give up!

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 04:10:45 AM »
  I'm going to try the crisco&beeswax tuesday, it's suppossed to rain.  Really can't wait.  In seasons past I would have already had at least 2 down by now. Always used High Power.  This year is strickly Flinter  no matter what.  Frankenstein WILL take game. 

Thanks for the suggestions

Rich ;D

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 04:37:24 AM »
Coarser powder will have less surface area and more space between grains so there is less capillary action to to draw in water. It will make a difference.

There should be no gap between pan cover and barrel.

Seal around edge of pan and between pan and barrel with grease.  Axel grease or even Vaseline will do the job.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 05:58:16 AM »
I shoot /hunt in the rain and snow all the time. Dogleg/ cow's knee and the beeswax /grease trick works just fine.  Standard procedure when entering the Fall and Winter woods up here.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 07:01:51 AM »
Remember to wax the wood along the barrel channel and ahead of the lock too. Moisture can & will wick and find the powder in the pan.
I may be mistaken but isn't 4f glazed (FFFFg)? I know the 7f is not. I was told years ago the glazing on the powder was to help prevent it from drawing moisture.

Offline Dan

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 04:58:09 PM »
I found that many things suffice for water proofing a pan.  One that seems fairly convenient is chap stick. I use peppermint scented when hunting gay bucks.  ::)  Otherwise I'm fond of a 50/50 beeswax/Vaseline mix because I have a life time supply anyway.

The other recipes work too, maybe better.

BrownBear

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 09:47:35 PM »
One that seems fairly convenient is chap stick.

I like that idea.  Hard to imagine anything more convenient!

Thanks.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 12:16:26 AM »
I have hunted a bit in light rain and in moist conditions I avoid using 4F priming powder and use 3F or even 2F depending upon what is in my horn. I have noticed that 4F will get moist faster than heavier grain sizes. I refresh my prime often regardless. I have never had my gun refuse to go off as long as I did this. I also use a cows knee, and keep the lock out of the rain as much as possible, and keep the barrel and stock greased with beeswax/bearoil. If it is a frog drowing, drenching rain, I wait to hunt.

K

Galations 2:20

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 03:45:05 AM »
Use 3F

Centershot