Author Topic: PA with grease hole? (New photos added 12/2/10)  (Read 6861 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
PA with grease hole? (New photos added 12/2/10)
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:22:22 PM »
No signature, original flintlock but from what area? Several believe it has Lancaster origins (I hear screams of NO, NO!). Not sure maybe SW VA?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:46:56 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline woodsrunner

Re: PA with grease hole?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
This is going to be interesting! Personally I think I hear a Southern Accent, but my quals are rather weak ;).

Sam Everly

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 08:32:22 PM »
Dennis , if i had to bet i would say North Carolina. It is a very nice rifle . Rowan, Davidson,Mecklenburg . Some wheres around there.  If i see what i think i am seeing. The forstock moulding just stopping at the front rod pipe, that is North Caroilna 110% .Plus the top of the comb line just looks NC. I like the gun alot. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:02:00 PM by Sam Everly »

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 10:46:31 PM »
Dennis,
Bill Ivey and I agree with Sam.  We have both looked at the photos and think the rifle was likely made between Davidson County and Iredell County.  The side plate and the forestock molding are the features that are guiding us with this determination.

We would like to see photos of the forestock molding termination and entry pipe area. Can you post them please?

Michael Briggs 
C. Michael Briggs

Offline bgf

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 11:52:40 PM »
The shape of the tang made me think SW Va was unlikely (and what do I know), but that's all I could figure out.  Interesting assembly of elements.  The rest seems a little fancy for a grease-hole, but I guess that was all the original owner could make payments on :).

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:08:31 AM »
I'm far from an expert, but it sure says SW VA or Northern NC to me!  I really like this rifle!  It looks like it has an interesting story to tell.  Thanks for sharing it with us Dennis!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 02:37:03 AM »
We would like to see photos of the forestock molding termination and entry pipe area. Can you post them please?
Michael,
It will be toward the end of the week before I will be able to make the photos but I post more.

I could not help but wonder if it might be NC but only because the stock/comb looked so much like Mathew Gillespie's. Davidson and Iredell counties are not that far from Henderson County.

Dennis
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:02:44 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Sam Everly

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 03:42:52 AM »
Dennis , i live about 3 miles west of the Iredell county line. Davidson is just east of Iredell. Where I-77 and I-40 cross is In Iredell county .

SPG

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 05:21:24 AM »
Gentlemen,

Would it be fair to say that the grease hole was done by someone other than the maker? Doesn't really go along with the level of workmanship...

Just my thoughts,

Steve

Offline whitebear

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 05:32:40 AM »
Steve I was thinking the same thing, maybe the grease hole was an afterthought or added bu a later owner.  It sure doesn't have the same workmanship as the rest of the rifle.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 06:35:24 AM »
Steve beat me to it. Dennis, it almost looks like it came out of your book. Great gun.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 06:53:51 AM »
Hey Dennis - looks like my guess was not far off  ;)

Neat rifle - thanks for posting

Guy

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 08:01:42 AM »
My first impression was N. Carolina without reading further. Barrel tang and forestock molding. Plain guns often have less wood removed, often have a more robust look, and this confuses the styling. The sideplate could be significant or just a hardware store item. The rear pipe area, I think might be significant.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
The buttplate and triggerguard are very North Carolina looking to me - the triggerguard profile is very Kennedy-esque.  As Bill pointed out, the sideplate shape is very common on North Carolina guns, but also was found on many later flint rifles.  I think the detailing on the moldings and nosecap, the shape and decoration on the cheek inlay, and the tang shape all point to North Carolina. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: PA with grease hole? (New photos added 12/2/10)
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 01:16:13 AM »
Here are some more photos:

Dennis
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:18:00 AM by Dennis Glazener »