Author Topic: Upper Susquehanna Rifle - Laudenslager  (Read 5081 times)

Offline Loudy

Upper Susquehanna Rifle - Laudenslager
« on: December 05, 2010, 03:37:50 AM »
Below are photos of a rifle I recently finished for my daughter.  My goal was to build a rifle in the style of those built by my gggg-grandfather William Laudenslager & his brother Samuel Laudenslager, gunsmiths from Snyder County, PA.  This was my first Kentucky longrifle project.  I used a straight (un-tapered) 36" Green Mountain barrel in .45 cal.  It is 13/16" across the flats.  The lock and triggers are from R.E. Davis.  The triggerguard & buttplate castings were made by Reaves Goehring.  I made patterns for the patchbox & inlays from rubbing I took off original rifles made by the Laudenslager gunsmiths.  The incised carving design was also taken from an original rifle.  Someday I'll learn how to engrave (these guns just don't look right without some engraving).  My daughter and I sighted this rifle in last weekend.  She was very pleased with how it shot.  I appreciate & welcome all comments & suggestions.  I have a lot to learn yet.  I'm well into my next rifle project, an Upper Susquehanna style swivel-breech rifle!

Mark Loudenslager

Rainman

Re: Upper Susquehanna Rifle - Laudenslager
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 04:22:14 AM »
Very nice Mark.   Do you still have the over& under that you brought up to Woodcraft?  I am starting to build again now that the kids are all grown up and gone.  Give me a call and we will get together some time.

Semper Fi,
Dan Raney

Offline Loudy

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 04:36:01 AM »
Dan,

Great to hear from you.  This is the same rifle I started in your class!  I put it aside for a l-o-n-g time.  I finally finished it.  I can't thank you enough for sparking my interest in building these rifles.  Lots of fun.  We'll get together soon.

Mark 

Offline okieboy

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 04:40:04 AM »
 What a great first project! I would like to see a picture of the two of you firing this continuation of a legacy.
Okieboy

Rainman

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
Well you took your time but the wait was worth it.  How is your daughter now, 15?
Are you still making bows also?

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 11:15:10 AM »
    Nice, keep up the good work and bring on the pic's.    Good Luck    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »
Mark......will you be coming to the Lewisburg show?   If you do, bring this gun along, we'll tear it apart there.    I'll bring
my Joe Long copy along.   About your swivel breech gun, I take it that you will be building this whole thing from scratch?
It has crossed my mind many times to do a Joe Long swivel, but, then I come to my senses and forget about it......would
be fun tho.   I also would like to do another copy of a Joe Long.   I did some things wrong on my first one......I wanted to
do one as a shooter and I put a Hadaway lock on it, which is totally incorrect, this always bothered me...............Don

Offline Loudy

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 03:18:45 AM »
Okieboy,
Thanks.  My daughter is an excellent shot.  It would be great to have young eyes again!  I've enjoyed following the progress of your Chunk Gun project.  I hope to see you & your new rifle at a Show Me State chunk gun match next spring!     

Al,
Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I'll post some photos of the swivel-breech I'm working on. 

Don,
I hope to make it to the Lewisburg show in February.  If I make it I will bring this gun along.  By show time I may also have my swivel-breech gun done.  I'd appreciate you giving them both a good look over.  I made the swivel-mechanism from scratch using handtools only (not for purist reasons... only because I don't own a mill or lathe).  I used an L&R back action percussion lock and two .45 cal. Green Mountain barrels 13/16" across the flats.  It's going to be a heavy gun.  If I ever do another swivel gun I will make it a flinter with large caliber swamped or straight tapered barrels.  Indeed a fun project. 

Mark   

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 07:06:38 AM »
Mark, you did good. I really like this style and its nice to see another builder doing it.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 12:24:31 PM »
    Thanks for posting the pic's. good job.    AL
Alan K. Merrill