Author Topic: Johannes Moll gunsmith  (Read 4513 times)

Offline DaveM

Johannes Moll gunsmith
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:37:42 PM »
per the thread under Rupp, below is a transcript of an original document.

This indenture made the fifth day of September in the year of our lord one thousand seven hundred and sixty three between Johannes Moll of the Township of Rockland in the County of Berks in the Province of Pennsylvania Gunsmith of the one part and Nicholas Clemens of the same place Miller of the other part.  Whereas the said Johannes Moll in and by a certain obligation or writing obligatory under his hand and seal bearing even date here withstandeth bound unto the said Nicholas Clemens in the sum of one hundred and sixty pounds lawful money of Pennsylvania conditioned for the payment of seventy pounds like money on the fifth day of September which will be in the year of our lord one thousand seven hundred and sixty five.  Together with lawful interest for the same as in and by the said recited obligation and condition thereof relation being thereunto had at large appears.  Now this indenture witnesseth that the said Johannes Moll for and in consideration of the aforesaid debt or sum of seventy pounds and for the better securing the payment thereof with its interest unto the said Nicholas Clemens his executors administrators and assigns in discharge of the said recited obligation and for in consideration of the further sum of five shillings unto the said Johannes Mollin hand well and truly paid by the said Nicholas Clemens at the ensealing and delivery hereof the recipt whereof is hereby acknowledged hath granted bargained sold released and confirmed and by these presents doth grant bargain sell release and confirm unto the said Nicholas Clemens and his heairs and assigns a certain improvement and tract of land situate in the Township of Rockland aforesaid containing fifty acres, more or less bounded by the lands of PeterFreyvogel, John Barto, Lazarius Weidner, Nicholas Clemens (party hereto), land in the occupation of Louis Breem, and vacant land.  Together with all singular the houses, outhouses, Smithshop, mills of what kind foever? , woods, ways, waters, watercourses, rights, liberties, privileges, advantages, herediterments and appurtenances whatsoever there unto belonging or in any way appertaining and the reversions, remainders, rents, issues and profits thereof to have and to hold the said described improvements and tract of land hereditainments and premised hereby granted ...   The document goes on but becomes repetitive.  Apparently Louis Breem was a tenant on a portion of the property.  This document firmjly established that Johannes Moll worked in Rockland Township prior to moving to Allentown in 1764.  He was on the first list of taxable in Rockland Township in 1757 when the Township was established.  Originally it was part of Oley Township.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Johannes Moll gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 02:04:14 AM »
Well to play Devil's advocate, of course there is no way to *prove* that this is the same John Moll, but it seems almost silly to question it being the same guy.  Perhaps Allentown - a budding town and recently quite troubled and in need of firearms - seemed like a good business move.  It would be very interesting to know how early he could be traced back in Berks - just a guess, but I'd bet he was descendent of one of those upper Montgomery Co. Molls, or related to the family.  There were a few of them who arrived ca. 1730s-1750s, including two or three Johannes Molls.  One was about 15 yo in 173- (don't remember exactly), no parents noted (arrived alone?)  but I'd have to go back and dig out my notes to determine which ship it was and which date - was early 1730s.

Still hoping things work out for the best w/ your Dad, Dave.  When you have a chance, I'd love to know some specifics of how you came across this and where exactly you found it.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline DaveM

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 02:14:24 AM »
Erik, thanks for your kind thoughts for my dad.  I think he will be ok, will know better tomorrow with more tests.  He is 67 and was in seemingly great health until sudden kidney failure.

Dave 

ps - I'll send you an email with some other info - should I use the one listed on this site?

Offline DaveM

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 02:33:56 AM »
Eric, email sent.

Dave

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 10:43:37 PM »
To anyone who may be interested in this boring stuff:  Dave and I have been discussing this and I am VERY GRATEFUL to have someone with experience researching in Berks Co. looking at this with me!!!  (Thanks Dave!).  So far, based on land warrants and survey maps, it appears that Johannes Moll, Gunsmith, took up 50 acres of land in Rockland twp. between Jan. 1750 and Jan. 1751.  He is noted upon a survey map for 1751 on property adjoining Georg Ongstadt (George Angstadt, father of Adam and Peter Angstadt, and George was considerably older than Moll).  Moll never had a warrant, however; but, adjoining property owners who *did* get warrants are the source of this info, as the follow up warrant surveys show Moll being there.  So, Moll had to be *at least* 18 yo in 1751, which puts his birth no later than 1733.  He appears to have lived continuously on this parcel from 1751 through 1763 when he relocated to Allentown.  He was specifically noted as a gunsmith in the 1763 mortgage which Dave graciously shared, so now the questions running through my mind are, was he a gunsmith even earlier (i.e. 1750s), was George Angstadt a gunsmith (no solid proof of this yet) who may have taught Moll or was Moll trained earlier and possibly he taught Peter and Adam Angstadt?  Peter and Adam were born in the 1730s, so they certainly were apprentice age at the time Moll was there as a property owner right next door.

So many questions!  BTW, looking at palatine immigrations via the ship lists, the Johannes Molls as candidates are getting very few....
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »
Unfortunately, a restocked gun which probably was restocked in the early 20th century.  Some of the original hardware is there, and after comparing it to the hardware on two signed "John Moll" rifles ca. 1780s-1790s (one of which is pictured on my site), and comparing the engraving, I believe that they were made by the same man.  The other possibility is that the son - John II - engraved in an absolutely identical manner.

Offline DaveM

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:15:47 AM »
Eric, nice summary of info to date, and I'm glad to assist.  Thanks for posting the barrel photo.  To me it appears very early, but it is tough to say.  Would you be able to post any photos of the original hardware or of the barrel tang and sights?