Author Topic: the sprue  (Read 4486 times)

jim m

the sprue
« on: October 17, 2008, 11:07:29 PM »
sprue up or down. I've tried all different ways and I just don't shoot good enough to tell the difference. anyone have a preference and can you tell a difference in your groups.

Dave K

Re: the sprue
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 12:49:51 AM »
I point mine up, so I know at least where it is when I start it. I really don't think it makes any difference. Wacking the sprue to start the ball, may just reduce it's size a little.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 01:50:30 AM »
Sprue up for no paticular reason. Just always done it and was told along time ago that was the way it was done! Who am I to argue??
Bruce

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 02:16:39 AM »
Sprue up so I know where it is!

I understand that the hind end of the ball's shape is more important than the front!

jim m

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 02:28:47 AM »
yep, sprue up is the way I do it and for all the same reasons I seen posted so far.

Offline BJH

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 02:44:42 AM »
The Bevel Brothers did some  tests to quantify the difference  in their article in M.B.. If I remember correctly, sprue up  was more accurate with sprue down and random being less accurate.  They do much of their accuracy tedting with telescopic sights to eliminate error.
BJH

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 03:04:57 AM »
How can you be certain the sprue is straight down.  Heck - trying to get it perfectly centered straight up is a challenge sometimes, even though you can see it.  I doubt very much anyone can get it straight down and centred. Matter of fact, I'd put money on that. So- if it isn't centered perfectly straight down, then the base of the bullet is wonky - out of balance and cannot shoot as well as a perfectly centered ball with sprue up.  Roger is correct, the base must be perfect - well known fact & not fiction nor imagination.  Saying you can get the sprue straight down is fiction.

omark

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 04:01:12 AM »
i keep mine up but dont get too concerned if it isnt "perfectly" straight up.    shoots as good as i can

Leatherbelly

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 07:43:39 AM »
  I,ve tried it up,down,and sideways,it don't matter.Oh,were talking roundballs! Same,no matter!