Author Topic: Spitzer, H. 101104-1  (Read 9550 times)

Offline nord

Spitzer, H. 101104-1
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:35:48 PM »
This is a signed rifle, however the photo was inadvertently omitted from the series.

Comments:

Where are all these great VA guns coming from? I never saw a VA gun until a friend found a grand Henry Spitzer, and that remained the only one until the Library came into existence.
Now, there are many by various builders. Kudos to the Library proprietors!
This rifle seems to be pretty representative of the Spitzer Shoppe; it has carving, inlays and what appears to be a long barrel. It is not the most heavily ornamented gun but, it is a fine piece, and is clearly by Spitzer, most probably Henry.
It would be nice to have some measurements of this gun to accompany it into the Library where it properly belongs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This one is very similarly carved to the one I had, and is most pleasing.
It's difficult to get a feel for the engraving due to the picture quality, but seems to be in Spitzers style.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A beautiful rifle, not too ornate but it doesn't need to be.  It has great architecture, nice carving, and a very attractive patchbox. 

I enjoy the patchbox with a somewhat different shape, having side leaves that could come off a Salem, NC rifle. The carving also varies slightly with the elaborate detail under the cheekpiece.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:54:26 PM by Tim Crosby »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.