Author Topic: Dog locks PICTURES ADDED  (Read 15016 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Dog locks PICTURES ADDED
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 04:19:15 PM »
Mike,

In looking at the write-up on this piece in GBG 1540-1740, Neal lists the gun as "unsigned".
He also states that the monster side-plate is "restored" as well as stating the lock, although from the same period as the gun is a "replacement".

By delving into his writing over the past few years, I believe the restoration of the plate and the replacement of the lock was carried out by Neal himself , therefore there would be no need to explain why he thought the lock was a replacement.
He had acquired this gun in the first quarter of the 20th century. He had it on exhibit  at The British Sporting Exhibition at the Imperial Institute, South Kensington, in 1938.

I will email some other info.

James

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
Hi James,
Neal list it as unsigned but he includes it below the name of John Tarles, which I assume means he attributed the gun to him.  In other places in that book when a maker was unknown, Neal and Back write that the maker was unknown and don't write that it was just unsigned.  It does make things a bit confusing.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »
Correct Dave that's the format as I understand it as well. An "unknown" is listed on the page (or two ) prior.
Just pointing out that it was attributed only in case Mike uncovers something new.

It's a heck of a book. I held off due to price for a while but finally coughed up the bucks a few years ago. Glad I did.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:06:06 AM by James Rogers »

dannybb55

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 02:52:24 AM »
So Mike, When are you coming out with the Kit?  ;)

Michael

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 03:47:37 PM »
Interesting Mike. The rear sight looks like a tradegun rear sight. Can't see the whole sight in your picture.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 06:20:38 PM »
So Mike, When are you coming out with the Kit?  ;)
NEVER! ;D I don't think any barrel maker in his right mind would make a breech loadingbarrel like this!  :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 06:24:28 PM »
Interesting Mike. The rear sight looks like a tradegun rear sight. Can't see the whole sight in your picture.
Common sight style on early fowling guns....except for the folding leaf with the peep holes.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

dannybb55

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 05:33:29 AM »
Why not? It is obviously robust enough to survive for centuries and have worn rifling.