Author Topic: Cleaning Question  (Read 14047 times)

omark

Re: Cleaning Question
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 05:04:04 AM »
You can talk to 100 people on how they do it and will come up with 100  ways to do it.   You can't change my mind because my way is best...............Don

amen!!!  mark

nosrettap1958

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »
Nope, starting tomorrow I’m taking that darn barrel off that stock to clean it because cleaning it on the stock is a real pain in the butt!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:12:37 PM by crawdad »

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 05:27:28 PM »
Good idea Crawdad - my 14 bore rifle's hook-breeched barrel has been removed and dunked in colt water for cleaning since it was built in 1986 - probably only 5,000 shots fired in total, but every 30 to 100, it's been removed for cleaning - yet the Express sights are as true today, as they were when it was sighted in, 25 yeas ago.  They have not been moved since, yet the 100, 150 and 200 yard sights is dead on- still with the hunting load, and 50, 100 and 150 with the 'squib', target load.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 06:03:02 PM »
I have fairly recently got serious about fullstock flintlocks. On cleaning I have one of tracks "Flint flush kits" that requires removing the lock and attaching this devise to the bbl. at the vent. I invariably end up with a very damp lock mortise. I have also tapped the pins out and removed the bbl. which I find a lot less messy. When I tap the pins from left to right I use a proper sized punch and only tap them far enough to get a grip with a pair of pliers to remove them the rest of the way. I also lay them out in the order that they were removed so  that they are put back in the same place that they were removed from. Also I clean my muzzle loaders the way that Taylor and Daryl recommend. My question is if I continue to clean them this way (Pulling the pins) will they eventually become loose? I could also treat the mortise with trueoil. As most of my previous guns have been hooked breach and wedges I have not had this problem. Also I don't remove my vent liner when cleaning as it bottomed out when installed and I found it very difficult to remove.  Thank for any help,  Al
Hey Al, did you get your answer yet, or are you still sorting them out ??? Bottom line is "more than one way to skin a cat" seems like ::)

Al Lapp

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
Roger;
  Never thought that I would get so many replies, and in my opinion they all would work. I am going to go with removing the bbl. as I like to give it a really good scrubbing,and I can't seem to get away from having water splashing all over the place. Also I have not had any problem removing the pins. I usually run a jag through the bbl. a day or two later just to make sure there's nothing that I might have missed. I also leave my ramrod in the stock as I use a stainless cleaning rod with a muzzle protector for the actual cleaning. Thanks again for the many great ideas.     Al

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 11:41:47 PM »
If you think that here were a lot of replies on cleaning, then ask about patch lubes sometime.  ::)