Author Topic: Gun Building class  (Read 6990 times)

Pratt

Gun Building class
« on: October 02, 2008, 01:06:28 AM »
Our gun building class for the month of October at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio...

Log Cabin Sport Shop
Flintlock Gunsmithing Classes

Saturday 10/18/08, 12:00 – 4:00 PM: 
   For our October class our main topic will be various gunstock staining and finishing methods. Different methods of surface preparation, use of nitric acid stains, dye stains, fillers and finishes will be demonstrated on different types of wood. 
  There is no charge to attend.  As always we will leave time for general discussion and we encourage students to bring in their projects, finished pieces, or any other related items of interest.

lew wetzel

Re: Gun Building class
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 06:26:09 AM »
looking forward to it as usual...see you fellas there!!!!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 11:57:01 AM »
That is great thing you guys are doing! Wish we had something like it nearby.

Ohioan

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 07:47:03 PM »
I work until 12, and I'm about an hour and half away. 

Plus, I have a family runion that day. 

So I'm trying to decided between family reunion and going to the class.  hmmm.....

Pratt

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 03:22:41 AM »
You could always quit your job and get a new family, I have done that in the past and it has always worked out well for me

Firelock

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 05:45:22 AM »
4.5 hours away from me......very tempted to go....right after the Art and Arms making Workshop at Conner Prairie, this week.  ;)

Turkeyman

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 06:01:02 PM »
Ah well, another opening day of duck season missed.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 06:16:55 AM »
Geeessshhh, wish I lived closer to all the activity.  Nothing like this in central NY that I know of.  If anyone knows of anything by all means drop me a line. 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

don getz

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 04:35:03 PM »
Ian.....didn't want to try to find this in the Rand....where is "Lodi" in Ohio?   North, south, east or west of where?...Don

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 04:42:29 PM »
another Great Class. We were all able to check out the latest rifle of Ian's that was posted on the contemporary website. I am not sure about everyone else, but I always learn something new. The free exchange of ideas is wonderful. Thanks Jim and Ian for putting on the class. And thanks to the log cabin shop for hosting everyone. Not too many places were you can learn gun building in the middle of a longrifle museum.

Don, Lodi is not very far off of 71. It is a llittle over an hour and half above columbus and  I am not sure how far south it is of cleveland. I am guessing an hour. If you were to hop on 30 west from pennsylvania when you hit 71 head north and lodi is west of 71.

It was good talking to everyone again.
Untill next time.
Marc

Pratt

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 04:57:43 PM »
Don, it's in North Central part of Ohio, maybe a half hour drive west of Akron .You'd follow route 76/ 224  west out of Akron , cross route 71, get off the rt 42 exit and turn right, maybe a mile and you'd be there.

As always we had a lot of fun yesterday and nobody got wounded too bad. Tried a bunch of different stock finishing ideas on sample pieces and proved the fact that you need to try things out on scrap pieces before you commit to your stock! No two pieces of wood seem to react alike and there are a lot of variables in the   finishing / staining process.  Impossible to cover all of it in a day but we did give people some god things to think about.

We'll be posting information about future classes hopefully within the next few days, also will be announcing a new class to be held at the store.

Pratt

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »
Hey Marc, I guess you survived yesterday too. Thanks for making the drive up yesterday and bringing your new project along to share, sure it's going to be another nice one.

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »
Thank You for another informative and fun class day at the Log Cabin.  Both you and Jim are good at getting the idea across and making sure that the student is clear on the subject at hand.  What a wonderful chance to learn more about this interesting subject.  Thanks again.
BillP

Offline deano

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 04:35:45 PM »
Too bad these classes couldn't be set up on a webcast of some sort. Everyone on this forum is web savy enough to view the presentations.