Author Topic: Griffith Tool Company locks???  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Skychief

Griffith Tool Company locks???
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:26:35 AM »
Anyone familiar with Griffith Tool Company and their locks?   I recently purchased a rifle with one of their percussion locks on it.   I would appreciate any information/opinions about these locks.

Many thanks, Skychief.

PS...are they still in business?

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Griffith Tool Company locks???
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:43:35 AM »
I think I have a Griffith early Hawken style lock on my sons rifle. It looked like a good lock but the main spring wasnt quite as strong as I would like even though it was strong enough to get the job done. Dont know if they are still doing business .       Gary

Offline Skychief

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 03:51:09 AM »
Thanks Gary.

Maybe someone else will come along and shed some light on these locks.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 05:08:44 AM »
I think TC Albert is a friend of one of the brothers? Maybe he'll come around soon and help out!

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:17:03 AM »
They used to make a very nice 1" Hawken hooked breech set that matched their lock.  It was all machined and fit together like a glove, the breech plug to the tang and the snail to the lock plate cutout.  I don't think they are in business any longer.  Too bad. :(
DMR.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 05:03:25 PM »
As Dave said above, they are the only ones that I know of that made a good Hawken, hook breech plug.  They really fit
up well......I think they only made it in a 1" size.   Their locks were also  well made.    Never saw one with a weak main
spring, but I guess it could happen.   I think they sold everything to Dayton/Traister from out in the Wash/Oregon area.
I think they are still producing a Hawken kit..........Don

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 05:40:45 PM »
Don is right Dayton Traister has the Griffith Tool Company locks and a bunch of other stuff for Hawken rifles. Just google Dayton Traister.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 06:17:40 PM »
Thanks alot guys.

Naphtali

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »
Anyone familiar with Griffith Tool Company and their locks?   I recently purchased a rifle with one of their percussion locks on it.   I would appreciate any information/opinions about these locks.

Many thanks, Skychief.

PS...are they still in business?
Griffith's machinery was bought by the present owners of The Hawken Shop in Oak Harbor, WA. Having written that, be very careful when dealing with them.

omark

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 07:41:03 AM »
i have a hawken i built with griffith lock and plug. have used it about 30 yrs and no problems.   mark

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 04:19:21 PM »
Yes, the Hawken Shop/Dayton Traister has the Griffith parts.  I bought a Griffith lock from Track some years back & it was a mishmash of parts that would not stay cocked.  Dayton Traister fixed it for me, but the mainspring was still weak.  I swapped in an L & R or Davis which made it work well.  That being said, I agree with being careful with D/T.  They helped, but I had to get their attention. 
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.