Author Topic: George Heinemann  (Read 6454 times)

JOMRD

George Heinemann
« on: December 12, 2010, 04:57:13 PM »
Hello all....I'm not sure I'm in the right spot but here goes. A friend was just given a long rifle from a relative who recently passed away. He knows I'm a firearm collector, but unfortunately not long rifles. I said I would try to do some research for him. I don't have pictures but it's a near pristine gun as far as I could tell with a browned octagenal barrel and interestingly enough flint-lock on the left side instead of the right. Perhaps it was custom made that way??  It is signed on the top of flat of the barrel G (can't recall middle initial but there was one) Heinemann. Also on the right lock plat is his three initials. It's beautifully striped with brass hardware patch box etc fully stocked up to the muzzle and appears to have never been fired.

I found one reference to a Heinemann rifle on Gun Broker where the selle says he was a well respected Hew Hampshire gunmaker who is now deceased.

Appreciate any information you can provide. He basicall wants to know if it needs to be insured and put away or something he can shoot that has minimal collectability.

Well.. thanks inadvance all.

JOMRD
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:14:59 AM by JOMRD »

JOMRD

Re: George Heinemann
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 01:17:09 AM »
Also adding...i found a site with an old article in Popular mechanics (1982) that talks about a hand made long rifle made by a George heinemann from NJ not New Hampshire. Not sure if that helps...

Has anyone even heard of him? His reputation, quality of what he produced. etc.

Thanks JOMRD

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:33:05 AM »
George and his lovely wife used to come to Dixon's Fair each year.  He would always stop by my table and invite me to come see him in New Hampshire.  One year after Dixon's my wife and I went on up to Maine for a short vacation.  On the way back we were running a little short on money.  I decided to call George and see if he would put us up for the night.  He was truly excited that I would stay with him and let him show me his collection.  George was a hobby gunmaker who made attractive guns.  They were not exactly historically correct in terms of parts used or architecture, but George had fun building them.
George was also a collector of nautical paintings and had a house full of them.  In the hallway sat a miniture grandfather clock a little over four feet tall that had beautiful porportions just like many full size ones.  I immediately full in love with it and asked George if it might be for sale.  He said no and went on to explain that he purchased the clock years ago.  He said that shortly after he and his wife were married, and he had his first job, he had to walk to work each day and passed by an antique shop on way.  For a full month he and the wife literally ate beans while saving enough money to buy the clock.  It was one of his most prized pieces.  Later on that evening he started talking about what would happen to all his collection of paintings, guns, etc. when he died.  (George was up in years then.)  He said that none of his children had even the slightest interest in any of it and would probably call some auction house to sell everything when he was gone.
Moving forward a few years, I went to preview an upcoming antique auction one Friday evening at one of the better auction houses in the country, and right in front of the auctioneer's podium sat the little clock.  Not wanting to go back and sit through a two day auction, I left a bid on the clock never dreaming I might get it.  Monday morning I received a call saying come pick up your clock.  George's prized piece is now sits in my dining room and is a constant reminder of what a grand old gentleman George was.
As far as shooting his gun goes, I'm sure George would want you to load it up and have fun with it.  I doubt it would ever be a highly collectable piece to anyone outside George's immediate circle of family and friends, and his family didn't seem to have any interest in it.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »
Great story Jim.    I also remember him from Dixon's, probably sold him a barrel or two..................Don

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »
Well, add me to the list of readers that appreciated that story.  Good to hear that the clock in question ended up with someone that knows, understands and appreciates fine workmanship. :)

Offline cable

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 03:07:52 AM »
wonderful story with a truly proper ending........but....... could you post a picture o f the clock ?  an antique collector myself, i am fascinated with the story and what the clock may look like.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 05:00:01 AM »
I have taken some photos of the clock and will try to get Barbie to post them tomorrow.  The clock face is signed "Jas Spondlow"
                                                            "Brandon"
If anyone had any info on this clock maker I'd sure love to know what ever info we can find on him.  I believe it is an English made clock, but not sure.

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 12:47:39 AM »
Here are some photos:

If you have any info on this please let us know!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:48:26 AM by Blackpowder Barbie »
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline cable

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 03:30:31 AM »
That is a really fine piece, beautiful wood, lines, etc.   thank you for posting that.   i have seen a lot of tall case clocks, but a small one like that with beautiful understated georgian lines and details is a real treasure!!  thank you!

george17

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 01:54:30 PM »
Can U post my note to you on the George Heinemann forum???  Thank you in advance. George

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
I need to set the record streight on George.  Last week I received an email from George's son about George, his clock and his paintings.  It seems, among other things, George was a real story teller and the stories he told me during my visit were great stories but not exactly factual.  Here's the factual info from the son:
------------------------------------------------------
"Jim, I am George Heinemann's son, Dr. George Heinemann, Jr.  I read a post U wrote tonight on a Kentucky Rifle website.  My Dad died Sept 2008 & my Mother recently passed in March.
I am in the process of settling their estate at the home you stayed at in New Hampshire.  FYI, the clock you bought at aucton, was not my parents. Their clock, built by Oswald Stennes in Massachusetts, was purchased in 1965 & is the only grandmother clock in their homes..  That clock is now in my home along with two others I own.  My Dad was quite the story teller, we did not live on beans to buy the clock.. I was in high school (graduated in 1967) and enjoyed sailing on their 27 foot sailboat during those years, eating & drinking well.  My father always claimed nobody had any interest in his guns or beautiful art.  His view was his only!!!!!  I grew up competing at Fort Ticonderoga & Monroe, NY in black powder competition & in several .22 leagues as a teenager.  Our family was very successful in wins and my father became bored with competition & took up sailing & gave that up in the late 70's, boredom. He continued to build Kentucky rifles into his late 70's (died at 84) and was always helping others at the range or in their shops with black powder rifles.  In my 20's until now, I shoot several benchrest rifles, all custom built, and handguns....I went in a different direction than my Dad & for this he felt none of his family cared about his hobby.  I took up trapshooting in 1996, was our states Rookie of the Year and had high average for a few years.  I am proud to say I have run 200x200 from the 27 yard line.  I became bored with the sport 10 years ago like my Dad did w/ blackpowder competition & stopped competing for cheap prizes.  However, I remain a firearm recreational enthusiast shooting several days a week, reloading and tweaking the groups, all because of my intense interest in firearms from my upbringing.  My Dad made me a left-handed flintlock about 30 years ago. I shot it several times & retired it to the wall because I do not enjoy black powder shooting/cleaning etc.; this really disturbed Dad  I have it along with 3 others that remained in his collection hanging proudly in my home.  Dad never accepted all the deer I take with an in-line Ruger with a Leupold scope.  My three children, who all shot muzzle loaders w/ Dad, are not interested in firearms, although we shoot sporting clays and handguns a few times a year at my club together.  I do not hold their lack of interest in firearms or my love to play golf (they do not) against them. They are adults and have their own interest. However, all my children want one of Grandpa's rifles in their homes.  Regarding the beautiful nautical artwork we all loved, they are hanging in our homes.  Straight story from George's son.  I do appreciate all his skills and the basics he gave me to find my own ways.  Best, George Jr. (age 62)"