Author Topic: Domed lid endpiece  (Read 4235 times)

Offline flehto

Domed lid endpiece
« on: October 02, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »
Although I've made a few of the domed lid brass Pboxes and am currently making another, I'd be interested in how others attach the end plate. I just lay the end plate piece on the angled surface of the lid end and braze it on. The end plate projects below the lid surface and is mitered into the BP. Built one domed lid w/ a contoured  end plate inside the lid but it seemed to be more work. Never went to a MLer gunsmithing school and haven't had access to originals so any info would be greatly appreciated....Fred

idahjo

Re: Domed lid endpiece
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:03:23 PM »
[Not an "Original", but:] After I decided there were too many complex angles to maintain in making a one-piece hinge plate, silver solder worked for me at both ends. 

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »
Nice pics but is the pictured end plate attached to the inside of the dome or laid on the outside? Forgot to mention that my lid has flat areas outboard of the dome......Fred

George F.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 01:54:28 AM »
When I do my dome lid it looks like  the one pictured. I made a male/ female swage blocks out of maple, lay the lid in and insert whole mess into the vise and squeeze. After I make the lid and it"s all inletted properly. I mark out the curve according to the curve of the butt plate and shape it. First I cut it with the jewelers saw and bringing it to the proper position with a 1/2 round file.  Now for the end piece, I Take a piece of brass around .090 and scribe the curve outline, but I add alittle, like 3/16"on the bottom. Then  to get the proper tilt and angle of the butt plate it's just try a fit. when I get it filed pretty close, I lay a piece of emery/ sandpaper grit side up on the inside of the dome and hold that filler piece at the right angle and tilt and drag it back and forth over the inside of the lid over the sandpaper until I get a good lit. When its done to your satisfaction then flux it and silver solder the filler piece in. It fits on the inside so the top doesn't show the joint. When that's all done I  File the overhang off the bottom so the curved outside edges of the domed lid and the filler piece are flat across the end. Then I screw the finial down and fit the lid to the buttplate. Scribe the out side edges of the lid on the buttplate, then I take a triangular file and cut the edges just short of those marks. Then it's try and fit and file until you get the lid down  to its final height. Taking all the metal of the buttplate so you end up with a notch in the butt plate. I hope I explained it well.   ...Geo.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 02:40:02 AM »
Idahjo
 You did a nice looking job on that lid.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:40:45 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 04:06:42 AM »
I haven't made one of the dome lids that have kept the dome out to the butt plate but it would seem to me that it would be possible to shape the lid by using a mandrel just like you make a one piece nose cap. I know its cleaner to fit a piece and solder it vs pounding but with it all jigged up I think I could pound it over and file it up quicker than trying to fit that little piece in there. Some times its easier to talk about it vs doing it.
Dave Blaisdell

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:33:04 PM »
Well, here goes my way! First, I get my buttplate shaped fairly close. I leave enough extra metal there because during the final cleanup, you will file and sandpaper shape across the matching door endpiece angle. That end piece has to match both the vertical arc of the plate and the continued outer arc of its shape. After the my box and door is inlet and door is fit to the sides, I let the door overlap the buttplate and mark where the outer plate edge is on the door. In answer to your question, the end inserts inside so you only see the door. I take a rough sized piece thicker than the other box material, and scribe around the inside of the shape of the door to get the compound shape. Remember, its at an angle! Its a test fit, but does solder inside the door. I let it run a little wild (meaning a little outside) so I can file it all to the plates angle. You know, this aint easy to explain is it!?!

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 06:57:16 PM »
Thanks for the detailed responses and I've decided that  because of the staight areas on both sides of the dome as per the Haines LR, #78 , RCA 1, having the end plate butt the lid is a lot less work. I use a brazing mat'l that pretty well matches the brass so the braze line is nearly invisible. Thanks again.....Fred

idahjo

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 08:33:21 PM »
Nice pics but is the pictured end plate attached to the inside of the dome or laid on the outside? Forgot to mention that my lid has flat areas outboard of the dome......Fred

Both hinge and end plate were silver-soldered inside of the cap. 
...pretty much like George described it...
(Thanks, Jerry!)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:37:56 PM by idahjo »