Author Topic: A weight barrel in 45  (Read 9706 times)

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
A weight barrel in 45
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:19:27 PM »
Does anyone have an opinion or advice on an "A" weight barrel in 45 caliber?  weight, integrity etc, etc.

Thanks

Brett.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: A weight barrel in 45
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »
It will be easy to bend :o
Maybe a lot easier than one might think.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:23:15 PM »
I was afraid of that.  Perhaps B weight in a larger cal would be better and sacrifice a little slimness for sturdiness?

Brett.

roundball

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »
Does anyone have an opinion or advice on an "A" weight barrel in 45 caliber?  weight, integrity etc, etc.
Thanks
Brett.

I have a Rice 42" x .45cal B-weight swamped barrel coming...weighs 5.1 lbs.

They don't list .45cal in an A-weight.....but to my surprise...they do list a .50cal in an A=weight...called their 42" Southern Classic

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 09:44:23 PM »
Does anyone have an opinion or advice on an "A" weight barrel in 45 caliber?  weight, integrity etc, etc.
Thanks
Brett.
I wouldn't want one. I had a Green Mountain A profile .40 caliber. It was a 38 inch bbl and you could take each end in your hand and flex the barrel quite easily!

I am not aware of anyone that is making one as a standard offering.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »
I think I am convinced, B weight, 42 in 50.  My Wife should be able to handle that.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »
They don't list .45cal in an A-weight.....but to my surprise...they do list a .50cal in an A=weight...called their 42" Southern Classic
I have built several rifles using the Rice .50 B weight. Nice barrel and plenty light. I always solder the tenons that are in the mid=section.

I also have one of Rice's A weight .50 Calibers. Not sure why its called an A profile, it is no where near the swamp that's in the A or B profile. The mid-section thickness is thicker than on the B profile. (see this chart) http://www.ricebarrels.com/chart.html Plenty of meat but I will still solder those tenons.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »
I built two rifles around Don Getz's A .40 cal x 42" barrels.  I would not want a rifle to be any lighter than that.  The rifles weigh around 7 pounds if I remember correctly.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 11:17:20 PM »
I had a 44" A weight .40 a few years ago.  Shoots great feels great, but make sure you slot the underlugs.  You could watch it scatter rounds as it heated up.  Slotted the underlugs, and it straightened it right out.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 09:01:23 AM »
I use B wt. .50's all the time. A .45 A wt. is impossibly bad. Not feasible except for the insane.  For lightness in a .45 consider a 13/16 th straight about 38 in. A safe featherweight with great balance. A great ladies rifle. Rice will make these or cut and recrown a Green Mtn.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 09:25:20 AM »
How about a 45 "B" weight? It'd be sweet in a 42 incher.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »
I'm working on my son's first rifle now and I'm using a .50 cal B wieght 38" colerain barrel.  It wieghs 3.7 lbs.  The rifle I just finished has a 42" b wieght .45 colerain barrel, it's still a bit heavy for my wife.  That barrel wieghs in at 5 lbs.  One thing to remember a 42" b wieght profile is different that that of a 38" or 44" barrel. 
Here are some wieght comparisons.

38" B wieght barrel  .45 cal is 4.2 lbs,  .50 is 3.7lbs
42" B wieght barrel  .45 cal is 5.0 lbs, .50 is 4.5 lbs
44" B wieght barrel  .45 cal is 4.72lbs, .50 is 4.2 lbs. 

I have handled guns with b wieght barrels and was amazed how much difference a half pound makes.  I was also a bit suprised that due to the profile, the 44" barrel is lighter than the 42".   If I could ever convince my wife to get into shooting with us I'd build her a gun using a 38" b wieght barrel.  Those that prefer heavier guns will probably tell you different.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 05:36:07 PM »
I built two rifles around Don Getz's A .40 cal x 42" barrels.  I would not want a rifle to be any lighter than that.  The rifles weigh around 7 pounds if I remember correctly.

The GM 44" A weights in 40 cal have been shortened and are for a swivel breech that will have 40" barrels.
B weight 50s at 44 trimmed breech and muzzle to make 40" with a patent breech made into a an 11 pound swivel breech. This with a heavy early buttstock.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Herb

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
You did not say what length of barrel or style you want.  Go to www.ricebarrels.com and click on barrel specs.  It will give you weights of his barrels.  I like 38" B weight .50 caliber.  It is about as light as you can get, easy to handle, and suitable for most (probably all states) deer hunting laws.  EXAMPLES:  In 38" transitional series (Early American), an A.40 weighs 3.10 pounds.  A B.50 weighs 3.11 pounds.  A C.50 weighs 4.8 pounds (no .45 caliber)  These are with breech plugs fitted.  The B and C are available in .45 cal as a special order for Jim Chambers Issac Haines rifle.  You can probably buy one from him.  Ask Rice about this.   I plan to build two rifles for a girl and greatgrandson with his JLR .50 barrels, but he cuts them only about once a year on order.  It is described with dimensions but not weight, about like a B but a little fatter through the middle and .045 smaller at the muzzle, but only 34" long.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:39:56 PM by Herb »
Herb

billd

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »
Rice's Southern Classic does come in a .45 caliber.  It is the lightest 42" barrel you will get.    And just an FYI......When you're reading their barrel weight chart it's in pounds and ounces.  EXAMPLE:  4.11 lbs is actually 4 lbs. 11 ounces.   

Bill

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »
I have 2 A weights in .50 -Getz  and I love it and the Rice Southern (sitting right here) and its not stocked yet. Ibelieve Jason at Rice said it kinda falls inbetween A&B .
The Getz though is in my 1795 Abraham Schweitzer copy and it is an absolutely sweet gun. It dropped a buck in its tracks for me last fall. If you study the originals you will see that this type of barrel was extremely common. I do have to say though it does depend on what you are going to use it for. If its a serious target gun or chunk gun these are NOT the barrels for that. For hunting, primitive life in the woods, I highly recommend it. 
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Kermit

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 12:12:26 AM »
Since you didn't say what style you are going after, allow me to complicate the discussion by asking if you've considered an Octagon-To-Round rifled barrel. It'll be lighter than swamped, in most cases.

I have two: a 46" .50 and a 42" .54. IIRC, both are by Longhammock. The .54 quickly became my favorite in the field. Folks are always surprised at how both handle.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »
I was leaning towards the A weight in 42 inch, and concerned about the strength of the thin wall of the barrel, the overall weight wouldn't be much of a problem. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 07:41:36 PM »
Since you didn't say what style you are going after, allow me to complicate the discussion by asking if you've considered an Octagon-To-Round rifled barrel. It'll be lighter than swamped, in most cases.

I have two: a 46" .50 and a 42" .54. IIRC, both are by Longhammock. The .54 quickly became my favorite in the field. Folks are always surprised at how both handle.

+1.  Oct to round barrels can have plenty of breech thickness and be quite light.
Andover, Vermont